Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introductions and a question  (Read 419 times)

sandant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Introductions and a question
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:17:01 pm »

Hello Bay 12 Forums, my name is Sandant however I am fine with being called Sandy, I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for about two years now and I have reached the level of skill I refer to as "Competent", none of my forts die from hunger or thirst anymore, I can stave off invasions, I have even had a very successful year 1 fortress that only ended due to a Forgotten beast syndrome that was transmitted by any pet that touched its body (Which was a lot before I knew what was happening). However I have now reached a point where the game is almost, boring, and a part of that seems to be just luck. I have a few forts running and one of them is in a terrifying Biome, where other than human blood pouring from the sky and a plentiful variety of a few types of "___men" There is not much going on. I have had to triple check to make sure that INVADERS are turned on.

That, though interesting, is not the source of my question, my other fortress, the Ageless Aged Abby of Ages, Is kind of happy-go-lucky fortress, despite the presence of goblins on the world map, they don't seem to care about visiting my fortress, who's population is now 204, there are several thousand prepared meals, 1700 drinks, a massive farm complex including extensive above-ground fields, and a thirty Dwarf military, even my nobles seem satisfied requesting I don't export any crossbows. So without goblins to kill and a disturbing lack of beasts considering beasts and savagery are both set to max..... I did what any player would do, Instigate war with the humans and elves, mainly by slaughtering Caravans. Well after a Skirmish with humans, (where I learned that a bronze whip is actually a Lightsabre that goes straight through steel helmets), I had a pretty hefty amount of injured Dwarves. Luckily in this fortress unlike several others where patients starving to death in bed is a regular occurrence, my doctors where pretty on-point. So my military stood down and Dwarves went to rest one marksdwarf bled to death while limping to the hospital. Then I looked at the unit screen and saw one trader escaped the blood-shed and was crawling along a mountain losing and regaining consciousness. So I sent one squad after him; and this is where we actually reach the question, the Dwarves went out and killed him, and then, one of them was found dead, at first I assumed it was just and injury that wasn't treated, but no "Urist McSwrodDwarf was struck down/bled to death appeared", then 2 more bodies were "found" and i checked the combat log, an expert Macedwarf, in full steel armor, had bashed the traders head in, and then turned on her three other squad-mates killing them. The combat logs where all in blue as if my Dwarves being brutally murdered was a good thing. She has an old head injury but that is it and no announcement of her being enraged appeared. she is now running around the mountain side killing herbalists and farmers, but even though people have seen her kill people and lived to tell about it, she doesn't count as a criminal, and it won't let my military attack her. She now has stripped out of her armor and is walking around in normal clothing brandishing an iron flask, she now runs when she sees a dwarf and she interrupts jobs as if she was a hostile mob, also my hunters and rangers shoot at her if they see her, as if she was a thief, but she just dodges or blocks the bolts. I need help guys,I didn't know if I should put this in the bug section or not since I don't know if its a bug or if this is just something I have yet to encounter.

So, asking for help both on the oddly peaceful state of my worlds, and for the monster currently derping around outside, yours truly
-Sandant

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions and a question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:00:31 pm »

Welcome to the forums, Sandy. This is what just happened inside your fortress. Loyalty cascades are kind of well known, and happen in fortress mode when you manage to injure or kill one of the dwarves from your parent civilization that don't live in your fort; namely, traders.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

I'm not too sure why your earlier forts are being left alone, and can only ask if your fort wealth is high enough to attract them, or if they can even reach your fort. I've noticed gobs unable to reach anywhere before because they were stuck on an isolated glacier surrounded by an ocean.

However, the second incident reads like a loyalty cascade. Was the merchant you had killed a dwarf? If so, your macedwarf is now an enemy of your civilization, while still being a part of your civ. The only way I know of that can prevent this from getting worse is to burrow your dwarf far away from everyone else, as anyone who attacks her will also become an enemy of your civilization as well.

Edit: it may be worth checking the DFHack thread to see if there is a script that can fix the cascade.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:03:56 pm by BlackFlyme »

sandant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:30 pm »

Oh my, that is a new piece of FUN for me to deal with, and yes my fortresses are accessible, I make sure NOT to put them in deep valleys or on islands ARMOK is happier that way. It almost seems like a good thing that the Macedwarf has simply been caving in skulls instead of causing a spiral, civil war in my fortress. I suppose I could have killed a Dwarf trader, but why he would still be on the map months after the caravan left puzzles me, I just assumed he was another filthy human that escaped the trade depot skirmish. Though it still doesn't explain why she has taken all of her armor off and thrown her shield and mace down.... Dwarf stuff I suppose.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:16:58 pm »

It's a known issue that if a trader that had visited your fort in the past has migrated to your fort as a citizen, they will glitch out and be marked as friendly, as opposed to becoming a part of the fort proper. It's much more common in younger worlds where there aren't enough pre-existing citizens to migrate to your fort, only leaving the procedurally generated merchants to come visit and then lounge around the edges of your map for eternity.

As for your dwarf randomly stripping in a field, it's possible that her turning rogue removed her from her squad, causing her to drop her equipment. Either that or she went insane.