Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Die Horribly in Imperialism 2!  (Read 7350 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Die Horribly in Imperialism 2!
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:38:46 pm »

You know bay12, today's a good time to fuck shit up and get smitten by a thousand angry gods. I don't exactly have a thousand angry gods with me. I have something better~

admittedly more imperial than the previous installment

Haww yee. I haven't played the series before, I'll actively shun the tutorials and politely yet firmly ask you to leave if you offer any strategy. The reason why I play this game is because I demand a challenge. And a challenge I hope to get! I'll actually reserve the next post for a list of challenges you guys issue - any sort or kind the game permits - and check them off as I go. Bold them to make sure they're noticed, though. On top of this, I'm going to play on the highest possible difficulty and am going to utilize tactical battles (the options said it's a thing when I were looking for the fullscreen toggle. No such thing here!).

While I figure out how to take screenshots, here's some questions for you:

*Should we play a random map or an Old World map?
*Should we play Holland, France, Spain, Portugal, England or Sweden?

Countries do absolutely nothing than give us a starting location. I do not recommend mixing England and the Old World map though, as that'd ruin the point. If you tell me so though, it'll be a thing. It seems we can also use a custom nation name, so if we want that, say so now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Die Horribly in Imperialism 2!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:28 pm »

Reserving~

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:48:09 pm »

Random map as Sweden. Find some rainforests and chop them down to produce furniture! You can do that in this game, right?

Börk börk börk.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »

Random map as Sweden. Find some rainforests and chop them down to produce furniture! You can do that in this game, right?

Börk börk börk.

You know the best thing about this?

i have no idea (obligatory)

So let's begin, shall we?

This is what the game gave us. No rainforests. This is a bad day for our furniture industry.

Alright, so we have... a capital on the border, that's nice; five thousand currency units, some sorta navy, an explorer, a builder and an engineer.

Northern portion of our glorious lands. We've got Germany to the north, England across the sea to the south of us, and someone even more irrelevant Switzerland to the west. Not pictured: the eastern shoreline, notable only for its singular mountain.

Here's our navy. Appears to be useless. I told it to fortify the home port. Nothing can go wrong.

Initial deployments: we've got our builder in the forest (no rainforests, so this must do), an explorer in the hills and the engineer just outside our capital building a road? I think that's a road, alright.

fakeedit: and then the game crashed alright that's fine

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »

Now: Ally with Germany, our weak brothers.
Later: Restore Germany to glory!

You can do stuff to help them, right?  Figure it out and do so.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:04:32 am »

Now: Ally with Germany, our weak brothers.
Later: Restore Germany to glory!

You can do stuff to help them, right?  Figure it out and do so.

You can not.  Germany is a minor power.  This being set in a colonial, pre unification era, Germany refers to the western part of Germany, not including the great power of Prussia.  The strongest of the pre-unification states included would be Bavaria which was more of a secondary power and certainly wasn't a colonial one, being landlocked.  Germany can be befriended for economic advantage and eventually assimilated into the empire but it can't be allied.  You can eventually sign a treaty to protect Germany (a great idea since it makes them join you if attacked) but that requires first befriending them through trade and costs more money then Sweden currently has.  However you could create embassy with Germany, making it so your relations improve every time you trade with them.  I would recommend doing that with both Germany and Switzerland assuming they have anything to sell (resources around their capital are what they can export.  If necessary, give them trade subsidies to make sure you get their commerce.

In case anyone else tries to run this game on a modern system, a word to the wise.  You need to turn off the sound in the preferences menu before you start a new game as well as play in comparability mode.  The sound files aren't accessed correctly in more recent versions of windows so the game will throw an error message that you can't close if you don't turn off the sound.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:42:25 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:09 am »

You know what? I was going to give some advice even though you asked us not to. Then I noticed you're playing on 'nigh impossible' and never played before. So, it doesn't matter what I say. You're going down! :)

Having said that, send a ship exploring the uncharted waters. Not for strategic or tactical reasons. But just so we get to see some of what's going on in the new world before you get wiped out. In fact...

Challenge: circumnavigate the earth

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:18 am »

OMGIMPERIALISMTWO

PTW so hard. So very hard. I miss this game :D

Modify: I strongly suggest we get horsies. The world shall tremble at our great horsie cavalry!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:12:36 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:05:50 am »

Actually, you do have hardwood forests, those will help with the furniture industry better than a rainforest would (Though I doubt there would be much of a difference between the two.) Check the neighboring minors to see if they are favoured trading partners of yours. If they are, gather the army and start stomping them into the dirt (More land means more resources, and that's always good.)

Start expanding the industry and improving the workforce, the quicker we get an edge in labour and industrial capacity means we'll assert economic dominance earlier (Which means MORE MONEY).
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:10:25 am »

There aren't rainforests in this game, just hardwood and scrub forest.  The only difference is that scrub only lets you build the first level lumber camp.  For now concentrate on getting timber and food and import iron.  Have your engineer build a road up to the forest, a tile needs to be adjacent to a road for you to get it's resources.  Recruit as many peasants as you need to turn your timber and raw iron into processed lumber and processed iron (who's name I forget).  You need both of those to make roads and lumber camps.  Export your extra processed lumber to pay for iron.  Send your ship to find natives and recruit a second explorer to scout their territory for resources.  Then you either invade or befriend and buy the land.

Oh you start with a unit of militia.  Disband that, it's useless and eats your food.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:37:40 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:40:43 am »

PTW, love this game, but it is really hard!

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

Actually, you do have hardwood forests, those will help with the furniture industry better than a rainforest would (Though I doubt there would be much of a difference between the two.) Check the neighboring minors to see if they are favoured trading partners of yours. If they are, gather the army and start stomping them into the dirt (More land means more resources, and that's always good.)

Start expanding the industry and improving the workforce, the quicker we get an edge in labour and industrial capacity means we'll assert economic dominance earlier (Which means MORE MONEY).
Taricus, you appear to be mistaking this game for the first one. There is no furniture industry, no industrial capacity to expand and improving the workforce requires something more, eg research, unless you mean to just recruit more peasants.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:23 pm »

-advice-

Somebody didn't read the opening post.   :P