Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 68743 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:18 pm »

Alright.

Going faster doesn't actually help us here. We want to outmanoeuvre the enemy, so we want to match their pace and keep them from shooting us while we try to line up shots on them. Two speed gives us sharper turning, which means we can match their turn and keep them from heading us off.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2013, 10:59:27 pm »

How far can I jump?
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:44 pm »

Which team are you on, again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:41 pm »

Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2013, 11:05:55 pm »

If he jumps, can I shoot him with my pistols as he's flying?

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:28 pm »

If I jump, can I throw my saber at him?
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:08 pm »

If I jump, can I throw my saber at him?
Um, guys. I'm pretty sure that you can't jump from one ship to the other unless they are un adjacent squares. Our ships are probably hundreds of meters apart right now.

Also, thanks, Remu. (if it's fine to call you that.)
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:32 pm »

Rule Of Cool. (Also RTD Physics)
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:16 pm »

Also, thanks, Remu. (if it's fine to call you that.)
Yeah, it's fine. It's kind of hard for some people to spell, honestly.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2013, 11:21:00 pm »

Doesn't work with Piecewise. Although he usually asks you if you reeeaaaly want to do it. And the death descriptions are pretty funny.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2013, 11:27:32 pm »

Any change for a switch from squares to measurements? Or hexes?

Also, I think it would be better if we did not know what the other team was doing, only what their ship was doing. You know, keep the tactics secret, create a suspense of what is really happening on their ship. Maybe have each side their own secret topic, and only post the things known to everyone here? And then when the battle is done we could reveal these secret topics.

Maybe to hexes, if I can figure out a way to do that well. I realize that hard 45 degree turns may be a bit weird, and that some naval wargames- wargames in general- use measurements and protractors and other such things, but to be completely honest, I would prefer to abstract some things. Tracking 10 directions of movement and rotation through a 3d space and the interactions of different weapons and systems plus ship damage and simplified momentum is a pretty good in my mind. What I lack in perfect simulation I hope to make up with other aspects.

Leaping to one thats adjacent is already kind of Rule of Cool, leaping any farther isn't gonna happen. Least not till we get the steam jet packs or Spring-heeled Jack boots in... But yeah, if you had two guys on two decks they could totally leap across to the opposite deck, slashing at each other mid-flight and then turn and shoot at each other the moment after they land. Thats a thing that can happen.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »

Fashion hang glider.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »

Fashion hang glider.
If within turning range, dakka. If not, pistolsnipe him.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »

What is the range on our pistols, since I just assumed it would be like 10m-30m, but apparently people left and right are trying to use them as sniper rifles?

Leaping to one thats adjacent is already kind of Rule of Cool, leaping any farther isn't gonna happen. Least not till we get the steam jet packs or Spring-heeled Jack boots in... But yeah, if you had two guys on two decks they could totally leap across to the opposite deck, slashing at each other mid-flight and then turn and shoot at each other the moment after they land. Thats a thing that can happen.
That reminds me of something... of something... of something... Oh yes! Minecarts!

Remember when Toady had a devlog in which a dwarf jumped out of the minecart onto the planks to fight with the goblin? That was pretty fun.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:36:13 pm by Thearpox »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2013, 11:35:48 pm »

I'm the most min-maxed for guns, so I'm obligated to try.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55