Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 59

Author Topic: Pixel Piracy Brought to you by the creators of Terraria  (Read 133883 times)

Vitali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pixel Piracy BAY12 NEW ALPHA 16/10/2013
« Reply #570 on: October 16, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »

Do enemies killed with cannons now drop gold?  Otherwise you're really kinda shooting yourself in the foot by taking out that kind of income...  Also, did the trading interface get a workover?  Now that we have limited items, I'm kinda seeing bartering as having increased importance.  And do pirates actually equip purchased weapons now?

Anyways, looking forward to checking out the new version and all its tweaks.  Nice work!

No matter how i build my ship, it always sinks to just below waterline. help?

Don't build the floor of the ship where it says "start point".  Instead, put one line of blocks there, then your proper floor at least one level up above it.  Unless actual ship-physics have been added, which I doubt, then you can actually build hoverships that aren't in contact with the water at all by simply building them higher up on the grid.

Any way of killing enemy or your ally will net your team a loot. So yeah, exploding enemies will now give loot aswell. As for shop and equip interface, expect those in 0.3.4.0 or 0.3.5.0

Vitali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 16, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »

0.3.3.1 ALPHA

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9866528/SHIP/new/0.3.3.1.rar

Features:
  • BUG fixes related to Tribal Spawning, that cause crashes on 0.3.3.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:01:55 pm by Vitali »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »

The link you gave redirects to 0.3.3.0, rather than 0.3.3.1, but plugging in the URL itself gets the desired result.  Much obliged!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2013, 03:01:45 pm »

A number of these are probably unimplemented features, but crew and inventory do not yet work.

Reaching a node on a multi-stage journey wipes the rest of the route.

One of the journey scenes didn't end - no idea why, exited and reloaded and it went back to normal.

That's all I've found. great game still :D
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Vitali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:19 pm »

i think sjm it was caused by tribal error.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

hunger bar still going down way too fast and they pooping too much

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »

At this point, I'm still not sure how to even buy stuff and hire pirates.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »

Opened chest close to the water and half of the money went down to the water, should be possible to give orders when paused, when u take a course and stop for encounter then course disapair and u have to set it up again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

Pirate poop is balanced out by sailors now actually doing their jobs, which is appreciated.  Food also lasts longer, which is particularly nice now that we have to actually buy the stuff...

I'm not sure exactly at what points the new items are stocked, but I haven't seen any yet (so far highest level of the captain has been 5).  Also, natives have obscene amounts of health, seems like 60+...  I barely escaped with my facial hair, but I was lucky enough to bump into an uninhabitated island with a treasure chest, so I might make a comeback yet.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »

fishing doesnt work, tribals gets pushed in the water and bump there, when i order my pirates to grapple back to the ship then tribals fell down to the water

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »

Woppwopp

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2013, 04:29:07 pm »

fishing doesnt work, tribals gets pushed in the water and bump there, when i order my pirates to grapple back to the ship then tribals fell down to the water

Funny, fishing is working just fine for me.  You don't get fish THAT often, but that's fine because they provide a lot of supplies.  You just need to buy a fishing pole (expensive) and get a fisherman to man it (also expensive).  After that, you're pretty much set as far as food is concerned, at least so long as you have a cook.

There's actual gameplay now!  Woohoo!  And...  It's bloody difficult, too.  Now it's a real fight and press for luck in order to make it far enough to get established.

Some things I've noticed:
Ship parts seem prohibitively expensive.  I haven't bought a single extra piece yet, and I think it will be quite a while yet before I do, simply because there's so much else I could be spending that hard-earned money on instead.  Ship's wheels are particularly bad, costing somewhere around 300 gold each for an item that may or may not have a use at this point.  Which is a shame, because now there's actually a reason to build stuff.

Personally, I actually preferred the old icons for the captain and navigator (star and wheel, respectively), but that's just taste.

Useful exploits for those of you having a hard time surviving:

"Foodscumming") If you have a piece of food that's just about to run out, go into the ship menu and remove it, then place it back.  It will have restocked itself fully for no cost.

Encounter avoidance) If you're stuck in an encounter you know you can't win, exit to the menu and load your game again.  The enemy ship will have disappeared.

EDIT:  There seem to be a LOT of ships on the horizon...  Like, an incredible amount of water traffic.  Doesn't seem particularly intentional.

Encounters can always be dangerous, regardless of how weak the enemy are, because you never know when one of your crewmen will stop just a little bit short on his line and throw himself into the water...  Rest in piece, brave/stupid fisherman.

Buy/sell prices seem a bit lopsided.  You can either buy a fish for 60gp, or sell one for 6...  But hey, I guess that's why I'm a pirate, eh?

Tribals are still absolutely nuts.  I had three men attack one lonely islander and only then did they manage to defeat him...  And even then, that was only because they managed to push him back across the island and eventually shove him off into the sea with half his health remaining.

Considering how, um, "short-lived" pirates tend to be, it might be nice if the few existing taverns restocked a bit more frequently...  But that's all up to tweaking.

Oh, yeah...  Since mutiny no longer exists, nothing special happens when pirates reach 0 morale.  ...except that they start getting negative morale, and there doesn't appear to be a limit.  Mousing over my crew shows me white bars stretching back off the panel they're supposed to be in, covering over the word "morale", and heading off towards the left side of the screen.  They must really, REALLY hate life on the sea...

