Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Let's get eaten by dingoes and smothered by cats, in Dwarf Fortress: Cattenvir  (Read 11256 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

1st of Granite, Early Spring, Year 126:
We finally arrived at our destination this morning, and not a moment too soon, for we have run out of Koala meat! I warned everyone that we didn't bring enough... and despite Flying Stapler's reassurances, I cannot see us finding any wild Koalas here... Still, I will not allow this travesty to sully such an auspicious occasion, and despite any Koala sightings I must confess that this site looks quite promising.

However, before we can throw any lavish parties in our great hall, the hall itself must be mined out, and for that we will need a pickaxe. Therefore, the first order of the day will be to construct the facilities needed for Plump Helmet to work the ores we brought into useful tools. There are heavy clouds on the horizon, and I do not want us to be caught outside in the rain...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

1st of Granite, Early Spring, Year 126:
We finally arrived at our destination this morning, and not a moment too soon, for we have run out of Koala meat! I warned everyone that we didn't bring enough... and despite Flying Stapler's reassurances, I cannot see us finding any wild Koalas here... Still, I will not allow this travesty to sully such an auspicious occasion, and despite any Koala sightings I must confess that this site looks quite promising.

However, before we can throw any lavish parties in our great hall, the hall itself must be mined out, and for that we will need a pickaxe. Therefore, the first order of the day will be to construct the facilities needed for Plump Helmet to work the ores we brought into useful tools. There are heavy clouds on the horizon, and I do not want us to be caught outside in the rain...

I would love to see the designations. Gives me ideas for architecture.

Otherwise, very good episode. A base camp instead of going to designate the fort is something I haven't thought to try.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

Cheers for the feedback on designations, etc :)

I often have my starting 7 make a little camp. Something I don't think too much about, just a functional camp for them to start with. Then from that, i have them work on the main fort, which I can take time with and properly plan out because the Dwarves already have a place to sleep/eat :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

5th of Felsite, Late Spring, Year 126:
Although slower than expected, Plump Helmet was able to fashion fine tools from the ores we brought with us from the mountain homes, and as soon as Evelynn had a pick in her hand, she set out to fashion secure lodgings into the nearby hill. Following this, a kitchen and (more importantly) a still were constructed, and space hollowed out for a dining hall and an office.

While it is clear where we will begin construction of the main fortress, we will need this humble base camp to allow for the more grand designs I have in mind for Cattenvir. And so, over the following days we must focus on expanding the facilities here, at least to the point that we are able to ensure a steady supply of food and drink for the work ahead!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

26th of Malachite, Mid-Summer, Year 126:
The base-camp's living space seems reasonably well defined now. A dormitory and a dining hall, as well as the basics as far as food and drink production goes. It's far from comfortable, but none of us expected lavish bedrooms and majestic dining halls when we arrived, we are the pioneers here, and our expectations must be realistic.

Still, with a little more work I feel that we will have a solid foundation in place, and word has already spread to the mountain homes it seems, as migrants have been spotted heading this way from the nearby hills. At least equal to our number, this will bring a much needed burst of energy to our industry, and hopefully allow us to complete work on the base-camp by the time Autumn arrives!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

21st of Limestone, Early Autumn, Year 126:
Sadly, my hopes of having the base camp complete by Autumn fell a little short, however the migrants are settling in well and already many of them are finding work to do. Evelynn has been much more content for having Rock to share the burdens of mining, and we now have a steady supply of fish coming into the fort.

All that remains now is to till some fields, that our druids may begin planting the seeds left by our still, and we will have overcome the greatest challenges to a new fort. Food and drink. With that done, it is perhaps time that we consider producing some crafts with our excess stone, for winter is close and with it, the first traders due from the mountain homes!

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With all those people, Aavak, will 8 measly beds really do?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

Before the last migrant wave it seemed to be working alright, since people seemed to sleep at different times, but I think I might need to expand it a little, maybe add another 8. But I'll be working on personal quarters as one of the first parts of the main fortress. While I'll have certain industries living and working in specific burrows, I'll have need for a general quarters area for those who work without a burrow and new arrivals, until they get assigned.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I would like to request a dorf.  Lightningfalcon, job as either militia or as some form of smith or mason.  If neither of those are available I'll just take whatever.  Will watch the videos tonight when I finish up these online classes. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

I would like to request a dorf.  Lightningfalcon, job as either militia or as some form of smith or mason.  If neither of those are available I'll just take whatever.  Will watch the videos tonight when I finish up these online classes.

