Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Story Maker 1.0  (Read 67824 times)

TheGazelle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Story Maker 1.0
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

This is a basic little tool to help people put together stories of their fortresses.

It uses the gamelog.txt file, which stores every announcement ever made for any fortress you've played on that install of the game, and pulls out only the lines that interests you, saving them in another text file.

Download : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7832

This is just a very basic version that I threw together fairly quickly. I will be working on a more advanced version with a lot more features to be released hopefully sometime in the next few months. Unfortunately, this is windows only (no idea if it would work through WINE or anything, as it relies on .NET), but the advanced version WILL be cross-platform.

Questions/bugs/etc. please email to dfstorymaker@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:02:33 pm by TheGazelle »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Story Maker 1.0
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

PTW, and looking forward to the advanced version. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 03:59:45 am »

I think I read about this on reddit a while ago. I downloaded it and will have a look. Would you mind if I include this in MasterworkDF, if everything works like intended?

I already have the Overseer noble and the forumdwarves script for dfhack that help with succession forts, but this will be even better. :)

EDIT: Oh, and after testing it, here a request: Transformations Option. Only looks for entries like: "creature 1 has transformed into"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:48:25 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheGazelle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »

I think I read about this on reddit a while ago. I downloaded it and will have a look. Would you mind if I include this in MasterworkDF, if everything works like intended?

I already have the Overseer noble and the forumdwarves script for dfhack that help with succession forts, but this will be even better. :)

EDIT: Oh, and after testing it, here a request: Transformations Option. Only looks for entries like: "creature 1 has transformed into"

I'll add that into the next update.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:54:47 am »

There's a new dfhack script that writes identifiers for the loaded world to the gamelog immediately on opening - which could be used at some point to create per-fort histories even for people who constantly switch between a number of different forts. It's in the updated LNP in the sidebar since r27 as a future-proofing measure for long forts, and ready to be taken advantage of in a minor update or after the major one.

Just updated, hopefully for the last time, and now outputs: 
Loaded region2, Boldoltar (The Cyclopean Land) at coordinates (139,155)
 Loaded the fortress Sazirust (Bridgebreach), colonized by the group Idithmestthos (The Systemic Citadel) of the civilization Endok Limar (The Attic of Wealths).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:27:56 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 03:22:41 pm »

Could this be applied to Legends Mode histories as well?  Say, for a specific site, there's usually this long list of stuff that you need to scroll slowly down, scanning as you go.  Being able to get that into a text file then cut out "so and so stopped being a ranger in..." would be very helpful.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 03:30:12 pm »

Doesnt Legends Viewer allow this? I think its a bit more complex then reading a single txt file.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »

This will be useful.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheGazelle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:22:39 am »

Could this be applied to Legends Mode histories as well?  Say, for a specific site, there's usually this long list of stuff that you need to scroll slowly down, scanning as you go.  Being able to get that into a text file then cut out "so and so stopped being a ranger in..." would be very helpful.

I've never really looked into Legends mode, so I have no idea. If there's some way to dump all the info from Legends into some sort of file, I could probably use that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:07 am »

Yes, its an XML file and several bmps. But have a look at the legends viewer first, not that you'll do work thats already done.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »

Edit:

Forget it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:59:45 pm by Couchmonster »