Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: World Viewer for DF 44! [Updated 12-16-17]  (Read 123437 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer for DF 40.01!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 01:56:49 pm »

It's been a long time since I've used this utility. Are there some instructions anywhere? I have a 'load world' button which seems to be look for a map .bmp file, but when I give it one it doesn't like it. I don't remember how to get started looking at worlds.

EDIT: Ok, got it working. However, I'm finding it very crash-happy on Windows 7. I'd like to upload my files, but that's over 200MB. Is it working for you?

EDIT2: Looks like a null reference exception.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:15:56 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:35 pm »

I've been trying the 32 bits version with 0.40.01.

I noticed inside the 32bits directory there's a folder named x64 for some reason and i launch the program i load the map i exported from DF, then the program load the XML (that i had exported too), and crash suddenly with "DFWV has encountered an error..."

I decide to rename the x64 subfolder into x86 and it does exactly the same thing.

It's a small world with less than 100 years of history, played a fortress that i retired and an adventurer on it
screenshot of the program state at the time of crash :

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:11 pm »

I still plan on doing a 10k again bt am having trouble genning past 500 years without lock ups

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:47:36 pm »

It's been a long time since I've used this utility. Are there some instructions anywhere? I have a 'load world' button which seems to be look for a map .bmp file, but when I give it one it doesn't like it. I don't remember how to get started looking at worlds.

EDIT: Ok, got it working. However, I'm finding it very crash-happy on Windows 7. I'd like to upload my files, but that's over 200MB. Is it working for you?

EDIT2: Looks like a null reference exception.

Just upload a new version and I properly included the readme this time. direct download link.  Give that a shot, a few issues were reported on reddit that I addressed.  If you have the same errors there might be some additional info when that error comes up, if you have that it might help.

I've been able to load multiple GB files so that shouldn't be the issue.

I've been trying the 32 bits version with 0.40.01.

I noticed inside the 32bits directory there's a folder named x64 for some reason and i launch the program i load the map i exported from DF, then the program load the XML (that i had exported too), and crash suddenly with "DFWV has encountered an error..."

I decide to rename the x64 subfolder into x86 and it does exactly the same thing.

It's a small world with less than 100 years of history, played a fortress that i retired and an adventurer on it
screenshot of the program state at the time of crash :

I resolved an issue related to adventurer worlds (and the misplaced folder deal) (hadn't been able to test that enough this release) that might help if you want to redownload.  Let me know if your issues are resolved

I still plan on doing a 10k again bt am having trouble genning past 500 years without lock ups

Sounds good, I'm going to try to gen one myself to do some more testing.

eternaleye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:45 am »

Hey, this works under Mono on Linux except for one teensy bug:

In MainForm.cs, on lines 102-105 and 132, you concatenate paths as if they were strings using '\\' (unescaping to '\') as the path separator. On Linux, the path separator is a _forward_ slash '/', and thus it looks for the _file_ parentdir\filename in those cases (and fails, unless you humor it and name a second copy of the files accordingly).

If you use Path.Combine( workingFolder, tempName + <per-file-suffix> ), it'll Just Work regardless of OS.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:04 am »

01 files were causing crashes but 02 files seemed to work from the viewer downloaded july 9th. This was win7. Will try new version soon.

Kraetzin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 07:33:03 am »

Great tool! This makes adventure mode 100x more playable. I've got one question though. Is it possible to filter sites on the map based on type? Mainly I'm after filtering the neutral sites, to only display ruins (ie. abandoned hamlets, hillocks, towns, forts etc). It'd be useful to be able to filter out a lot of the noise you get from the various other neutral sites.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:40 am »

I resolved an issue related to adventurer worlds (and the misplaced folder deal) (hadn't been able to test that enough this release) that might help if you want to redownload.  Let me know if your issues are resolved
This new version is working for me, it managed to load the map then the xml apparently without a problem and no crashing.
Thank you.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:58 am »

I have this working as well. Great!

I have one little confusion to report so far. When someone marries an 'unknown creature', presumably a non-historical figure, they are listed as having married themselves. I guess that's ok, but it made me look it up just to figure that out.

Nah, nah, I get it now, it just has no target for the event. Makes sense now. Might be nicer to say that the target is unknown.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:59:13 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »

Glad it's working well for you guys now. 

