Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Let's get eaten by dingoes and smothered by cats, in Dwarf Fortress: Cattenvir  (Read 11349 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

1st of Hematite, Early Summer, Year 127:
As I suspected, the long ears were enamoured by our stone crafts, though I did catch a few of them looking with distaste at the wooden bins the crafts were hauled in as they were brought to the trade depot. However, predictably, they had very little of worth to trade, and I was starting to consider whether there was any use in maintaining reasonable relations when I spotted it... locked in a cage many times the size of the elves who brought it (how they managed to drag it here I didn't ask, I suspect the answer would have just confused me), there stood a rhinoceros! Naturally I threw all the bins of cloth fibre I had been considering back into their stall and traded the majority of  Cattenvīr's wealth in exchange for the mighty beast! Dapper Jester may have his work cut out taming it, but I can hardly imagine the advantage such a creature would give our military!

Now, while I retire to my office (before anyone asks me to help hauling the rhinoceros to the stockpile) I will busy myself with some of the suggested plans by our architects. It's time that we decide on the layout for the civilian living quarters, and making any mistakes in planning at this early stage may cost us seasons of extra work later on...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

What advantage does glass have over steel/candy/whatever? Sharper? MOre cutting power? Turns goblins into chunky salsa?

EDIT: Is my dwarf already been named or are you still waiting for that special mechanic?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:50:27 am by Iceblaster »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What advantage does glass have over steel/candy/whatever? Sharper? MOre cutting power? Turns goblins into chunky salsa?

EDIT: Is my dwarf already been named or are you still waiting for that special mechanic?
glass is an infinite resource, and in real life it is sharper than steel.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

glass is an infinite resource, and in real life it is sharper than steel.

Yeah, I've seen some videos online of people crafting arrow heads out of glass bottles. It was pretty impressive, and the arrow heads looked as sharp as flint.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

The "Infinite resource" part is really the deal with it.  If you have to import sand, it's probably no better than making copper or bronze locally, except on your coal reserves (Smelt bars + smelt bronze from bars? + Forge Trap Weapon versus Craft Trap Weapon from Green Glass.  Either way uses no coal with magma, but metal uses >1 without).

And, while I'm sure metal is as effective as if not more effective than glass, I kind of wouldn't want to waste 600 bars of weapon-grade metal on serrated discs (60 10xDisc traps are my standard goal for defense.  Takes years to build but starts defending from the installation of the first trap), unless I somehow have massive reserves of "lesser" metals like copper/bronze alongside massive reserves of iron for my military.

You could also make some trap weapons out of wood, but they'd be comically ineffective except as trade goods to non-elves (Spiked Wooden Balls are insanely valuable for how fast they are to produce, over 1500 each at masterwork quality)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

As a lot of people have been asking where they sit on the list of names, and wanting to check if they are even on the list or not, I thought I'd go ahead and post the current list here so I can direct people to the thread to check.

It's a bit of a big list, but I'll do my best to arrange the list so it's a bit easier to read:

