Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: MacNewbie Pack v0.10.3 with DF 42.04  (Read 317112 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: MacNewbie Pack v0.9.18 with DF 40.24
« Reply #435 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »

One quick request: my preferred graphics pack is Spacefox, and I was wondering if you might consider including two versions of that?  It was great to see that you have the latest version, with Leo's latest overrides, but unfortunately there's an issue that makes these a little annoying to play with.
[/snip]
Thx for the compliments!
I tagged that commit for now: https://github.com/fricy/Spacefox/archive/40.24-fr.zip, I'll see what I can do about it in the future. My problem with Spacefox is that the original author is gone, and it's becoming unfocused, the recent additions are not really Spacefoxy... I'm not promising to distribute two versions of the same pack, but maybe I'll have some time to maintain two forks. I'll think about what's best.
On the other hand I saw a recent twbt addition that may address your problem. The command should work in 0.9.18.

But before you start considering those more drastic means, it's quite possible that this .Net-requiring Legends viewer will, or can be made to run direct on OSX.  There's a port of .Net to OSX and Linux, called Mono.   Its success with .Net software that wasn't specifically designed from the start to run on non-Windows may be mixed, but it's not impossible it will work immediately - at least to some value of 'work' (might have UI glitches for example.)  And if this Legends Viewer is open source, there's every chance it can be modified to work much better.

I'll try and take a look at it soon, although it will likely have to wait until the weekend as I'm going away from tomorrow until Friday.
That sounds promising.  8)  ('got ninja'd, whatever, leaving this here)
Forum msg with partial progress
Repo fork

Update: It turns out that PlayOnMac is just another front end to Wine, and that running Legends Viewer is beyond the capacity of Wine, probably due to something called .NET Framework (I've been an Apple user for 25 years, I have no idea what that is beyond "that thing that keeps breaking my hacks"). So, at this point, I'm seriously tempted to buy a gorram junk PC to read my Legends in....
Can't say I'm suprised.  ;D You might find this interesting.

Fricy, I'm patiently waiting for the MacNewbie Pack. I highly prefer the tools you provide in it along with Dwarf Therapist.
I'd have preferred it too, but the necessary script crashes DF after the 42.x update. I'll post a link to an updated DT here once it's ready.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:16:36 pm by fricy »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MacNewbie Pack v0.10.1 with DF 42.02
« Reply #436 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »

So here's the first new DF release:

Download MacNewbie 0.10.1 from DFFD
SHA-256: 95b416cc70fca8809bcd7658f5c90fe6f948d8af68f9a3b6134d0b63178997ae

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:17:06 pm by fricy »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 07, 2015, 05:45:50 pm »

Thx for the compliments!
I tagged that commit for now: https://github.com/fricy/Spacefox/archive/40.24-fr.zip, I'll see what I can do about it in the future. My problem with Spacefox is that the original author is gone, and it's becoming unfocused, the recent additions are not really Spacefoxy... I'm not promising to distribute two versions of the same pack, but maybe I'll have some time to maintain two forks. I'll think about what's best.

OK thanks, and fair enough!

I don't know precisely which changes you're referring to as 'recent' - whether that means the very new ones in the last few weeks, or includes any changes this year or whatever?  To be honest, if there had to be "one" Spacefox, my vote would be for the July 2015 version.  I don't know if that's still "spacefoxy" or not, but I figure at the very least it has to be more Spacefoxy than what's in right now, simply by virtue of having fewer new changes.

I do like the latest additions, and a lot of it feels like an improvement.  But I'm coming to the feeling that the Workshops are a bit much.  With July 2015 Spacefox, I am pretty good at recognising any workshop (in a large cluster of varied workshops) from a quick glance.  I have found I am losing that ability in Latest Spacefox.  The graphics are better, but they're also a little harder to distinguish - there's a lot of dark tiles, and the 'unique' part of each Workshop is a little harder to pick out, at least for me.   That may be partly because I've got a lot fewer hours in Latest than I do in July.  But I do feel like it's got a bit 'heavier' if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, some of the other stuff I definitely do prefer - like the new stones, walls, farms and more.

Perhaps my perfect Spacefox would be the new stuff from Latest, but the Workshops from July (and also the original numbers from July, because although the new numbers look great on water/magma, they completely kill Designation Priorities which I can't live without.)   But I'm sure that's just something I'd use locally, I don't think the world needs yet another Spacefox combo.

So whatever you decide to use as your master I can always keep my own local preferred version anyway, so it's no big deal.  But I will say that if you did decide to go back to July, you would get a vote from me: I think on balance I prefer the clean look of July to the fancier-but-heavier look of Latest, and if I had to pick one or the other (no merging of the two) I would go back to July. 

All that said, you may be referring to a yet-older, original version of Spacefox I've not seen!

In the meantime I am going to keep playing with Latest as per your pack, putting in a good few 10s of hours in a new game just to be sure of my preferences.  Which I can now do because..

On the other hand I saw a recent twbt addition that may address your problem. The command should work in 0.9.18.

Fixed! Thank so much.  I thought I was keeping up with the TWBT thread but obviously I am not, because I missed that completely.

So mifki did already do the fix and yes it works great - and with no overall FPS hit at all. There is sometimes a slight lag when I scroll, but it's no big deal at all and most importantly total FPS and GFPS stay the same (which are v low for me on OSX vs Windows, but that's a different story.) 

