Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to store hair thread?  (Read 13269 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: How to store hair thread?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 07:40:57 am »

Care here AutomataKittay,

Do you run DFHack with DF?  Or running Vanilla

If Vanilla, there is a cloth stockpile bug which basically means the stockpile ignores settings and puts all cloth/thread in.  DFHack has a fix for this bug.

Vanilla, the bug seem to be mostly on metal cloth or thread for me.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122782.0 thread on it for others wondering about it

Didn't get hair or pigtail threads sorted into stockpile with silk and yarn enabled, and only with plant threads enabled, not sure what that says. I know hair threads don't get moved to refuse pile, it always ends up in any plant thread stockpiles I runs. Metal thread stockpiles too, but I don't bother enabling it anyway.

EDIT: I'd like to see others' result too, it might have to do with how my stockpiles are set up and what resource I have around. Stockpile issues tend to be pretty strange for me. The thread I linked did mentioned that hair threads is treated like yarn.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:07:31 am by AutomataKittay »

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 04:26:16 am »

Hair goes into cloth stockpiles only after it's been Spun at a farmer's workshop, after which point it becomes yarn.  Prior to that, you need to set up a stockpile near your farmer's workshop for refuse->hair, then add the job to the shop when you see some items dropped off.  This is mainly if you obtain hair from butchering animals.  If you are shearing, then you shouldn't bother with a hair refuse pit.

But this is tedious, and annoying.  Better off just trading for the wool from the caravans.  They usually bring 5 metric tons of it in my games, and sell it for peanuts.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »

From what I tested hair thread storage seems to work similar to stone cabochons in gem stockpiles. As soon as you have a cloth stockpile somewhere, it will be stored there. That is always the case, even if every other thread/cloth is disabled for the stockpile.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:57 pm »

So... (necromancers target hair too, you know...) are people getting their hair thread stored, and if so, how?

My dwarves stubbornly refuse to store it. My main thread stockpile has all threads enabled, takes from anywhere and has space. I also have a hospital workshop that's similar (but was set to take from anywhere + the main stockpile, and is currently full). I ended up selling some spare hair threads to the human caravans because they were just lying around.

I'm using the expanded LNP which probably has the bugfix to stop DF ignoring cloth stockpile settings, so just using that bug to do it isn't an option.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »

If you have a hospital and containers in there, they should store it inside them. Otherwise just quantum dump the hair thread near it, which is what I ended up doing.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:55 pm »

If you have a hospital and containers in there, they should store it inside them. Otherwise just quantum dump the hair thread near it, which is what I ended up doing.

Yea, I did that earlier too. Guess I could actually try the official hospital system again though, since it's supposed to be fixed by a dfhack script in the expanded LNP. Which fact I forgot about until now.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »

Relatively sure that Hair thread is stored under "animal/yarn" as it essentially is the yarn from unshearable animals.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »

Relatively sure that Hair thread is stored under "animal/yarn" as it essentially is the yarn from unshearable animals.
Isn't animal hair and animal hair thread separate from animal wool and yarn? Yarn can be used for clothing but hair thread can not. I think.

Sorry to derail but I once tried making dorf beards shearable but for some reason I never got them to spin or use the beard hair.
I suppose that I could take another shot at it and try to make dorfs shearable and hopefully turn the beard hair into dorf hair yarn instead of hair thread so it could be used to make socks.

..It was funny watching a shearer grab a dwarf and drag it to the farmer workshop for shearing (and cancel the job because: handling dangerous animal)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:02:24 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »

Sorry to derail but I once tried making dorf beards shearable but for some reason I never got them to spin or use the beard hair.
Ethics issue, maybe?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

Hair thread...
Um, Auschwitz, anyone? (I DON"T WANT TO START A DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS HORROR, HELL NO.)
Shearable sentient creatures?
SOUNDS GOOD!
Just imagine: Giant, underground prison for humies, elfs and gobbos sitting in their cages for years... Just to being repeatedly sheared for socks...
Nice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:50:47 am by Volfgarix »
Pages: 1 [2]