Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: World Viewer for DF 44! [Updated 12-16-17]  (Read 123433 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer for DF 40.0X!
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2014, 10:37:05 am »

I have a small request for this app. Would it be possible to count the populations of all historical figures according to species? It would be nice to know if those histfig pop numbers get out of whack.

For example, I believe in DF2014 that goblin histfigs, in spite of the high numbers of goblins in the abstracted population, tend to have very low populations compared to the other civilized histfigs. This leaves almost all the goblin dirty work in world gen to descendants of kidnap victims of other species.

Whether that's a bug or a feature is hard to say, but in any case it would be nice to have proof of whether these numbers are low, or just seem low.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:39 pm »

I have a small request for this app. Would it be possible to count the populations of all historical figures according to species? It would be nice to know if those histfig pop numbers get out of whack.

For example, I believe in DF2014 that goblin histfigs, in spite of the high numbers of goblins in the abstracted population, tend to have very low populations compared to the other civilized histfigs. This leaves almost all the goblin dirty work in world gen to descendants of kidnap victims of other species.

Whether that's a bug or a feature is hard to say, but in any case it would be nice to have proof of whether these numbers are low, or just seem low.

If I'm not mistaken that's covered by the same update that made this work with the new DF version:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 09:44:02 am »

If I'm not mistaken that's covered by the same update that made this work with the new DF version:

Is it possible to see how many of those histfigs are dead?

It doesn't happen every time, but in many of my worlds, when I look up a goblin name like 'amxu', I find that goblins are outnumbered 10 to 1 compared to elves, humans and dwarves. Before I commit to a world, it would be nice to make sure it's nice and balanced.

EDIT: Also, what is the official way to know what version of world viewer I'm using/downloading? Do you just update the file version number on DFFD? Checking on the exe file properties just says 1.0 while in DFFD it's given as 1.6.

EDIT: Ok, one more thing! World viewer crashes on this world generated in 40.05. Maybe something changed?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:59:11 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »

Is it possible to see how many of those histfigs are dead?

It doesn't happen every time, but in many of my worlds, when I look up a goblin name like 'amxu', I find that goblins are outnumbered 10 to 1 compared to elves, humans and dwarves. Before I commit to a world, it would be nice to make sure it's nice and balanced.

Not easily, The best you could do is filter by race, and then by dead or not using the filter button at the bottom of the historical figure list, but that only gives you a list, not a count.  Since there are a million types of things people could want to filter on I'll work on a way to easily see how many objects are in the list when you add a filter.

EDIT: Also, what is the official way to know what version of world viewer I'm using/downloading? Do you just update the file version number on DFFD? Checking on the exe file properties just says 1.0 while in DFFD it's given as 1.6.

I'll make sure it's included in a visible place on the next update, and is consistent.  Thanks for the heads up.  For now just referring to the version number on DFFD is best.

EDIT: Ok, one more thing! World viewer crashes on this world generated in 40.05. Maybe something changed?

Thanks, I'll check this out ASAP.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:06 pm »

I'm betting it's some of the many raw and language changes in 40.05 causing the error.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »

I'm betting it's some of the many raw and language changes in 40.05 causing the error.

Nope, I don't really deal with anything from raws or language.  It was actually one of those situations where in an effort to coax a bit more out of the data I made an assumption that isn't always true.

Details: Turns out that sometimes there can be Abduction event collections where the abduction is done by a historical figure who was culled from the xml export.  I mistakenly assumed that wouldn't happen and in several dozen worlds it never did.

Put the version in the title (and made it correctly end up in file properties).  I'm holding out release until there is a version of dfhack for v40 that I can test my new bonus xml script against.  And I'm also trying to make sure the export incorporates all the new details.  Speaking of it.  These are the things I've been able to pull from dfhack:

