Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Let's get eaten by dingoes and smothered by cats, in Dwarf Fortress: Cattenvir  (Read 11255 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

9th of Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, Year 127:
Much to my, and I'm sure everyone else's joy, many of the private rooms were finally finished. Already they have all been claimed however. It seems that as fast as we're able to carve out and furnish a single room, three more migrants have arrived and are ready to fight over who gets it!

Hmm, perhaps I should commission a gladiatorial pit be mined out... no, no, that wouldn't do. At least not until we have more citizens.

However, on the subject of migrants, the following Dwarves made the treacherous journey from the mountain homes, to join our budding young village:

Ayreki
KapaKnight
Haika
ljoonal
Anonymous
Aethirshero
PlanBPill
DrHylke
Milliams
Skelly
Volcatius

With this, our available workforce we should be able to prepare another group of personal quarters. We will still be painfully behind the demand, but for now it should prove sufficient to relieve some of the stress on the small dormitories in the base camp.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

Comments on Episode 15:
Fire Clay absolutely has special properties: if fire clay is used for ceramics it creates stoneware, which can hold liquids without being glazed.  Stoneware pots are a great way to expand your booze stockpile without having to cut down massive numbers of trees for barrels or use up your stone and metal.  Stoneware items are also more valuable than their earthenware counterparts, and because of how clay works it is an infinite resource: you could build a kiln and designate a "clay" activity zone over some fire clay floor, then set "gather clay" to repeat and have a massive stockpile of fire clay boulders to make pottery out of or even build from.  Conveniently, prepared meals will also be stored in such pots, letting you sell prepared food to the elves, who would otherwise get fussy about the barrels.

You can still make obsidian short-swords at a craftsdwarf's shop with an obsidian stone and a log for the handle.  They're not very good any more though, because for whatever reason obsidian doesn't have a great edge value.

You cannot smelt blocks, and raw whatever glass is only used as either an uncut gem or for moods that need glass including glassmaking moods.  To make glass items, you need to do it straight from sand.  It does look like you might have some red sand on the left side of the entrance, as there's a bright red natural wall on the surface, but I'm not totally familiar with the graphics pack.

The only real problem I see is that you probably don't have enough food-storage items (barrels or large rock or stoneware pots) around to actually get brewing done: they're all taken up holding prepared meals and raw materials like the meat your hunters bring in.  You have a well, so dwarves won't die, but they might start getting cross soon if the booze doesn't flow.

All in all, another good episode.  I really like seeing how the fortress takes shape, because it is so very different than my usual style, which is all narrow tunnels and long staircases in the depths.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

what happens when you die in game?
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wat.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

Wat.
i mean when the dwarf he named Aavak dies
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

25th of Timber, late Autumn, Year 127:
Work on the new set of personal quarters proceeds at a reasonable pace, though the production of furnishings is currently the bottleneck. However, I had little time to consider ways to improve the efficiency of our carpenters and masons, as the approach of winter heralded the arrival of our liaison from The Cremated Furnaces!

This years trading hit an unexpected snag early on. It would appear that following the creation of Rewardtrussed, no one thought to resume regular crafting tasks. (personal note: Some of the newer members of Cattenvīr display a woeful lack of initiative, it is becoming quite the burden...)

However, thanks to some of the masterfully prepared meals made by Shelab (whose name and culinary exploits are apparently legendary back in the mountain homes) we were able to acquire a reasonable amount of supplies.

With trading concluded, and the liaison apparently busying themselves taking in the sites of our rapidly expanding village, I will return to overseeing the design and construction of the great hall. Thanks to Evelynn's hard work, progress is being made at a staggering pace!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

15th of Opal, Mid-Winter, Year 127 -
Chief Medical Dwarf's personal memoirs:

Once again, Winter comes around and the booze stocks start to dwindle. At least we have a well this time... though whether it'll survive the big freeze that destroyed the last one remains to be seen. But still! A whole year to prepare and we're still running out of drink, how do they expect me to work like this?!

And yet, expect me to work they do! It's time for the annual psychiatric evaluation, so I've had to dig out all the various reports, official or otherwise. What no one seems to understand, is that we have nearly three times as many Dwarves living in Cattenvīr than we did this time last year... it would be more, save for the fact Dynu went and got himself killed. Poor fool.

If I'm lucky, I'll only have to deliver these reports, but if I'm expected to discuss them as well... then I may have to find a way to escape the meeting, and have MrRexels stand in for me while I hide away in the booze stockpile!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

About episode 20, which is up on youtube... this might not be a priority, but it looks like your defensive trench will break into your great hall's upper floor if dug all the way to the south on its western side
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

15th of Opal, Mid-Winter, Year 127:
The end of Autumn brought not only the promise of Winter, but the end of peace in Cattenvīr. It is with a heavy heart I record the death of one of our Stonesmiths, Dynu, who was cut down by a skulking goblin thief.

The news shook the community, but we remained resolved, even as we had to consider the necessity of building a tomb... a need I had hoped would be long years away from us.

Now, with Cattenvīr firmly held in Winters grasp, and the merchants readying to leave, we are left to marshal our efforts. There is much work to do, and less hands to do it, and there is also the question of improving our defences in the face of the recent tragedy.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

About episode 20, which is up on youtube... this might not be a priority, but it looks like your defensive trench will break into your great hall's upper floor if dug all the way to the south on its western side

After you pointed this out, I made some adjustments (you've likely already seen them, as I'm a bit behind on my forum posts! ;_;) so that shouldn't be an issue now. But thanks for the heads up, without that I would likely have messed everything up lol

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

13th of Obsidian, Late Winter, Year 127:
Despite the cold (which once again froze the camp's well) much work was done toward fortifying the camp grounds. Including laying plans for a new well that should survive the harsh winters, and also the perimeter wall and a trench beyond it, to deter further incidents.

However, unsurprisingly the agents of our enemies did not allows us peace to build these defences. Before the tomb for Dynu could even be smoothed, a second attack took place. Far more wretched than the first, a thief skulked into the fort and before its mother, slew one of the youngest children.

We have barely had time to come to terms with these tragedies, suffered in such quick succession, and yet here I am, restricted to the safety of the work camp as our military readies to march out to face our enemy...

Cattenvīr has been ambushed!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans

25th of Obsidian, Late Winter, Year 127:
With Evelynn and James caught outside in the beginnings of a defensive trench that they have been working on at my request; the goblin ambush chose a perfect point to attack, placing one of their agents between our miners and the military.

While the military rallied and marched out from the camp to rescue the pair, I have since learned that James and Evelynn quickly decided their chances of survival would be greatly enhanced by splitting up. What happened next isn't clear, too many reports from second hand sources, but it appears that James managed to cripple two goblins in his flight back to the camp, while Evelynn's escape was far less eventful. However, not all was to go our way, and once the military entered the frey things became far more chaotic.

The bloodied grass and severed limbs scattered across the battlefield bore silent witness to the ferocity of the conflict between the goblins and our two military squads: The Everlasting Stockades, and The Silvery Roughnessess.

With pride and sadness I must record the deaths of Tiny Tim, and Spartan. Two warriors, well liked by both their brothers and sisters in arms, and the greater population of Cattenvīr. They gave their lives in the pursuit of their duty as soldiers, and it shall long be remembered that without their sacrifice many may have died in their place.

And now, though the all clear has been sounded, there is much yet to do before we can consider this battle over. Not least of which, we need to gather the wounded and carry them to the hospital, a task even I must attend to, and so this journal entry shall end here. I pray only that we are not too late, and that my next entry shall not begin with yet another record of the dead...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]