Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I hate this game  (Read 13249 times)

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
I hate this game
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:00:19 am »

Well, a friend of mine recommended Dwarf Fortress to me, about a few months back.
I tried to get into it but it was just too... fiddly to grasp at first, until he showed me the lazy Newb pack.

I watched a few HowToPlay videos and read my way through the forums during school, often with laughattacks over mining accidents and military biting stories.

Now I play since 1 week, and I currently hold my 3rd fort due to my perfectionism. (Which means I had no losses [except a handful of dwarves] so far, but wanted to do better after seeing basic setup or layout faults).
Well okay, the last one had a minor fault: While I dug up my first well I misunderstood the channel designation. A few minutes later I wondered why my basin for the top well would not fill up, until I noticed the swimming dwarves in my dining hall one  z level down.

If I play DF before going to bed I have Dwarves digging behind my eyes and sometimes I sit at work, trying to conentrate and have a streak of 'the next step to do when I start up DF' thoughts.

My current fort is set up with 60 dwarf limit (more and everything gets out of hand), and just yesterday made my first functional well with an underground waterfall channel leading away from the river, falling 7z levels before I undo the waterpressure for a basin room with wells directly over one another up to the entrance hall. Just as I woke up I figured I could stop the waterflow and put some grates in (having emergency drawbridges in place to hold the river out, but set up that a moody dwarf can't just pull a lever an flood my fortress). And just while I type I want to dig another branch off the river which falls directly down where I will dig after I melted the ore of my whole mining floor from yesterday. In the meantime I have 2 smiths making steel armor and weapons for my squad.

Short story: I hate this game, it won't let me finish thinking up ideas, there's way too much to do at the same time!
Excuse me, I have to find out why those damn turkey hen won't breed in the nestbox I put up for her.
And grates for the waterfall.
And finish exploring my whole mine level with the diagonal digging.
And train my squad with their soon finished steel weapons.
And find out why my animals breed so slowly, I want a nonstop meat industry.
And dig my second waterfall once my military is ready, so I can dig deeper and maybe put all quarters down 10 or 20 levels to cut traveling up and down short.
And think about getting a safe upstairs farmplot.
And start the last industry branches and workshops.
Oh I still need to put up medical care... and kill some useless migrants with no useful skills to train, once set up...

Damn I hate this game  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:03:59 am by deepdowner »
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: I hate this game
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:05:02 am »

It's Dwarf Fortress. It's supposed to be like that. We all hate it sometimes.

ObiWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:11:42 am »

We are not in this forum because we like Dwarf Fortress, we hate it. This is just a support group of Dwarf Fortress victims.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:15:59 am »

Besides, you are doing better than I often do.

Ah, crashes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:32:48 am »

Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »

Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:52:39 pm »

I'm strongly tempted to sig that.

Edit: Oh, come on, didn't I get dibs or something? Like three people took it after I did! Now I guess I gotta unsig it :/

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »

At first I thought you literally "hated" this game and wanted to tell us so.

And then I realized you must be feeling this twisted love we all hold for this magical simulator of blood, death, and destruction!

Welcome to Bay12!  :D

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:03:45 pm »

I'm strongly tempted to sig that.

You beat me to it.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:17:32 pm »

Welcome to the forums! Yeah, that sounds like the way I used to be with the game, and now feel I'm getting to be again.

Back to the fort! Much to do.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:20:12 am »

For the OP, let me suggest DwarfHack, it can be used for cheatin' but if you can restrain from that it is a brilliant way to automatize some of the indurstries, so you can focalise on other more interesting ones.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:27 am »

For the OP, let me suggest DwarfHack, it can be used for cheatin' but if you can restrain from that it is a brilliant way to automatize some of the indurstries, so you can focalise on other more interesting ones.

How exactly? (I read through the functions but didn't see one of those except quickdig?)
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:15:38 am »

How exactly? (I read through the functions but didn't see one of those except quickdig?)

DFHack has production automation and such.  For instance, you can set a carpenters shop to make beds until you have 10 free ones, which it auto suspends the order when you hit that, and whenever you dip below 10, it will automatically reactivate the work order.  Or a tailor shop to make shoes, shirts, and pants until there are 50 free of each, and when your dwarves go to pick up new clothes and it drops below 50, automatically start making them again.  Amongst other useful things.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:26:07 am »

workflow count ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE 10
workflow count PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT 10
workflow count SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES 10

Never have to worry about making clothes again, and with a little more work, never have to worry about the textile industry ever again.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 02:37:27 pm »

and as you can explicitly choose material for most of the workshop with DFHack, you can also make it sure you have all kind of ingreediens, colors flawors to maximise happines for dwarves. (there is a very good faq for DFHack that is why i haven't explained ... you can almost understand it if you know somewhat programming :D )
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2 3