Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarves vs Orcs: A Masterwork Twin Succession  (Read 8236 times)

Carsius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves vs Orcs: A Masterwork Twin Succession
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:09 am »

Eh, what the hell, sign me up for a turn with dorfs. What with all the masterwork !!FUN!! and all, it will likely be nearly impossible to make it more than a couple years.

EDIT: Questions, questions..

Are diseases enabled? Is the cult enabled? What limits are there on population, kids, etc? Can we recruit/use child soldiers/laborers via DT?

Diseases are disabled for the dwarves, as I played my turn when 4.d was still the latest version.

All secret fun is enabled, as per the norm.

Population/children caps are left at default.

I don't think it would be the best idea, as it seems that we were trying to keep the options as vanilla as possible.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:11 am »

I was wondering is it possible to run a succession where the player plays for when they get seiged then retire the fort then have the next player pick a civ from the Civilization menu the previous player posted then attempt to thrive on that site?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:50 am »

You could do that, but i can think of a few issues.  Migrants might run into remnants of the siege.  If you don't dfhack the location to a lair, items will scatter.  If you do dfhack a lair, it's kind of cheaty.  Also, you may start getting rather confusing and short turns due to wealth triggering massive migrant waves and sieges.

But, i could be very wrong.  Start a succession fort and try it out!

Durgress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 12:13:00 pm »

Eh, what the hell, sign me up for a turn with dorfs. What with all the masterwork !!FUN!! and all, it will likely be nearly impossible to make it more than a couple years.

EDIT: Questions, questions..

Are diseases enabled? Is the cult enabled? What limits are there on population, kids, etc? Can we recruit/use child soldiers/laborers via DT?
Diseases are off as they are a bit too much FUN right now. Everything is on default settings, so everything is on but harder___ and diseases. I would prefer if we avoid doing anything cheatery unless it's to work around a glitch.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 03:32:45 am »

Sorry - didn't notice it was my turn (holiday craziness).  I've DL'd the dorf save and will be starting now.

Aaand done.

This save ends on the 9th of Opal, which means its not quite a year's worth, but my dorf got ganked by a werebear before he could finish out his term as overseer, so it wouldn't be fair to finish out the year under someone else's watch. Mind Timeless' widow: She's already tantrum-murded one person and she just lost her husband, her newborn son and her husband's sheriff's apartments, so she may be a mite unhappy.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8229

When we first found the fortress, it had survived one year - 1x1 cells containing beds had been carved from the rock, and a multitude of animals had been grouped together in a space just past the trading depot, grimly waiting their turn in the butcher's workshop.  None were safe - the fortress had a steady meat supply.  While the outer wall was broken by a drawbridge, no levers seemed to connect to it, nor to the two bridges encapsulating the Trading Depot within. 

Timeless had been the head of "The Diamond Books", (the local militia), but only by dint of knowing a few fighting moves - most in the militia were green as prickleberries. (About as squishy too.)  What Timeless saw in the fortress were two things: 1) Nothing was smoothed - everything looked recently dug, with pick marks still on the wall and rubble swept into the corners. Not a real fortress - more like an outpost for vagabonds. More importantly, however, he noticed that the fortress was ripe for death from within or without - there were no deterrents in place to prevent catastrophe from claiming the entire population!  So the year of his overseership was guided by making the place a bit more preventable and setting up a security compound just inside the outer walls.  To assist with getting everything "just so", he moved himself, his wife and their infant son into the new Sheriff's Apartments he'd had cunningly dug and smoothed to resemble a water eroded limestone cave system.  Military captains needed to provide themselves a way to get away from the stresses of dealing with fumble-fingered lack-wits all day, after all.  Timeless and his wife had already lost their firstborn back in '18 - their second chance cooed happily at his mother's breast, though.  His tiny beard was silky, but strong - a good omen. Timeless was as proud as any father could be, and his wife enjoyed the lodgings better than the main room well below the trading depot.

She'd already been chastised once by her husband for breaking the head of a flirtatious chemist with stinking fingers unable to be kept to themselves.  Who'd expect a right cross to the jaw would serve as both warning and final punishment?  All she'd meant to do was knock a few of the loser's teeth loose to remind him that she was a married woman, but that dwarf's head had spattered like a rotten musk-mellon.  The apartment, however, soothed her impetuous temper, and gave her more time still to teach young Jr a thing or two about the properties of minerals.  "Start 'em young"  Her ma had always said - they'll need to know many things to be a proper dwarf by the time they've grown, and learn them good in not much time at all!

Things were going fine, too, until a were-bear turned up and slew some people.
"Now is the time, now was the hour! Now we prove our worth to the Fortress!", thought Timeless as he buckled his leather armor about him - we shall not perish from this werebear!

Push came to shove, shove came to scratch and to bite - three were wounded and another four killed that day, including Timeless' baby boy and Timeless himself.  One of his militia team stepped forward to take the title of Sheriff and unceremoniously dumped Timeless' widow back into general population.  Almost got a smack across the jaw from it too, but she'd trained with these fellows and they'd learned the reflexive dodge well enough that her wild swing hit nothing but air.  Gathering her meager possessions, she trudged back up the hallway to a disused soldier's room, mourning her lost hopes for happiness and feeling the terrible red tide that always simmered just below the surface begin to boil and steam.  Her baby girl, her baby boy, her husband and her ROOMS!  THEY WOULD PAY!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:30:32 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

My god, there is so much playing and so little writing going on. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 07:30:01 am »

Not for a couple of weeks, now.  Did everything just fade away?

Community forts run in cycles and with the holidays, maybe everyone got busy.  But the idea of a two-civ fortress map is a good one, hope somebody picks it up again
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]