That sounds promising.  8)  ('got ninja'd, whatever, leaving this here)
Forum msg with partial progress
Repo fork

:)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 09, 2015, 02:48:36 am »

[OSX]Dwarf Therapist 33.0 preliminary version for 42.02

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 12, 2015, 01:16:47 am »

I've got a preliminary OSX compile of TWBT working with DF 42.02 / DFHack 42.02-r0:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently it only supports fortress mode, due to some compilation errors relating to missing struct members in DFHack's viewscreens for adventure mode.  I am guessing this is because DFHack's adventure mode support is not yet complete for v42 in the pre-release builds.

But it appears to work in fortress :)  I haven't yet tested the TWBT versions of automaterial, mousequery, etc, but don't anticipate any problems with those.

Tomorrow we're expecting/hoping v42.03 to come out so my plan is to wait until that comes out before uploading the changed code or any binaries.  As soon as it is out I will repeat the updates for the new version, and then send them to mifki via Github.   I don't know whether he'll want to provide any binaries or not, he may want to wait for a non-pre-release DFHack. 

If so, I can supply my OSX TWBT binary for use against DFHack 42.03-r0 when that is released, if any individuals want to use it.  I imagine fricy will also want to wait for a proper DFHack/TWBT release before including it in a pack?

PS. I've only done the updates for TWBT OSX, but tomorrow plan to definitely do Linux, and hopefully Windows as well.

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 12, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »

Ooooooh can't wait for TWBT..! I'm torn between missing TWBT terribly and wanting to play with the new inns, temples and libraries.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »

Fricy, thank you for your work on this. May I ask when you expect to have the DF-Hack functionality integrated in with MacNewbie and the 42.03 ver?

Not to rush you at all. Just asking is all.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 12, 2015, 08:47:33 pm »

The workshops for spacefox are quite easy to fix, to be spacefoxy. I don't really play dwarf fortress often, not even a 10th of how often you play it so it hasn't really hit me. Afterall it took me a year to figure out minecart tracks weren't working correctly but in my defense no one else noticed it either. The numbers are also something else that could be fixed to work with designations however they'd probably be really bright or dark as water 8). Idk if it is possible to make it so each workshop has a different flooring, that'd make it quite easy to tell the difference, but the old workshops still exist in the overrides file, you just have to comment out the new ones if you don't want them or delete them from the txt file and uncomment the old ones.

For example the workshops from the WIPoverridesWorkshops24x24 tileset would definitely fit spacefox more, however the other one was more clear cut and easier to throw together. There's also the problem with twbt not coloring workshops correctly(or at least not that tilesets workshops), well if you precolor them, also that floor would need to be changed. That'll be fixed eventually (by twbt), plus dubjour should be back in 6 months or so if his rl issues get fixed and he hasn't forsaken the blood god. I really only pay attention to df modding and df tileset sections however, without signing in unless I make a post so complaints about workshops here aren't likely to be remedied as no one sees them. Fricy doesn't have the time to do it, unless it's just getting rid of them.

Toady should really do a fundraiser with the intent to have someone come in and fix up the graphics engine so there can be more than 256 main tiles./rant

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist update for 42.03
« Reply #443 on: December 19, 2015, 06:14:03 am »

[OSX]Dwarf Therapist 33.0 for 0.42.02-0.42.03

Dwarf Therapist 42.03 layout for manual install

Macnewbie will be updated later today.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MacNewbie Pack v0.10.2 with DF 42.03
« Reply #444 on: December 19, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

Enjoy the new Macnewbie pack.

In the package you can find a pre-release development version of dfhack. It is deactivated by default, and I don't recommend playing with it, loading it, or using it it any way: it's still incomplete and can crash/burn/corrupt your saves! However, it's there, you may use it to load stonesense for making screenshots, or exporting legends, running prospect, whatever. Just remember: backup your saves, and avoid saving while dfhack is running, or bad things may happen! You have been warned.

Download MacNewbie 0.10.2 from DFFD
sha: a4c55f2648bc7a48f3757d21d82b2e10355bfec73c5818caacad34f53731691f

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:18:13 am by fricy »

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist update for 42.03
« Reply #445 on: December 19, 2015, 06:24:43 pm »

Dwarf Therapist 42.03 layout for manual install
OMG you are my new best friend. Thank you.

larkvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 19, 2015, 07:12:45 pm »

Many thanks!

irsmert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:57 am »

Is it possible to install mods using this pack?  I'm just getting into DF again after an extensive break and previously I always played it on my desktop PC. Does anyone have experience with modding DF on OSX, specifically with this pack?  Thanks!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 22, 2015, 11:14:50 am »

Is it possible to install mods using this pack?  I'm just getting into DF again after an extensive break and previously I always played it on my desktop PC. Does anyone have experience with modding DF on OSX, specifically with this pack?  Thanks!
More or less: you can put the mod into the LNP/mods folder adhering to the DF folder structure and use the launcher to install it. So the folders should look something like: LNP/mods/superdupermod/raw/objects. Keep in mind that the mod merger function still lacks a powerful raw parser, so if you want to install multiple mods it'll likely fail, and most likely you won't be able to use complex graphics with it (like phoebus, which modify the raws themselves), only ascii based tilesets like Taffer or Tergel.

irsmert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 22, 2015, 01:01:05 pm »

Thanks, everything I needed to know!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34