Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lost half my fort capturing a dragon (also spontaneous combustion)  (Read 3331 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I have absolutely no regrets. Most of the deaths were from every single person going miserable at the same time and apparently roughly 1/5 of my dwarves have crossbows so the meeting room is literally full of about a hundred bolts either on the ground or flying through the air. It's actually a sight to see.

Fake edit: Oh shit someone just went crazy in the hospital and murdered every single dwarf in it because they couldn't fight back (instant headshots) This is insane I'm so fucked there goes my smiths and everything due to a FISH dissector. On the plus side I've still got the dragon until someone breaks the cage open and it finishes off the fort... This is going south fast but as long as a glass maker and the dragon live I'm fine with it I guess.

Anyway, what's gone wrong for you in the pursuit of dwarven science lately?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:55:54 am by Spacespinner »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost half my fort capturing a dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:37:23 am »

Make that 100/130 dwarves dead. Still worth every death.

Minor possible bug: I have a vampire who is tired. All my experience has been that they are unable to tire and the wiki confirms this. He's been like this for along time even when not active so I'm assuming the inability to sleep prevents it being fixed.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:08:38 am »

An endless cycle of: Cancels drink blood, too tired.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:44:15 am »

I've got a setup where there's a big combat room under the fort, a room where I drop down new armor/weapons, a danger room and a bedroom etc to keep him happy. It's sealed off and I just pit down captives for him to tear apart so he doesn't actually have the ability to drain blood. Tempted to give him a room mate and see if he actually does do that though... Shame I don't have any dwarves to spare.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:26:11 am »

This is insane I'm so fucked there goes my smiths and everything due to a FISH dissector.

This is all your fault. How many times do we have to tell people to kill all fish dissectors?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:04 am »

I'm actually terrified of them now. most of the berserk dwarves this time with large kill lists were fish dissectors. I thought they could be rehabilitated as masons but it only gave their scaly arms more strength!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:03 am »

Ha. Next time, choose some idiot with no relatives or friends. Or the vampire.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

And this is why dwarves shouldnt let dwarves make friends.

See Urist and Ubok chatting it up in the dining hall? Give them both wedgies, and send them back to work.
See little Ducim organizing a party? Announce the demolition of the statue garden it was to be hosted in.

Why are fish dissectors so dangerous, one might ask?

Simple: What happens when you run out of fish to clean? Well-- you stand around and--

And there you have it.  Lonely dwarves are HAPPY, WELL ADJUSTED dwarves! Dwarves who make friends have a festering mental illness just waiting to spring up and induce homocidal rage the likes of which legends will be told for generations! Do your part to prevent mental illness in dwarf kind: DWARVES DON'T LET DWARVES MAKE FRIENDS.

(This has been a public service announcement from Overseer Urist.)

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:15 am »

Well, just how long can you sit in a packed dining room full of baby vomit and large, possibly predatory animals, doing nothing and going nowhere, constantly crawling over and talking with an assortment of the most useless random bearded mooks in the fortress, only taking a break to sleep, before you go slightly off your rocker? Honestly.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:52 am »

To be fair, the dwarves that died to the dragon made the mistake of running into my cage trap field where the dragon then breathed fire on them and destroyed all of them so I had  a very angry dragon chasing around the people who went outside which caused about 10-20 deaths before I baited it into a newly dug out tunnel with cage traps. The tantrum seemed to have been caused by ever second dwarf holding a crossbow and shooting each other to cause the entire fort to go under. Not kidding, almost every entry in my combat log was about someone being shot in the leg or worse. As proof, here's a screenshot of my Meeting Room. Those are bolts around the outside of it, some piles are a dozen bolts or more (no single stacks at all).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:29 am »

See? What'd I tell you?

Friendship == "Festering mental illness"

Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

The safest, happiest fortress is one where everyone holds grudges against everyone else, and simply gets through the working day by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, and oogling statues.

For real.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:09 am »

War Dragons. That is all.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:13 am »

I'm also banning crossbows now.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »

Tantrums are why I prefer to keep my dwarfs in surface sealed dwellings that can only be entered via the caverns. Litter a hundred serrated disc traps and cage traps down there and flood it with hunters and you can maintain the steady retrieval of ores, gems and live targets. The odd thing will mangle a dwarf, like giant spiders, and cave ogres, and crundle swarms... Okay lots of stuff will still mangle dwarfs, but the fort will survive because the vast majority are kept contained by burrow restrictions that mean only woodcutters/miners/hunters and web collecting fools ever enter the caverns and get killed, since I keep these busy they rarely have much by way of friends so who cares.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

The crossbows weren't to blame. If they didn't have crossbows, they would still make a beeline to your nearest legendary smith and bash his skull into his brain using their x(cave spider silk mittens)x
Pages: [1] 2