Code: [Select]
** No Preference **

Name :: Notes
-----------------------------------------------
OneFJef
rZombie
Webster
Scrutebuck // Carpenter OR soldier OR any
Alexslayer // Tinkerer OR Warrior
TheDude
Arcan
TheKelset
Mesron
KapaKnight
ljoonal
Anonymous
12togo34
Aethirshero
PlanBPill
Dr Hylke
Tameezer
Skelly
MightyMastadon
Dojo
PagemanX
Sortoa
Sanans
Grimnir
Anomander // Ideally Marksdwarf
Ein
KrakenShark
Kowzorz
Kisk
Butz
Currymuncher
Loki
NightStalker
Switters
Noidannuoli
Blitzcreed
Babbit
Kimo
Iceblaster
Honbad
Bear
DavieDe
Kissell
Gnome
Jonathan
Strider
Marx
Swissarmy
Phiolax
Pemberton
Werty
Austbot // Weapon Crafter ideally
TrashyBagles
Xenir
Hak // Baby!!
Fireforce
Pennypen
Darko72
Ackandarus
F25U
Kalrog
Maleficas
Zemalf
Axel
Noidannuoli
NuenoB
Tuckerace
Xantolos
Rg Guthan
Gandalf // Trainer
Logey
Kaldor Draigo
DraigIwerydd
Turtlestorm
Yams // Military (leader) OR doctor.
TheKaltur // MALE
FrAvatar // Military OR armourer
AlphaArBar
Drew8798
Cruy
Sokmund // Military OR Siege
DeathInACan // NO RELATIONS/GODS
Darko
Elyk
Kine
Chris
Lightningfalcon // Militia OR Smith/Mason
AdmiralNesence
Heavy Bookcase
Atndy
Sean
Fereval
Lyon
Phiolax
Nidawa
Elsondwarf
Carl // Hammerer OR Civvie
SmackleFunky
Varen
Flashfox
Dalbaeth
Leverquin
Alantodne
Darko
Sorenhauter
Kissell
Sam The Great // Noble
Tyki Mikk // Poison Maker
Southerngentleman
NebulonB100
Skeven0
Howling Bark
Alex
IcrisHPE
Ttlooksgood
Joe Pemberton
TehNaro
Vattic
Cchamp
Zarosu

** Military **

Name (** Squad) :: Position (// Notes)

Assigned:

** Everlasting Stockades ( Melee )
Para :: Axedwarf
Sellardohr :: Axedwarf
Spartan :: Hammerdwarf
Eli :: Hammerdwarf
Texver :: Speardwarf
Lalasa :: Speardwarf
SgtBird09 :: Swordsdwarf
Tiny Tim :: Swordsdwarf
--- DEAD ---
N/A

Unassigned:
** Melee
Haika // Spear / exotic war animal
stupidstufwtmyfriend // Hammerdwarf
Fallonsky // Battle-Axe
Rredwallzy // Axedwarf
Ddrk3rn3l // Sword OR Ranged
Tokimi // Large Weapon
Pharozos // Suicide
Sarge // Axedwarf
Pjb // Swordsdwarf

** Ranged
Amman
Labtop
EwanKaye
Robby
DarkDraker
Green123438

** No Preference
General Vladimir
Penguin Master
Tyler
GeneralSama
Kilgore
Xeno
Freya
Deknegt
Nidhoggur
Alexander // Captain Black Ops
Zandanify // Black Ops
ZakTheSharkification
Zaweri
Rasmus
Craftmin // Lasher OR Marksdwarf

** Civilian **

Name :: Profession (// Notes)
** Assigned
Aavak :: Administrator
Million Foul :: Angler
Arnob :: Angler
Dapper Jester :: Beastmaster
PhDwarf :: Craftsmith
Camzore :: Craftsmith
Flying Staplers :: Druid
Ednar :: Druid
Vesty :: Druid
Fyrezen :: Druid
Shelab :: Foodsmith
Bloodalchemy :: Foodsmith
SirBlackward :: Foodsmith
Hamster :: Foodsmith
CognitiveDissonance :: Gemsmith
Samscale :: Huntsdwarf
Vultha :: Huntsdwarf
KingOfCroatia :: Labourer
TreeSniper12 :: Labourer
Lobstarooo :: Labourer
Revocane :: Medicus
Skiller2 :: Medicus
Plump Helmet :: Metalsmith
Mrdarkdraker :: Metalsmith
Evelynn :: Stone Slayer
Rock :: Stone Slayer
Dynu :: Stonesmith
Serefan :: Tinkerer
Measepia :: Tree Tamer
Ein Sido :: Tree Tamer
MrChaotic :: Woodsmith
--- DEAD ---
N/A

