Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I hate this game  (Read 13253 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: I hate this game
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »

Short story: I hate this game, it won't let me finish thinking up ideas, there's way too much to do at the same time!

Dwarf Fortress: You can never have too many good ideas.

Welcome to Bay12, you. We hope you enjoy your stay. ;D

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:00:30 am »

Ah thanks for the hints, I misunderstood and thought you meant that it'd build the workshops for me.

But yeah, seeing that my above mentioned fort only has about 10 floors total (entrance hall with depot, U1 for farming, seedstorage and burial + waterfall start, u2 with dining hall food / drink storatge, U3 with all my current industries and workshops as well as a really large stockpile area, and some levels below I mined nearly the whole level up to 5 squares to the border for gems and ores)...

I mean really, I only dug some diagonal lines on my ONE mining floor, and 2 forges melters and asheries are working all round to melt the iron and a bit platinum out of it. Oh and 2 Jewelers doing nothing but cutting those gems.
Okay it's my own fault, I set up my world so that I had the "perfect" location. I thought
Okay, this game is fiddly and you're new and you're gonna die to a numerous horrible causes, so let's start off with good conditions.
Whenever I generated worlds with more than 5 years history, all "good" embarks were given to other civs, good embarks for me being No Aq, Flux, Clay, Soil, River, Shallow MetalS, Deep MetalS, with wood and vegitation. Found a location? YES! Free? No, elves or humans or dwarves on it, damn it!
With only 5 years and on an Island with no goblins and only Dwarves to trade and that "perfect" embark, maybe a bit much resources...

I just reverted my woodstockpile to a QS, after I thought my dwarves needed something to do and designated the whole ground level for woodcutting and plant gathering... now I have an endless stream of 1/4 of my 50 dwarves carrying stuff.

I think I should just dig down to the caverns and hope for enemies in there?
Oh another question: is there a z level where the caverns are BOUND to be?
Like, how deep can I layout my fort from the start without the worry to hit a cavern?
If I hit the cavern and want another entrance so that maybe-dangers have a longer way to enter (through a trapfloor or military grounds, instead of getting in my center staircase), can I seal the inital stairway safe?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:12:48 am by deepdowner »
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:02 am »

For the OP, let me suggest DwarfHack, it can be used for cheatin' but if you can restrain from that it is a brilliant way to automatize some of the indurstries, so you can focalise on other more interesting ones.

How exactly? (I read through the functions but didn't see one of those except quickdig?)

workflow count ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE 10
workflow count PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT 10
workflow count SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES 10

Never have to worry about making clothes again, and with a little more work, never have to worry about the textile industry ever again.

Is there any FAQ for DFHack's workflow? For me the tool's help function and the explanation on their side is not revealing enough.

Seven-Colored Uristeer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14:40 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is just an advanced case of Stockholm Syndrome. :D

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 06:35:39 pm »

Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
This goes to my signature
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »

I think I started to literally hate this game after the only decent soldier in my fort went into a strange mood, refused to pick up the objects that he demanded yet were well within his reach, and then promptly went insane.

So, yeah.  Lost my only fighter to the broken mechanics of the game.  Go DF.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »

Oh sure, blame the game!

He probably was assigned to a burrow!

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:22 pm »

I find that 70% of peoples problems are user error. 10% is divided amongst aliens and idiots. And the last 20% is a criminal lack of tacos.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 03:14:12 am »

That reminds me. I need more tacos.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:13 am »

I find that 70% of peoples problems are user error. 10% is divided amongst aliens and idiots. And the last 20% is a criminal lack of tacos.
I think its more like 80%, 15% and 5%.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 09:06:02 am »

I think I started to literally hate this game after the only decent soldier in my fort went into a strange mood, refused to pick up the objects that he demanded yet were well within his reach, and then promptly went insane.

So, yeah.  Lost my only fighter to the broken mechanics of the game.  Go DF.
I think its more like 80%.

You do know that moody dwarves require:

a. the type of materials requested.
b. the workshop which serves the said materials (eg smith-type workshop for metallic items..)
c. No pathing restrictions and a clear way for the dwarf to get to said workshop.

:P

Dwarves are bound by law and order and shall not risk breaking them for anything. It is only when they lose their willpower will they snap.

> Tantrum spiral.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

You do know that moody dwarves require:

a. the type of materials requested.
b. the workshop which serves the said materials (eg smith-type workshop for metallic items..)
c. No pathing restrictions and a clear way for the dwarf to get to said workshop.

:P

Dwarves are bound by law and order and shall not risk breaking them for anything. It is only when they lose their willpower will they snap.

> Tantrum spiral.

Yes, I do know that.  And I also know that I met all of those conditions for the dwarf - he asked for bones, wood, blocks, and cut gems.  I had a huge stockpile of skeletons and corpses underneath the room in which his chosen workshop was located.  There were stockpiles no more than ten tiles from his workshop full of cut gems, wood of five different varieties, and both metal and wooden blocks, again of multiple species/types.  I had no burrows (apart from my overall fortress burrow which has no one assigned to it except during sieges) or other restrictions inhibiting his pathing or access to materials.  He just stood in the workshop until he went insane, then later starved to death.

I'm perfectly familiar with how strange moods work; isn't my first fortress (I just created it after tiring of the FPS death experienced when running my other 15+ year old fortress with a population of over 250 dwarves).  Considering how often my marksdwarves neglect to pick up their ammunition before going into battle despite ample amounts being assigned to them and the presence of more quivers than the number of soldiers in my entire military, assuming that this is due to poor software design or a bug is not that great of a stretch.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:49:48 pm by Dirac »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »

Diagnosing the cause of a material-based strange mood failure is the task of madmen and fools.

Let me see if I can pinpoint the problem for you.

Hmmm ...

The only thing I see in your description that might have been trouble is

both metal and wooden blocks,

Perhaps he needed stone blocks?
Another option would be that he was in a fell or macabre mood, and needed bones of a certain (sapient) type.

Dr. Urist McMadman, signing off.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 07:09:24 am »

Oh sure, blame the game!

He probably was assigned to a burrow!

Actually, no, he wasn't.  Congrats for talking out of your ass.

The only thing I see in your description that might have been trouble is

both metal and wooden blocks,

Perhaps he needed stone blocks?
Another option would be that he was in a fell or macabre mood, and needed bones of a certain (sapient) type.

I had stone blocks as well.  And he wasn't in either a fell or macabre mood.  I'm not asking for people to diagnose this issue or find an excuse for Toady's poor programming, I was just responding to the thread's topic.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:40 am »

Yes, I do know that.  And I also know that I met all of those conditions for the dwarf - he asked for bones, wood, blocks, and cut gems.  I had a huge stockpile of skeletons and corpses

Skeletons and corpses do _not_ fulfil the request for bones. They are unprocessed dead stuff and need a butcher's work to be processed into stacks of "[creature] bone [n]", where n should be at least 2. Only such bones can be used for bonecarving and bonecarving moods.

If someone asks for bones and you think you have it covered, better slaughter a puppy, just in case. Eh, it's too late now anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3