Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Here lies Wagon: may he rest in peace  (Read 125256 times)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here lies Wagon: may he rest in peace
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 03:04:55 am »

You realize that a wagonmancer would be someone who divines the future by means of wagons, right?

Sorry, just tired of this "whatever-mancy" stuff when "-mancy" means "divination".
/autism

Yes, the Greek root "-mancy" originally meant for divination, but the English language has  hijacked the root and all associated words to describe any form of specialized magic, a use found within this very game as Necromancers act to use the dead, not divine information from them. For that matter, the last time I heard the Greek use of "-mancy" was in the book Neuromancer, and that was made decades ago. Additionally, the insistence of the use of Greek definitions shows a poor grasp of the English language, where (for example) the words Necromancy, Pyromancy, and etcetera have been redefined to reflect their popular usage.

Also, wagonurgy sounds moronic.

/also an autist

Insisting that people actually use shit correctly is not "a poor grasp of the English language", it's asking them to actually think for a fucking second about the words they're using. English is my native language if you're doubtful.

I'd prefer to call it "Wagoncraft", anyway. Anglish FTW.

It's a poor grasp of the English language because you're clinging to outmoded definitions as if they were the absolute. Despite the root in Greek, the word (and I'm going to use this for all examples out of simplicity's sake), "necromancer," has become divorced from its point of origin in the same way the word, "philosopher," has.

English, as a language, has no governing body unlike languages such as German or French, so all words are defined by popular usage and public opinion. Again, as evidenced by the use of the word, "necromancer," in game to refer to one who raises the dead as minions, along with enough usage in popular media with the same definition (as opposed to the original Greek definition), we may conclude that the word, "necromancer," is popularly defined as, "a magic user who harnesses the dead."

Just as the word, "philosopher," no longer refers to anyone who calls themselves a, "lover of knowledge," but instead has become the domain of those interested in the nonphysical realms of thought such as ethics and logic, the word, "necromancer," has had its meaning displaced from, "one who divines information by communing with the dead," to instead apply to any magic user who interact with the dead in ways different from making them.

Note: Typed at the same time as Yazman, but still posting. Thanks man!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:37 am »

I understand everyone's viewpoints on the correct usages of the words and their old and new meanings, and support everyones' rights to opinions, but I'd like to suggest the subject be dropped before tensions rise any higher.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 03:39:02 am »

Enough wagon of the tongues, back on track before someone gets injured.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 03:55:44 am »

I humbly propose the alternative term "Wagonbender". Now everyone can shut the fuck up and get back to the crazy.
This is a blank sig.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2013, 04:34:45 am »

You realize that a wagonmancer would be someone who divines the future by means of wagons, right?

Sorry, just tired of this "whatever-mancy" stuff when "-mancy" means "divination".
/autism
[deleted text]

Also, wagonurgy sounds moronic.

/also an autist

Not to mention vaguely sexual.  Obligatory-funny/related-comic -> http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/03/28

Yazman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:29 am »

Holy Armok, that was glorious!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:00 am »

You axle, that pun made me wheel about in shock. I need a hub.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

A thread started regarding honoring the dearly departed Wagon. A hard working individual that was cut down, after centuries of work, by a simple bridge malfunction. Somehow we started off with reverance before shortly delving into science, philosophy, and even language itself. Even after YEARS this forum never ceases to amaze or get old, even to a lurker like me.

Bravo
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

Rainbow_Lizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Killing Kea 8 days a week
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:47 am »

Wagons already have stance parts, the wheels.
I'm talking about Limbs. They need the [LIMB] tag, and the Stance parts need to be connected. They technically don't roll, the wheels aren't circular, they may as well be feet.
The sponge now has a natural predator: THE WAGONMANCER

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 11:15:31 am »

Wagons already have stance parts, the wheels.
I'm talking about Limbs. They need the [LIMB] tag, and the Stance parts need to be connected. They technically don't roll, the wheels aren't circular, they may as well be feet.

Okay, I was trying to not write a list earlier but let's stop this nonsense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:30 pm »

You axle, that pun made me wheel about in shock. I need a hub.
These puns make me feel like we should put on trail and given the ox.

Bumber McWagonwood, Carpenter, has died of dysentery.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:53:45 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »

This thread makes me want to spontaneously deconstruct and spill my contents everywhere.

Edit: I appear to have cursed myself. I just started a new embark and guess what? The cart exploded and spilled parts everywhere...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:57:29 pm by Snateraar »
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:30 am »

This thread makes me want to spontaneously deconstruct and spill my contents everywhere.

Edit: I appear to have cursed myself. I just started a new embark and guess what? The cart exploded and spilled parts everywhere...

I once embarked at the edge of a mountain range and brought nothing but a ton of iron ore and bituminous coal. My idea was to break down the wagon, use the wood to make some charcoal, kick off some working furnaces from there and I'd be all set.

Unfortunately for me the very center of the map was a steep ridge with a one tile wide peak, so I didn't even get a wagon. And I don't mean it auto-scuttled, I mean I started with a pile of rocks, seven dwarves and a dozen dogs at the very top of a rocky point.

I appear to have cursed myself. I just started a new embark and guess what? The cart exploded and spilled parts everywhere...

It has begun... Cartmageddon.

[pedantic post about the etymology of the name Armageddon]
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:12 am »

The end times are upon us, when all wagons shall be scuttled and Dwarven Civilization shall descend into anarchy! Wagnarok is upon us!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19