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 17, 2013, 12:22:08 am »

There's some bug between encounters that makes you travel forever and you have to reload the game, where can i buy fishing rod and cannons?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:59 am »

Okay, here's some first impressions on the 0.3.3.1 build:
(I haven't read that much about the game recently in this thread, I wanted to start fresh like a new player would).

How do I equip my crew? How do I know what all the traits, jobs, and equipment does? Can I switch jobs on my crewmen? Certain times clicking on my entire crew in a cluster will give orders to the captain only, other times it's to the entire crew. What's the difference between those? Why did my crew level up during travel time when nothing else was happening?

Doing business with the doorway to a shop and not the shopkeeper is a little weird.
Sometimes I click around to explore on a friendly island and my captain randomly stabs someone, then gets mauled and dies.
My captain just randomly died in a friendly village, dropped all his gold. He wasn't starving or wounded.
Does food have portions or duration? If yes, how many or how long? (I read "nutrition value" as how long after eating it takes to get hungry again, not how long the food itself lasts)
Why do some of my crew run past a fight already in progress, to go pick another fight? There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many people can be fighting at once, so why did they ignore one fight and go start another?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:40 am »

How do I equip my crew? How do I know what all the traits, jobs, and equipment does? Can I switch jobs on my crewmen? Certain times clicking on my entire crew in a cluster will give orders to the captain only, other times it's to the entire crew. What's the difference between those? Why did my crew level up during travel time when nothing else was happening?
You don't equip your crew, that functionality doesn't exist yet.  They use the weapons they spawn with, and that's it.  I don't think traits do anything yet, they're just there as a placeholder.  Equipment stats can be viewed when mousing over the equipped item when your captain is holding it (the only intentionally selectable pirate at this time).  As for jobs, you basically just have to know or guess what each job is supposed to do.  You cannot switch jobs on anyone.  Right-clicking is used for issuing orders to your crew via the pop-up menu, and will issue orders in an area around where you clicked, left-clicking is used to tell the captain.

Traveling experience is just there because they're out living the piratical life and doing something, and therefor gaining experience.  It lets your otherwise not-particularly-fighty crewmen get experience in your crew without having to kill people that often.

Sometimes I click around to explore on a friendly island and my captain randomly stabs someone, then gets mauled and dies.
Left-clicking will tell your captain to either move to the point clicked, or attack any non-crewman person standing at that point.  If, when you click, the little confirmation circle is red instead of green, you know you issued an attack order.  Try clicking a bit above the heads of people if you want to move through a crowd.

Does food have portions or duration? If yes, how many or how long? (I read "nutrition value" as how long after eating it takes to get hungry again, not how long the food itself lasts)
Yes, food has a certain amount it fills before it gets used up.  Food that isn't eaten does not appear to spoil on its own.  Now quit reading "nutrition value" that way and read it the proper way! (hunger increases at the same rate regardless of what type of food was eaten, a food's value just determines how much of it can be eaten before it disappears)

Why do some of my crew run past a fight already in progress, to go pick another fight? There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many people can be fighting at once, so why did they ignore one fight and go start another?

When first attacking, crewmen will default to one-on-one combat with the enemy, rather than everyone lumping up on the same guy and butchering him.  Any crewmen "left over" will then find someone to gang up on.  This makes the number of combatants actually fairly important, as even a small size difference between forces will have a compound effect.  Note that you appear to have some greater amount of control in deciding who your captain fights with, and he will occasionally listen to you if you single out specific opponents for him to slice.

EDIT:  Found another something that needs fixing.  If you have some type of food that needs preparing, a cook may come and start preparing it but get distracted before he gets very far.  This leaves it with a very low "food" rank and a very high "stock" rank, as one would expect.

However, if a pirate takes a bite of it when it's in that state, when the "food" bar is empty the item is removed, ignoring the remaining stock.

EDIT2:  Cannons, tables, sails and masts all cost 0gp to purchase, whereas bowsprits cost some 198gp per section.  A stack of 5 bombs costs 98, making cannons prohibitively expensive both in money and space to use "normally".  Also, if you have multiple cannons, the cannoneer will keep reloading the first one until all others are loaded...  Which, naturally, doesn't happen.  So, he ends up stacking one cannon full of 10+ shots which he will then fire (one at a time, thankfully/sadly) at the enemy in the next combat.

Thanks for putting in the safeguard that makes them stop shooting if the enemy is on your boat...  That's very highly appreciated.  It'd be nice if that extended to enemies that are in the process of grappling over to your boat, when they are impossible to hit.

EDIT3:  Aaand now I've run into a strange bug where my save file apparently keeps getting reset.  So the extended ship I *did* build (twice now) is gone, as is my treasure and experience.  I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but I think it might have something to do with exiting/reloading the game to fix locked travel scenes.

EDIT4: Yep, there is some SERIOUS savegame weirdness going on here.  I'd just tricked out my ship with a couple expansions, and while doing a back-and-forth dance with the bombs in order to get the brand new cannons properly loaded, I accidentally hit the "exit game" button.  I loaded the file right back up again, and found that I was back in the old unexpanded boat with none of the spare parts I had, the 2gp I had left over from buying the parts, and suddenly I was located at a port with two shops (thus not the port I *had* been parked at) with nobody manning them.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 59