• Region coordinates - shown on the map
  • Underground Region coordinates - shown on the map
  • Names/types of all the structures at all the sites
  • Types/materials for every artifact, you can also sort across this to find all the artifact swords for example, or adamantine artifacts
  • Entity Race and types
  • ...Events (these are using the internal event types, which aren't always the same as the ones that are exported)...
  • ADD_HF_ENTITY_LINK - Link type and position
  • REMOVE_HF_ENTITY_LINK - Link type and position
  • ADD_HF_HF_LINK, ADD_HF_SITE_LINK, REMOVE_HF_SITE_LINK - Link type
  • ITEM_STOLEN, MASTERPIECE_CREATED_ITEM, MASTERPIECE_CREATED_ITEM_IMPROVEMENT - Item type, material
  • MASTERPIECE_CREATED_ITEM_IMPROVEMENT - Improvement type, material (menaces with spikes of adamantine!)
  • BODY_ABUSED - how it was abused, on copper spikes, thrown in a pile, etc.
  • ASSUME_IDENTITY - Whose identity, be it a historical figure, or god
  • MASTERPIECE_CREATED_ARCH_CONSTRUCT - Type of building (magma glassforge)
  • HIST_FIGURE_DIED - The weapon used to kill them
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:03:26 am by Mason11987 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »

Having lost an unspecified bet, I'll replace the nonexistent forfeit with excitement about the new information - it looks great!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »

Gathering extra details about world constructions turned out good as well!

This is the 10k year world for the previous version that ORCA was kind enough to share.

Think lines are roads, curves are bridges, Dotted lines are tunnels.  The colors are the color of the civ who built the site.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:16 pm »

That is awesome. I can't wait to start working with this new stuff.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »

In the Races tab, are the populations listed only for historical figures, or is it adding up the population from each site? Because it usually lists there being 0 trolls, but looking at individual sites there are tens of thousands.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »

In the Races tab, are the populations listed only for historical figures, or is it adding up the population from each site? Because it usually lists there being 0 trolls, but looking at individual sites there are tens of thousands.

It actually only uses the counts from the world_sites_and_pops.txt file. 

Which means it shouldn't be showing zero for trolls in most cases...

Ha!  Looks like a bug.  And one parsing the world sites file no less, that was one of the first things I made.  Can't believe I never noticed that!

Essentially everything under "Underground Animal Populations (Including Undead)" is ignored.  Thanks for reporting this.  I'll have this fixed in my next version for sure.

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

Awesome program, really like it a lot!

Am I the only one that had it crash while playing back the timeline (so a good deal into it), though?
Should I upload the necessary world files for that (created with 0.40.06; also I'm on mono)?

The bridges and stuff you showed here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128932.msg4426698#msg4426698
They do not require extra info from dfhack, or do they (think not, otherwise this "for DF 40.0X" thread would not be entirely appropriate for it atm, eh)?
Is that only available in your current build version?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:12:53 pm by Beowulf »
warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 09:18:33 am »

Dumb question, but is it possible to figure out the Emblem of a given entity from the legends xml? I know that they have them ingame, but outside of Engravings and the Historical maps (and invader's armour)I can't seem to find them anywhere...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 06:00:16 pm »

Dumb question, but is it possible to figure out the Emblem of a given entity from the legends xml? I know that they have them ingame, but outside of Engravings and the Historical maps (and invader's armour)I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by emblem, where do you see it in-game?

Awesome program, really like it a lot!

Am I the only one that had it crash while playing back the timeline (so a good deal into it), though?
Should I upload the necessary world files for that (created with 0.40.06; also I'm on mono)?

The bridges and stuff you showed here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128932.msg4426698#msg4426698
They do not require extra info from dfhack, or do they (think not, otherwise this "for DF 40.0X" thread would not be entirely appropriate for it atm, eh)?
Is that only available in your current build version?

Please do upload the files it would help me find if it's a bug, I've never had the timeline crash but because of how many factors are involved I could have certainly overlooked something.

The bridges in the first post don't require the DFHack details, but they're formed only from connecting the starting and ending site, which isn't quite as accurate.

The more accurate roads in this picture require the detaisl from DFHack, and they're not in the build you have available, since DFHack doesn't work yet with the latest version

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:06 am »

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by emblem, where do you see it in-game?

These:

(Image spliced together from Historical Maps in legends mode, and two engravings from fort mode, which, of course, also show up in legends mode.)
As you can see, the symbol for Gizzard stones(which I did not know at all DF had, but okay) is the same circley symbol as used for ant-nests. It's used in the historical map to mark territory for that civ.

I was wondering if it's possible for world-viewer to give us the text-description of said symbol somehow, though I understand this may require looking through the existing art.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11