Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miniature Casting  (Read 4133 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Miniature Casting
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »

Hi Guys.

I'm going to enter into the world of miniature casting. My end goal is to field a little army of Space Marines that I can put on my shelf and show how geeky I truly am, without having to dish out $350 to do it. Here is what I am going in equipped with:

1) A .pdf about casting miniatures that I found in a link on 1d4chan. It's pretty good. Blows away what I could find on Google. Lucky find.

2) My girlfriend's dad casts miniatures all the time. He's a big wargaming buff. I think he might be too advanced for me to handle, though, since he apparently casts pewter models.

Does anybody here have any knowledge on this sort of thing? Maybe you've done it before?

Otherwise, you can just look in here to find pictures of what I make. I'll post all my failures to make it truly entertaining.

I'm going to start with casting a 6-sided die. They seem like they're shaped in the easiest possible way, and I've got so many of them as to make them completely expendable. I'll let you know how it goes once I get started.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:48:35 pm »

I have a little bit of experience... nothing major.

These days, the tin based solder you can buy for doing plumbing is lead free, has similar melt to lead based solder (can be melted in a pot, for instance), and has good flow. (Its intended to flow into very tiny spaces.) It is kinda pricy though, but still cheaper in bulk than actual whitemetal alloy for miniatures. It has brilliant white luster.

Just be aware that it *is* 99% tin, and that the vapor released from melting is toxic. Use a vent hood, or do this outside.

It needs a hotter temperature than normal whitemetal, which is some 60% tin, and 40% bismuth, IIRC. 

A good metal pot with an actual thermostat should be able to get hot enough.

Which then brings us to mold material:  to cast with solder or whitemetal, you will need a high temperature silicone rubber mold.  There are many commercially available mold building compounds available for purchase, but here is what I personally would suggest, since you will probably be making 3 or 4 part molds. (Space marines, et al.)

Pay the extra for 2 part mold mix, preferably the "putty" kind. 2 part mixes, unlike RTV preparations, don't need to breathe to cure. This let's you make very thick walls in a single session, and makes for sturdier casting molds. Try to get high temp silicone if you can: it's usally sold for making novelty candy molds, on the cheap end. Try there first.

If you find that your mold material can't handle hot solder or hot whitemetal, then you can gently abrade the inside of the thick mold wall with sand paper, and apply a thin (THIN!) Layer of automotive RTV silicone gasket maker, then re-mold your plug against that, and let it cure. Red high temp gasket maker *WILL* hold up to hot 99% tin solder. I know. I've done it. It has issues in that, since it is rtv, will take FOREVER to cure if applied thickly, if at all, --and, because of how goopy and "boogery" it is, it is difficult to make molds that don't have voids. So, only get it as a last resort, and if you find you need the heat resistance it offers, only use a very thin rind of it inside a sturdier, already made mold wall.

(Rtv silicones don't "dry". They "react" with water vapor in the air, and release acetic acid, which is why it smells like vinegar. Thick applications create "rinds" that are hydrophobic, preventing more water vapor from easily getting to the center of the mass, and retarding or stopping the curing process. Rtv silicones should never be applied thickly.  For thick walls, always use 2 part silicone mixes, which cure similarly to epoxy resins. They are more expensive, but worth it.)

For making the actual mold walls, get yourself some legos. These will become part of your casting kit. 

For a 3 part mold, Assemble the legos into a rectangle, so that all the insides of the rectangle are smooth.  Then, apply a strip of duct tape to one side of the rectangle.  Make sure the rectangle is deep enough to deal with all of the mold compound.

Place the rectangle of legos with the duct tape covering up one full side of said rectangle onto a flat working surface, so that the smooth side of the duct tape is facing down on the table, the sticky side is up, and so that the rectangle now looks like a short, fat chimney.

Mix some of the 2 part mold builder. Again, try to get the silly putty like kneadable kind if you can.

Press or pour the compound into the chimney, and either jostle it gently or squish it down really good. (Depending on what you bought.)  Now, spray the item with silicone mold release, and dry it with a hair dryer.  If you are using the pourable mold builder, this gives the wall a little time to firm up before we put the item into it. If using the putty kind, work fast.

Once the plug has been sprayed with release and dried, press it into the mold maker, being sure not to allow any part of the item to be submerged in the compound. Eg, if the space marine has a base, and spread legs, make sure that you put him facing down into the mold maker, and that it does not cover his legs. We need to be able to get him back out of the mold later!

Wait for the mold compound to firm up more, or, if using putty type maker, work immediately-- then wet your finger, and smooth out the top of the mold making compound. Take 2 large lego bricks, and put them "knobby side" down into the mold maker, and press the knobs all the way down. This will make impressions in that part of the mold, so that it will be easier to put all the parts together again for casting, and have them all lined up.  Put one brick on each part you intend to make another part to the mold on.

Cover with cling wrap, and do something else for at least 4 hours. Better still is the next day.

When that course of the mold is cured, remove the clingwrap and the 2 notch making lego bricks gently. Lightly spray the mold with mold release, then let dry.

