Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: World Viewer for DF 44! [Updated 12-16-17]  (Read 123441 times)

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer for DF 40.01!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

I think i may have found my genning problem. toady says there was a bug making millions of people. lets see how 40.04 goes when it comes out

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 04:04:45 pm »

<snip>

I like your layout suggestions, all of that is definitely do-able and now on the short-list.  Thanks.

Edit -
Spoiler: Progress! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:57:57 pm by Mason11987 »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 04:14:11 pm »

I like your layout suggestions, all of that is definitely do-able and now on the short-list.  Thanks.

I'll definitely be watching out for the next version. Thanks for making this super useful tool.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »

<Progress!>
You able to use a different font and colour plus some more space for the race?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 03:56:16 pm »

<Progress!>
You able to use a different font and colour plus some more space for the race?

It looks like trying to do coloring has a performance impact with the listbox.  I'm probably going to just go with one color to highlight sections since I think using multiple colors for text is only helpful if that provides additional information (like blue/red for male/female HF in some places).  Since the same code will be used for all sorts of grouping (Region types, site Types, civilization races, historical event types, etc. etc.) trying to assign a variety of colors might not be useful.

Spoiler: A little more progress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:13:13 pm by Mason11987 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer for DF 40.01+!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »

Yessss.....   It's almost unbelievable how much more information that screen conveys just by adding the second and third columns. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:45 pm »

Ooh, I am a big fan of third-party programs like these.
Not ones that help with gameplay, those are mostly superfluous. But the amount of information that creates the background to the world is staggering, and it's pretty much impossible to keep track of how everyone is related to everyone else by memory alone.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:30 pm »

I didn't know what you were referring to by the numbers on your example, birth/death?

First one was if they were 1st or 49th queen just to give some order second one of when they took it so you get a feeling of how many years they held it for and when.

Could you do colour for the sites types?
At least do something so its easier to read the info then just all the same text and colour at some point.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »

Yessss.....   It's almost unbelievable how much more information that screen conveys just by adding the second and third columns.

Yeah I definitely think it's a great addition, I definitely focused more on other areas but these changes are definitely fleshing it out.  (I also added something for dealing with zip files!)

First one was if they were 1st or 49th queen just to give some order second one of when they took it so you get a feeling of how many years they held it for and when.

Could you do colour for the sites types?
At least do something so its easier to read the info then just all the same text and colour at some point.

Ah okay, they come in order by type.  But I think how long they served would be a good addition.

How bout this for the groupings along the left?

Spoiler: More Progress (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:19:33 pm by Mason11987 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »

Legends Viewer just updated for 0.40, but I think I might not go back :D

Only suggestion:  use the ISO standard for dates; YYYY-MM-DD
 Donations here.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »

Updated, here's a direct link

(Note: It doesn't behave quite right if you try to group by two fields at once... so don't try that for now)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:43 pm »

How bout this for the groupings along the left?
Looks much better though i would like a different font or it being bold to stand out from the other text there.

For the site one could you get it so you can sort it by type and population and something to point out where the Leader is ruling from.
Just need to add in small thing for population by top 5 sentients could do a more detailed population count under Enity population for everything other then intelligent.

The leader one just needs to also say their gender maybe merge the race with it so its like Female Human or male human instead of humans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:33 am »

Looks much better though i would like a different font or it being bold to stand out from the other text there.

For the site one could you get it so you can sort it by type and population and something to point out where the Leader is ruling from.
Just need to add in small thing for population by top 5 sentients could do a more detailed population count under Enity population for everything other then intelligent.

The leader one just needs to also say their gender maybe merge the race with it so its like Female Human or male human instead of humans.

I'll look at making it stand out more and sorting the site list on the civ tab.

I haven't actually collected the data for where he's ruling from, but that should be available from the sites file, so I'll get that displayed somewhere.    Edit - It looks like it's only available for some leaders.  The others can be assumed from Change HF State events, but some have no way of pinpointing where he's located.

I'm not sure what this is saying "Just need to add in small thing for population by top 5 sentients could do a more detailed population count under Enity population for everything other then intelligent."

I went ahead and dug into plurals/singulars a bit and fixed all that stuff with things like Dwarves showing up where Dwarf should and the reverse.  Actually a lot simpler then I thought since I didn't have to write my own code to pluralize/singularize things.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:20:56 am by Mason11987 »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:12 pm »

I'm not sure what this is saying "Just need to add in small thing for population by top 5 sentients could do a more detailed population count under Enity population for everything other then intelligent."
Just somthing to show the Total poplation and the races that make up it up.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer for DF 40.0X!
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »

Quick question:  what would be in the zip file to include everything World Viewer can use? 

For Legends Viewer it's the XML, sites/pops txt, history txt, and a map; but I can add more with the porcessing script since additional files are just ignored without error. 
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11