Righto, I've added Lightningfalcon to the list with a preference for those roles if available :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

25th of Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, Year 126:
While the fields were still being prepared for planting, work at last began on the fort proper. Naturally the entry hall must be grand indeed, with vaulted ceilings and decorated pillars if Cattenvir is to stand proud besides the forts of legend, but we must also consider defences. Greenskins are never far away...

However, there is still some time before we need fret over such concerns, though it may be wise to add a small barracks to the base camp so that our military dwarves can begin training early. And while those plans are laid, perhaps there will be time for me to review the social landscape, after all it wouldn't bode well for the leader of Cattenvir to be unloved by its people!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

24th of Timber, Late Autumn, Year 126:
At last, the first trade caravan arrived at Cattenvir, though a little earlier than expected, if truth be told. Without more time to produce sufficient crafts, we were limited in what we could afford. In cases like this, and certainly with Winter looming, food and drink must come before luxuries such as spider silk nightcaps or Koala meat candies. I hope my sacrifices are well noted by my detractors in the fort, especially Evelynn, who I hear has been spreading baseless rumours about the fullness of my beard... how has our relationship decayed so horribly?!

However, let me not dwell on such lamentable topics, and instead turn to happier news. I received reports from our huntsdwarves that they have spotted several wild beehives near by! Already I have commissioned artificial hives be made, that we might create an apiary of our own. Although the Druids (especially Flying Staplers) have complained at the thought of having to suffer bee stings while tending the hives, even they cannot deny that honey and royal jelly would be greatly appreciated additions in our kitchens!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

3rd of Obsidian, Late Winter, Year 126 -
Chief Medical Dwarf's personal memoirs:

The stocks of Rum ran out several weeks ago. It's cold, and with no other option, I've taken to sitting with the turkey-hens for warmth. Oh, no, wait, that wasn't the reason... ah yes, I'm sitting here because I HAVEN'T BEEN GIVEN AN OFFICE!

Never the less, occasionally one of the hens tries to nest on my head, and I don't find this to be entirely unpleasant. However, being in here has meant that some of my documents are a little worse for wear (the wine I spilled on them hasn't helped much either... thankfully though, no one can prove that was me) but despite that, I've found myself engrossed in the various psychiatric reports of both the founders and the migrants. However, the latter were mostly put together from things I overheard people talking about in the dining room... possibly while I was drunk, but I’m sure the details are accurate!

There are 19 of us here in Cattenvīr as of the last migrant wave.

The founding pioneers of this expedition are:
Aavak,
Flying Staplers,
Shelab,
Plump Helmet Punk,
Metasepia,
Evelynn,
and of course, myself, Revocane.

And soon after work was begun on the base-camp, and ever since, a steady stream of migrants have been arriving with the changes in season. Including:
Rock,
Ein Sido,
MillionFoul,
Samscale,
Vultha,
PhDwarf,
Spartan,
Vesty,
Para,
BloodAlchemy,
Texver,
and finally, Ednar.

As is often the case with migrants, several of these Dwarves are related or married, but interestingly I've managed to piece together some of their movements prior to their arrival here... and quite a few are former members of the same expeditions or forts. I've mentioned this to Aavak, who has agreed to quietly make inquiries into the fates of these forts. Last thing we want is a family of arsonists running around while we're trying to sleep (though that would help with the cold...)

In the meantime though, I hear that one of the Stonesmiths has been commissioned to create a set of official engravings of the Fort (or rather, the base-camp) and I think they're due to unveil them soon. I'm not really one for art, but it'll be a good excuse to get drunk I suppose...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Yay one year!

It seems I catch your videos before you post them here. Maybe my 'Check some of the people I'm subbed to once or twice a day' thing.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

I'm much the same, lol.

Though it does take me a couple of minutes to post the updates because of formatting and things like that, so it could be that too :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5