Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Spy In Skyrim - Suggestion Based Lets Play  (Read 7634 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
A Spy In Skyrim - Suggestion Based Lets Play
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:59 pm »

Hello! Recently I finished updating and installing the latest versions of the various mods I use in Skyrim. I selected these mods for improved graphics and enhanced realism/gameplay. To this end I have 295 mods installed which change the gameplay and graphics quite a lot but do not change the overall feel of the game much.  I have invested more than 300 hours in Skyrim since its release so I went looking for something new to do. Some suggestions in the Skyrim thread (Thanks Vendayn!) on this forum led me to what I am doing now. To that end, welcome to A Spy In Skyrim in which I will play [Insert Name] the Altmer spy! I will be making a character and roleplaying as a spy for the high elves within Skyrim. You can decide the race, sex and background of the character from those I list  below.

So how will this work?

First, you fellow Bay12 forumgoers will decide what race, sex and background the character will be. You will also choose whether or not I have any talent for magic, and what kind. You can choose up to two different schools of magic, and those are the only two I will use.  If you choose none, I will use no magic at all.

Then, I will post a first update. This update will be my first report to you, my Altmer masters.  Yes, that's right. You are in charge. Each time I post that I am ready for new instructions, you will collaborate to write me a message which I will 'find' in a dead drop location. These messages are my instructions from you, the Altmer intelligence services.

You can order me to perform any action, gather any goods, explore any location. Need me to recover Mehrun's razor and leave it in a specific location for one of your other agents? Cool. I can do that.  But keep in mind that I am an undercover operative. As such, orders for outright overt action against the Altmer's enemies could blow my cover and force me to abandon my previous life and cover story. I will still carry out the mission, but I may have to start over within Skyrim afterwards, finding a new cover story and living arrangements. If at any point you tire of the current agent's services you can retire me to deep cover and activate a new agent with a new goal. The world will not change but I will change my race/sex if necessary and reset my skills as well as leave behind all of my accumulated equipment to simulate a new agent activating elsewhere.

So the first question is what race, sex, and background will I be starting with?

Races: The question of race isn't as clear cut as it may seem, because using an Altmer as a spy for the Thalmor is a bit obvious. That said, it may work out well and its really up to you. Since I am using the mod Skyrim Redone which makes some significant changes to the racial their bonuses, I've copied the relevant section from its documentation.
Spoiler: SkyRe Races (click to show/hide)
Background: The Live Another Life mod allows for multiple different starting scenarios. You can pick any of them for the spy. The 'Caught Crossing the Border Illegally' start is the standard Skyrim introduction. I've copied the different backgrounds and their descriptions below. If you decide to make me a vampire, that's fine but I do have a mod which changes up the way vampires work to make them more interesting. I really dislike the bland vanilla mechanics. There is even an 'Altmer Agent of the Thalmor' start, if you want to go with that for theme but it does officially make me a member of the thalmor faction as far as the game engine is concerned, which can cause funny issues. 'Surprise Me' is always an option too. Whatever comes of that I'll make the best of, but it may not be what you want.
Spoiler: Backgrounds (click to show/hide)
Sex in Skyrim is purely aesthetic and I have no preference either way.
If you wish me to be able to use magic, choose up to two magic schools that I am skilled in and they will be used when appropriate.

Once I have answers to race, sex and background I will generate the character and post a starting update while you guys work out initial instructions. Skyrim's the limit, so whatever you want me to do I'll do.

Here are a few things I'm restricting myself to for purposes of realism or challenge.
Spoiler: Ground rules for me (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ground rules for you (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment Restrictions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Encumbrance (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A Spy In Skyrim - Suggestion Based Lets Play
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:29:25 pm »

I know for a fact that 5 timescale breaks things in the game and that 6 doesn't, so go with 6.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »

I know for a fact that 5 timescale breaks things in the game and that 6 doesn't, so go with 6.
Good to know! I still need to verify whether timescale changes fuck up the eating/drinking/sleeping mod anyway. I may end up leaving it at default.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

Race: Dunmer.
Sex: F.
Start: Immigration (Dawnstar).

Schools: Illusion, Destruction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:48:08 pm »

I'll start this up tomorrow afternoon so if yours is the only suggestion at that point Putnam or if it has the most votes we'll go with that.

Oh, I forgot to ask but a name would also be good.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »

Arns Hlervu? I'm not good with coming up with names  :P

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »

Race: Dunmer
Start: Necromancer
Schools: Conjuration and Destruction
Sex: M
I figure that if you are a Dunmer that can summon your ancestors, you can probably summon other undead too.
And due to a lack of creativity, I have no idea what the name should be.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »

I figure that if you are a Dunmer that can summon your ancestors, you can probably summon other undead too.

You'd be horribly wrong, then. Dunmer have an ancestor worship thing going on--you're asking a favor of them, not forcing them into servitude. I'm pretty sure that's a horrible crime as far as Dunmer culture goes.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »

I don't know much about Skyrim... But I shall participate somewhat regardless from what limited knowledge I do know.

Race: Dunmer
Start: Shipwrecked!
Schools: Conjuration and Illusion
Sex: F
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:45:55 pm »

You'd be horribly wrong, then. Dunmer have an ancestor worship thing going on--you're asking a favor of them, not forcing them into servitude. I'm pretty sure that's a horrible crime as far as Dunmer culture goes.
Well shit. I knew there was something like that, but never got far enough into the lore to realize it. Either way I'll stick with my vote. I guess we'll just be THAT Dunmer.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »

Hehe, that's fine too. Individuals can do whatever they want, I think, though I don't know what the laws on necromancy are in Skyrim (it's legal in Cyrodiil and illegal as hell in Morrowind).

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »

I just started a lets play suggestion game on Skyrim on Bay 12 with mods I find it kind of irritating [justifiably or not] that you started another one without even letting me know about it first.

Don't get me wrong it's a free world and all and I know that I don't own Elderscrolls Lets Plays but I at least asked the other guy whose thread was there first on Morrowind if he didn't mind if I started one up and that was for a whole different game.

I feel like it would have been the corteous thing to do to at least let me know before pulling the trigger on posting.

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me and that's OK but that's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:02:05 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »

I just started a lets play suggestion game on Skyrim on Bay 12 with mods I find it kind of irritating [justifiably or not] that you started another one without even letting me know about it first.

Don't get me wrong it's a free world and all and I know that I don't own Elderscrolls Lets Plays but I at least asked the other guy whose thread was there first on Morrowind if he didn't mind if I started one up and that was for a whole different game.

I feel like it would have been the corteous thing to do to at least let me know before pulling the trigger on posting.

I'm sure people are going to disagree with me and that's OK but that's just how I feel.
Er.. if I'd known I certainly would have. Sorry? This is something I've been working towards for a week or more. Didn't think to look for others. :(

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:09:35 pm »

Er.. if I'd known I certainly would have. Sorry? This is something I've been working towards for a week or more. Didn't think to look for others. :(

It's OK... I think I was just being surprised and grumpy. The threads seem to be suitably different anyway and I suppose exposing more people to Skyrim can only be a good thing. Good luck with the thread.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 05:50:34 am »

It's OK... I think I was just being surprised and grumpy. The threads seem to be suitably different anyway and I suppose exposing more people to Skyrim can only be a good thing. Good luck with the thread.
no worries, I'll be sure to follow yours as well.
Pages: [1] 2