** Unassigned
SkeletalSoup // Engineer
Yeehim // Fletcher
Halceon // Bookkeeper OR Mechanic
Omichron // Clean dead bodies
Piffy // Bookish
Boxinator // Metalsmith
Johnhayes // Smith
CowardlyKnight // Engineer/Weaponsmith
Joe Simon // Trader
Jamuson // Mason/Crafter if possible
MrRexels // Doctor
JamesCox // Miner
NakedDwarf // Blacksmith OR Engineer
Dunder // Jewelwer
Kubamakar // Weaponsmith
Predatedkhan // Metal worker / smith
Milliams // Crafts Dwarf
Hardiss // Crafts/builder
ThunderDino // Male beastmaster

By all means, if I have made a mistake with the spelling of someone's name, do let me know and I'll get that updated :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

20th of Malachite, Mid-Summer, Year 127:
It took longer than I would have liked, but finally the architects, the miners, and myself are in agreement over the plans for the general living quarters. It will likely take much of the year to finish the work we have laid down, and this will only be the beginning of this particular level of the fort. Still, it feels good to know that Cattenvīr is truly beginning to take shape, and while we haven't finished work on the specifics, I eagerly await the completion of the grand hall!

However, while work was beginning on the plans, good news arrived once again, coming over the horizon in the form of a migration of dwarves from various other fortresses and the mountain homes, following is a record of their names and designated roles within Cattenvīr:

Webster, foodsmith.
SkeletalSoup, tinkerer.
OneFJef, woodsmith.
TheDude, druid.
Jamuson, stonesmith.
TheKelset, craftsmith.
Boxinator, metalsmith.
MrRexels, medicus.
JamesCox, stoneslayer.
Finally, rZombie, Arcan, and Merson, labourers.

With so many extra hands, work can continue on improving the fortifications of our humble base camp, while the added masons and miners can improve the speed at which the new living quarters are excavated and furnished. I've also been asked by Vultha to consider the creation of an archery range for our hunts-dwarves to be able to conduct training exercises while they allow animal numbers to replenish between hunting seasons. Not only do I think this a good idea, but I wonder if we might not benefit from the hunts-dwarves receiving some light military training as well?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

1st of Limestone, Early Autumn, Year 127:
The previous season passed slowly, almost. Though much of Summer slow, but steady progress was made on the living quarters, and many were quick to congratulate those working hard to carve out further rooms, one of the newest migrants TheDude, quietly withdrew from society. None would have noticed, were it not that he 'claimed' our crafting workshop (thankfully, without violence, but I'm told he was quite firm when someone tried to ask him to leave...)

I had barely enough time to hear about it than someone else came rushing to my office to report that he had begun a mysterious construction! I had other duties to attend to, and seeing as he was apparently content to work on his project without further disturbances, I left him to it... and well I did, for he has created an artefact!

Following is a description of this mysterious creation:

Akirtilesh, "Rewardtrussed", an oaken figurine of dwarves, it is of the highest quality.

The item is a masterfully designed image of Dwarves in oak. The Dwarves are travelling, and the artwork relates to the foundation of Cattenvīr, by the Pleated Craft, of the Cremated Furnaces in the early spring of 126.

It is studded with copper, decorated with oak, encircled with bands of oak and round magnetite cabochons, and menaces with spikes of copper. On the artefact, is an image in oak, of itself, Rewardtrussed, the oaken figurine of dwarves.

Many of the other Dwarves have wondered after its design, it is truly a wonder to behold... though something unsettling pricks at my mind whenever I stare at it (and my fingers, bloody spikes!). The small image, carved into the figurine itself, it has a way of drawing your attention to it, a perfect representation of its host, even down to the image itself. I've spent many a long hour staring hard into the ever smaller images as they repeat themselves, over and over. Others have reported similar episodes, some even branding the item witchcraft.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's certainly... interesting. As a precaution, I've advised that the children and pregnant women be kept away for the time being. At least until we understand the significance of this creation.