Now, decide which part you want to mold next. Over that part, put another strip of duct tape down. This time, stand the mold up so that the part you poured/pressed the last time is now vertical, and the new strip of duct tape forms a wall, covering the bottom portion of the remaining window.  Mix more medium, and pour or press into the mold. Like last time, wait a little bit, then smooth the surface, and press a lego brick into the flashing area knobby side down.

Cover with clingwrap, wait at least 4 hours.

remove cling wrap and the lego brick. Spray again with mold release, and let dry.

Reposition the mold so that the first part is facing down again, and the lego rectangle looks like a chimney again.  Half the chimney should be plugged with rubber mold, and covered with duct tape.  Into the remaining section, pour or press mixed compound. Cover with cling wrap, let stand at least 4 hours.

After all the parts are cured, peel the duct tape off, and carefully disassemble the lego brick chimney. You should have a rectangular "block" of mold sections, perfectly stuck together, with the plug burried deep inside.

Carefully peel the sections of the mold apart. The mold release you sprayed at each stage of molding will allow the sections to peel away from each other, and off the plug. Remove the plug, and put it away.

Cut sprue holes (fill and vent) into the mold sections, so that the hot metal can flow into the mold when you cast.  You will need an agitator of some kind if you want really fine details in the casting, otherwise the metal will not flow well. Professional casters use a "spincaster", which basically centrifuges the metal into the mold.  Poor people like us can make do with an orbital vibrating sander that has been stripped of it's sand paper, and covered with double stick tape, put in a retainer frame.

When you want to cast, clamp the rubber sections of mold together with something like plumber's strapping, or with some other good quality clamp that can effective hold all 3 sections together, then stick it to the double stick tape with the fill sprue holes facing up.  Turn on the sander to agitate the mold, then slowly and gently fill the mold with the metal.

Wait a good 5 minutes after pouring to turn off the sander, unclamp, and unmold.

With any luck, it should have molded properly, and be a good cast.  If not, plunk it back into the melting pot and try again.  "Flashing", where metal seeps between the mold sections, is normal. Cut that off with a good hobby knife.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:35:30 pm »

About to pull a die out of a latex glove mould. Not optimistic about its casting power. We'll soon see.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »

Latex?

Are you casting with resin, or with metal?

Latex will work with resin, but it is simply inferior in every way to silicone from mold making. Latex will turn black and crispy on exposure to hot liquid metal. (So will some silicones. You need special high temperature silicones for working with metal.)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:24:27 pm »

I'm casting with resin.

I'll be sure to keep your informative post in mind if I graduate to the hard stuff, though!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »

Here's a fuzzy picture of what I produced:

Spoiler: Overlarge Image (click to show/hide)

It's pretty shitty, but I am excessively excited about it. I was expecting to fail while painting latex to my master.

Also on the agenda: Learning to take pictures.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:53:08 pm by Grakelin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:17 pm »

That's pretty simple, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

I recently cast a wolf's head pendant out of 99% tin solder using RTV silicone gasket maker as the mould. (It took TWO WEEKS for the mold to cure! I will not be using it to build the bulk of the mold in the future, let me assure you!) It came out quite nicely considering. I don't have pictures, because I have a bad habit of never keeping anything I make, and always give it away. Said pendant is now the property of a friend of mine.

This thread has gotten me interested in a new batch of metal casting experimentation however, and I spent the weekend cooking up an inexpensive carving medium for my next project. It's made out of recycled cat litter tubs. (For real!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made it by cutting the tub's walls into squares, then blasting them gently with an industrial heat gun to soften/melt the surface of the plastic squares, then pressing the molten sides together. Do that enough times, and a layered billet of plastic comes out.  The colorful lines inside are where the decal ink printed on the tub soaked into the hot plastic during the fusing process.

It's hard enough to drill and sand, soft enough to cut with an x-acto knife, and flexible enough not to shatter if dropped, or forced during unmolding.  I can't wait to try it out.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:41 am »

Aw man, I've been relatively interested in this for a while. There's a few free space opera game rulesets that I'm interested in trying out, but miniatures are always a fortune and totally not worth it. I'm not too interested in the process itself, just the final product, so if there was a relatively easy and quick way to do this it'd be great.....

What's the process for resin casting?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:53 am »

Very similar to that for metal casting, but you can get away with cheaper mold material.

Resin still requires agitation for fine detail/thin parts of the final product, because it has a tendency to have air bubbles in it from when you mix up the resin batch.  You have to "chase" the mold with the vibrator to get the bubbles to work their way up into the sprue hole, or they will clog up these areas and make a poor casting. (For very small objects, if you don't mind the yellow discoloration and price, get the liquid 2-part epoxy used for glueing stuff together. You can do simple experiments with it. I once cast a replica of my right thumb that way, just to see how well it would work. Got all the fingerprint ridges and everything.)

The benefit of a rubbery mold (silicone, or latex) is that you can deform the mold while unmolding the cast. You can't do that with a rigid mold. Even then, you can only get away with so much, and may need to make multi-part molds.  The process I spelled out is for making 3 part molds, and can be used for other materials besides metal. You could use it to cast with chocolate, for instance.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:07:55 am »

out of intrust has anyone else ever used cutlbone for molds when doing work with metal?
i imagine it would be bad for models but it is what i used when i made a pewter pendant and was just interested.