Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Franklin's Boot - A lightweight D6 system  (Read 968 times)

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
Franklin's Boot - A lightweight D6 system
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »

Hey guys, long time no see!
In the past 2 days I've been working on a D6 rpg system that is designed to have you up and running as fast as possible. The idea behind it is to completely negate all of D&D ( I kid :D )

I can't copy and paste it since it's all in tables but I'm actually looking for contributors for ideas. I have the basic system done and basically I just need content. Weapons, armour, spells, achievements (Yes this game has achievements, don't hate pls.) etc...

I'd like some outside perspective to say what sucks and what doesn't suck, there are a few things missing at the moment, like currency and a few mechanics to do with your stats, but overall, I'd say it's getting there  :P

If you'd like to read it, it can be viewed hither

http://www.joereynoldsaudio.com/lightweight-d6-rpg-system

At the moment it's still being written and is quite raw so don't expect to read a complete system.

Thanks!
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Inveigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Franklin's Boot - A lightweight D6 system
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:37:32 pm »

I don't really think the achievement part is necessary, since most DMs would decide if they wanted to reward players for doing certain things. Plus, what you already have is kind of specific. So you could just have a section with examples and have the DM decide whether or not the player did something worthy of an achievement.

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:58 am »

True, I can make it optional and then there's no pressure either way but I think it's a fun incentive for the players and may help out DM's struggling for ideas.

Thanks for the advice though :D
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:13 am »

Looks okay. I guess I'd say that you could improve the spell list or balance it out or something, but it looks alright otherwise.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

I might suggest changing Defence to Agility to open up more possible specializations for characters. This also makes more sense in the narrative, since you're actually dodging rather than just tanking the hit. Depending on what it's supposed to be, armor can provide an additional bonus to your defence roll, straight damage reduction, a bonus to HP, or some combination of these.

Example equipment under this system:
Buckler - +1 to defence roll
Steel Armor - +2 to defence roll, -6 to damage taken
Living Armor - +3 to defence roll, +12 HP

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

Depending on what it's supposed to be, armor can provide an additional bonus to your defence roll, straight damage reduction, a bonus to HP, or some combination of these.

Example equipment under this system:
Buckler - +1 to defence roll
Steel Armor - +2 to defence roll, -6 to damage taken
Living Armor - +3 to defence roll, +12 HP

That could be a good idea. At the moment armour just absorbs the damage that you are dealt.

Looks okay. I guess I'd say that you could improve the spell list or balance it out or something, but it looks alright otherwise.

Yep, I wanted to get the bare mechanics done before I go crazy with adding content all over the place. It looks like that time will be nearing though and I'll soon be adding more weapons/armour/monsters/spells and achievements :D

Thanks for the comments so far guys, it's helpful to know what can and can't be improved.
www.joereynoldsaudio.com