In the mean time (and at least partially to distract myself from Rewardtrussed) I have returned to the company of the miners and architects. It is time to consider the design of the great hall, to be houses on the same level as the general living quarters. I have grand plans!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

However, I received some comments suggesting that cage traps have since been nerfed and are not the cheesy way out of sieges they used to be. I can't find any information on how they've been nerfed on the wiki, so I was wondering if anyone has any information they could give on the way cage traps work these days? If they are a bit more fair with regard to besieging enemies (perhaps they stop to let caged allies out?) then I may consider using them a bit more, rather than avoiding them as a part of 'house rules'.

Cheers :)

The only "nerf" is something that people still can't decide is a bug or a feature (I consider it intentional behaviour, a feature).  You can no longer wall yourself in completely with traps (including cage traps) because traps block wagon pathing.  You can't effectively hide your trade depot behind rows of cage traps anymore.

If you come across an axedwarf that's weak and fragile, "Weenog" would be a good name for him.  Comes from a "civilized" goblin in a PC game that's incredibly easy to kill, and that you suffer no consequences whatsoever for killing.  Also it'd be funny if a goblin in a fake beard got lucky enough to become a military legend.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

Ahh, that may be what the comments were referencing. Cheers for the info, and Weenog has now been added to the military list :)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Watch our with your archery targets: they might not have the right "shoot from" direction, which would mean they'd need to be rebuilt.

It also might be worth you while to build a bolt-recovery mechanism wherever you do build an archery range.  To do that, you'd build your targets against the wall, but leave a space to the left and right of each target, channeling that space out so it's an open hole leading to an ammo stockpile below.  Any bolts that miss the target will hit the wall between the targets and fall down undamaged to the lower floor, at which point you can mass-reclaim the dropped bolts every few months, and they'll already be sitting in a stockpile so it won't take any hauling jobs to get them there.

Also, if you could name a dwarf after me at some point, that would be great.

EDIT: Since I always build overkill weapon traps with ten weapons, I decided to look up what you said about weapon traps jamming more with more components.  According to the wiki, it's a flat 50% to jam on kill as the unfortunate victim's corpse gets stuck in the mechanism, and this will only happen if they strike an immediate killing blow, rather than just causing the victim to bleed out a few steps later.  Which would mean the more lethal traps will jam more often, but only because they're more murderous
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:42:09 am by Tevish Szat »

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

A few people have mentioned a bolt recovery system, and I seem to remember once having a channel dug behind my targets as well, so I'm thinking of mixing your idea with that, and having the targets with a clear space either side, and then a channel behind it (against a wall) to try and recover the most amount of missed bolts.

As for the weapon traps, I wonder if that's something that changed at some point, or just something I remembered incorrectly. Though as you say, it seems having especially lethal traps might still be a disadvantage (especially with a flat 50% chance to jam on a body). Perhaps a better system would be to have a perimeter of traps with only a few weapons, but ones which would do well at softening up an opponent (chopping off arms/legs, causing internal bleeding, maybe piercing a lung or two, etc) then some weaker traps further along to either finish them off, or just counting on the injuries being enough to weaken them sufficiently that your own Military can finish the job without much risk.

A group of arm-less goblins is likely to be a much easier kill than one wielding weapons who got past because the first goblin died instantly and jammed your trap for all the others to follow.

Thanks for all these tips! Oh, and of course I'll add you to the migrant waiting list. Any particular profession you're hoping for, or happy for me to pick whatever's needed at the time?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for all these tips! Oh, and of course I'll add you to the migrant waiting list. Any particular profession you're hoping for, or happy for me to pick whatever's needed at the time?
If you have a dwarf with mechanics in the wave I'd be named in, I'd like that, but if not being in the fort is more than good enough.  :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

If you have a dwarf with mechanics in the wave I'd be named in, I'd like that, but if not being in the fort is more than good enough.  :)

Righto, I've updated the list :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

As of the latest migrant wave (which arrived right at the end of the last episode) I've updated the name list as shown below... if you're happy with the cliff-hanger from the last episode, and don't want to spoil the surprise, don't read through the list until I've finished editing and uploaded the next episode ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also added a section for the new babies in the fort, who I've named by combining the names of their parents :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:01:33 pm by Aavak »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5