Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I hate this game  (Read 13458 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: I hate this game
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:50 am »

Yes, I do know that.  And I also know that I met all of those conditions for the dwarf - he asked for bones, wood, blocks, and cut gems.  I had a huge stockpile of skeletons and corpses

Skeletons and corpses do _not_ fulfil the request for bones. They are unprocessed dead stuff and need a butcher's work to be processed into stacks of "[creature] bone [n]", where n should be at least 2.

Larix speaks true here, Dirac. :P

Checking the items--you really need to Butcher the skeleton/corpse first.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:28 am »

If someone asks for bones and you think you have it covered, better slaughter a puppy, just in case. Eh, it's too late now anyway.

Larix speaks true here, Dirac. :P

Checking the items--you really need to Butcher the skeleton/corpse first.

Tried that.  Actually, it was a yak since the meat yield/required pasture space ratio is so low compared to other grazing animals.  In any case, it didn't work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:44:10 am by Dirac »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 12:27:08 pm »

What animal did the dwarf like the most?
But yah, when in doubt kill one of all.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Onomatopoeia

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A medium-sized creature fond of fry bread.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »

I have been playing this game for over a year now...ever since the June 2012 version release (kind of missed out on the previous versions, and their fun). I do not mean to boast, but I accepted the ASCII graphics as being a veteran of ASCII based games. The interface is another situation..I am still discovering new commands, and their uses.
  Ever since this game has stuck with me with its fascinating stories, and seemingly endless possibilities. I have only recently begun posting in the forums, yet I have browsed them for ideas, and solving problems since I started playing. I thank you all that have provided help, and advice to new players...I probably would not have gotten so far if not for you good samaritans..er, dwarves. Now my family, and friends cringe whenever I mention dwarves.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

There is a club for that. Welcome to the Forums of Distrust and Dislike of the Dwarves.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »

Oh sure, blame the game!

He probably was assigned to a burrow!

Actually, no, he wasn't.  Congrats for talking out of your ass.

The only thing I see in your description that might have been trouble is

both metal and wooden blocks,

Perhaps he needed stone blocks?
Another option would be that he was in a fell or macabre mood, and needed bones of a certain (sapient) type.

I had stone blocks as well.  And he wasn't in either a fell or macabre mood.  I'm not asking for people to diagnose this issue or find an excuse for Toady's poor programming, I was just responding to the thread's topic.

You've made a couple of references to Toady's "poor programming," and several comments about how dissatisfied you are with the game.
You are entitled to that opinion. Personally, I'd be a little more cautious complaining about the programming of such a complex game, done by two people. Especially since the game is still in development. Were this an EA game, out on the shelves now, I could see the issue.

Dwarf moods are interesting. I wasn't trying to "help" you, so much as I was curious about the mood.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »

Eh, dorfs are disposable beards with some meat attached. If a mood fails, no biggie, unless it was a weaponsmith mood or something superawesomevaluable.

similarly, fighters are disposable meatshields until they hit legendary and prove their badassery by ripping goblins apart with their teeth. You can always train more melee fighters by throwing a hammer at a random migrant, and with crossbowdwarves it's even easier. Throw a quiver of bolts and a wood crossbow at 'em and stick 'em behind some fortifications and you're done. Easy.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »

There is a club for that. Welcome to the Forums of Distrust and Dislike of the Dwarves.

All dwarfcraftship is of the highest quality. It is decorated by colorful characters. On it are images, too numerous to recount. It menaces with spikes of perplexity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:11 am »

Eh, dorfs are disposable beards with some meat attached. If a mood fails, no biggie, unless it was a weaponsmith mood or something superawesomevaluable.
Every day I lose my soapmaker to a shell mood is a tragedy; it means I'll have to tell another Dwarf "you're the soapmaker" now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]