Made a few tweaks as suggested/requested:

Hey, this works under Mono on Linux except for one teensy bug:

In MainForm.cs, on lines 102-105 and 132, you concatenate paths as if they were strings using '\\' (unescaping to '\') as the path separator. On Linux, the path separator is a _forward_ slash '/', and thus it looks for the _file_ parentdir\filename in those cases (and fails, unless you humor it and name a second copy of the files accordingly).

If you use Path.Combine( workingFolder, tempName + <per-file-suffix> ), it'll Just Work regardless of OS.

Awesome.  Got it, and fixed.

Great tool! This makes adventure mode 100x more playable. I've got one question though. Is it possible to filter sites on the map based on type? Mainly I'm after filtering the neutral sites, to only display ruins (ie. abandoned hamlets, hillocks, towns, forts etc). It'd be useful to be able to filter out a lot of the noise you get from the various other neutral sites.

Cool idea, pretty sure I got it in this update.  Take a look and let me know what you think.  As an alternative, you can also filter to get that in the site list, and then click the coordinates to show that item on the map.

I have this working as well. Great!

I have one little confusion to report so far. When someone marries an 'unknown creature', presumably a non-historical figure, they are listed as having married themselves. I guess that's ok, but it made me look it up just to figure that out.

Nah, nah, I get it now, it just has no target for the event. Makes sense now. Might be nicer to say that the target is unknown.

Could you possibly send me a screenshot?  I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to.  There are some issues with the Add HF HF link events because it only gives you the two Historical figures, and no details about what type of event it is.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer Updated! (for 34.11)
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »

...some story generation ideas I've had.
Please, do tell us more.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »

I have noticed this doesn't show elf populations right, Legends viewer is what i have been useing to find the real population of them if it doesn't crash.
Its pretty good though it needs to show Civ statics and something easier for finding megabeats, nercomancers and other fun stuff.
Theres alot of information that just needs to be displayed alot better.

Found out that goblin fortresses get 10k population pretty quick on any world they're on even with goblin maxage set to 30-50
I did like how they kept changing their leaders every few years if the demon died.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »

I have noticed this doesn't show elf populations right, Legends viewer is what i have been useing to find the real population of them if it doesn't crash.
Its pretty good though it needs to show Civ statics and something easier for finding megabeats, nercomancers and other fun stuff.
Theres alot of information that just needs to be displayed alot better.

Found out that goblin fortresses get 10k population pretty quick on any world they're on even with goblin maxage set to 30-50
I did like how they kept changing their leaders every few years if the demon died.

So there are a few issues with populations.  Mostly around which numbers to use.

There are civ population numbers at the top of the sites file, there are individual site population numbers below that, and there are the list of historical figures.  At the moment I believe the numbers listed on the civilizations tab are based on the numbers at the top of the sites file, since from my understanding that's the broadest measure.

I'm not aware of exactly how Legends Viewer does it if it comes out with a different number.

I'll try to pin down necromancers and megabeasts more though, you can expect that to be a filter option in the next update.

If you have some specifics about layout I'd be glad to hear them.  I mostly play fortress mode so what is most interesting to someone who plays a lot of adventure mode might not be obvious to me.

...some story generation ideas I've had.
Please, do tell us more.

When I've genned worlds and used World Viewer I've tried to dig into some interesting stories about people who have existed, but finding out what makes someone or some event interesting is tricky.  Essentially I'm trying to work on a way of distilling the legends mode stories people develop by stumbling across an interesting thread and following it to find a story.  I'd like to be able to find these and get them up front.  The one thing I've found by testing and analyzing hundreds of worlds is how crazy the variety is, but "what's interesting" is complicated but ultimately that's what people really want out of something like this.  Giving them easy ways to navigate the data is one step, but giving some tips on where to look first would be better.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:26:33 pm by Mason11987 »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 06:25:12 am »

If you have some specifics about layout I'd be glad to hear them.  I mostly play fortress mode so what is most interesting to someone who plays a lot of adventure mode might not be obvious to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before.

You can see how it doesn't tell you much, With all the leaders its not clear about whos who and who is dead out of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you had a layout like this for Civs it would be easier to get the details about them like their population, the type of sites they own and its pop.
You might want to have site history for sites they once had or owned at some point.
Leaders really needs to be redone to something like this so it makes more sense then alot of names as it was before. Goes With By rank or title then their number then the year they took it as well as race.

Wars is another thing you need to show as well as events such as the civ being attacked by a megabeast or something.
Thats just the Civ screen.

Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:56:35 pm by KillzEmAllGod »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 06:32:17 am »

Looks like a nice set of improvements - but please stick large images in a spoiler, if you're loading them inline!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11