Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Battle Arena: Officially over.  (Read 29324 times)

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Arena: Flabort Wins! Team Battle initiated!
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2013, 12:08:52 pm »

So slayer, you feeling an "Oh fuck" moment coming along?

Also Scionox seems like hes ready to stab lukinator in the shin.
Curse his sudden but inevitable betrayal!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:58 pm »

Y'know I'm starting the think that Flabort's spin attack is a bit overpowered for using just 1AP....I mean look at lukinators attack, it does about 2 or 3 damage, wheras Flabort consistently does half a health bar or worse.....
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2013, 07:50:26 pm »

My stats go really well with my abilities.   ;D
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »

My stats go really well with my abilities.   ;D
Er....I know its probably fruitless to ask, but how so?
I mean I don't really see how that explains your extreme murderlizing potential...

Indeed, I do this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:23 pm »

Lukinator rolled 12 dice for his electro-bolt. I roll 15 for my spin attack. Ergo, I have 15 in my relevant stat, he has 12.
Furthermore, I have extended success on my relevant stat. He has extended fumble.

This means I succeed twice as often, and have a higher maximum damage. He can do, at most, 12, and I can do at most 15. He has a 1.2% chance of obtaining maximum damage, and I can't remember how to calculated his chances of fumbling (1/3 each, need 6, out of 12 chances). I have a 2.2% chance of obtaining maximum damage, and a lower chance of fumbling (1/6 each, need 8, out of 15 chances).

Let's also look at Xantalos's chance to resist damage. He had 14 dice rolled, therefor a 14 in the relative stat. Due to wild rolls on 3s AND 4s, he has extended wild. He has a 1.2% chance of maximum resistance (comparable to Lukinator's lower stat), and an easier time of avoiding fumbles than Luke (1/6 each, need 7, out of 14 chances).

Since Logic is rolled for abilities, Lukinator's using his inferior logic to try and win. He might be better off not trying to use abilities, but instead attack directly. Meanwhile, if Xantalos wasn't up against someone with 15 logic extended success with a fast ability, he'd be quite a tank, and recover AP virtually every time someone hit him (1/2 chance each, need 7, out of 14 chances).

Finally, I will point out that no-one rolled to resist damage from Lukinator's attack, it cannot be resisted. His ability would be far more overpowered then mine if he had the stats to go with it.
The Cyan Menace

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »

And I now realize just how much thought you must have put into this :P
I mean I put a lot into my character as well, but I haven't been really paying attention to all the rolls and such.
And here you are figuring out everyones stats and extended abilities from the results. I am shamed.

Indeed, I do this.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:24 pm »

Wow, that's quite the science there, flabort.

I'm impressed, but you have 1 thing wrong.

There is no max damage, because 6's are always re-rolled.

But yeah, from now on, when people finish a fight, I'm not going to restart them, for two reasons.

One, this game takes a massive amount of time to update, due to the way that people are drawn from multiple body parts, it takes a couple minutes for each person to assemble their pose. Also, while I really like the Dice Pool system, it does take a considerable amount of time to write them in.

The other reason is that the system is pretty badly unbalanced. You can see flabort's analysis above to see. If somebody has an ability that is better than attacking, and the power to spam it, they can be very overpowered.

I've actually been working out the rules for a new fighting system that only vaguely resembles this one, is a lot more balanced, and actually would use no dice whatsoever. I just need to write down the rules sometime.

But yeah, when I have the time to get back to updating, you people better start dying, so I can get to the better, new system.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »

Right. I forgot about re-rolls. Darn, that ALWAYS puts a kink into probability science.

Edit: If I had time and wasn't working on preparing something else right now (With BFEL and Tsuchigumo as co-creators and co-GMs), I'd gladly pick this up if you'd let me.
I'd of course tweak it ever so slightly (only one active ability, any others all have to be passive, and remove the free points in each stat; also simpler art), and add races besides human.
Examples: Elf, gain extra move speed every 4 points instead of 5, strength and fortitude provide extra bonuses at 6 instead of 5. 20 points in physical, 30 in mental (remember, I'm removing the free 6 points from each stat, so humans get 25/25 instead of 20/20).
Ogre: Gain extra weapon size at every 4 points instead of 5, logic and focus provide extra bonuses at 6 instead of 5. 30 points in physical, 22 in mental.
Gnome: Extra ability every 4 points instead of 5, Strength and Willpower provide extra bonuses at 6 instead of 5. 20 points in physical, 24 in mental.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:13:09 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2013, 01:07:54 am »

(With BFEL and Tsuchigumo as co-creators and co-GMs)
Lol I'm hardly a co-GM at this point, my contributions are practically non-existant :P

Indeed, I do this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:00 pm »

Lol I'm hardly a co-GM at this point, my contributions are practically non-existant :P
Just hop on and chat every once and a while, you said you wanted to design some of the world and plot. We'll have a better idea of what to design next with some more input.  ;)
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:53 am »

Just hop on and chat every once and a while, you said you wanted to design some of the world and plot. We'll have a better idea of what to design next with some more input.  ;)
Yeah, I'd be fine with that, right now, I'm working on a new system (like I said, it won't use dice ata ll) where I take this idea of the "Each turn is only 1/3 of a second" and take it a step further, where it's only about 1/10 of a second, like the individual frames of a sprite-based fighting game. But it wouldn't go superslow because I could probably get through about 2 or 3 turns each update before player input could be added in again.
Again, I'll likely make a test game to show you guys when I get around to it.

Also,. the different races idea sounds really cool.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2013, 08:53:47 pm »

Ok, guys.

I've been putting off updating this because it's become more work than enjoyment for me.
It's not because of any of you, you've all been great, it's the system itself that I have a problem with.

There's a lot I don't like.
I dislike the way the map works in just a single straight line.
I dislike the dice pool system due to how tedious it is.
I dislike the way I made the stats, because some are useless, and some are too powerful.
I dislike the way that stamina currently works.
I dislike the way that combos work, particularly with the way they modify warm-up times.
Really, this is a pretty terribly made system.

I've been thinking of ways to do a better one, one that I can keep track of, and won't have a bunch of pointless variables involved.

I'd like to change the way health works, but doing so would over-complicate it for me, so I'd leave it the same.
I'd get rid of both stamina and AP, and roll them into one thing that makes more sense.
I'd change the ways abilities work.
I'd get rid of stats completely.
I'd change how moves work, particularly with combos, and make them make more sense, and more rewarding for pulling them off correctly.
I'd change the way the map worked, but I don't think I'd like to make it a grid.
Honestly, I would change a lot.

I really hate it when someone shuts down a game that they are running, but I understand that those people need to think about how much they enjoy doing it. If someone doesn't like to update their game because it's no longer fun, then the game will suffer and so will the players if they keep trying to do so.
I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't think I can keep this game running the way it is, and with all of the changes I'd like to make, and to such core principles of the game, there's no way I could simply convert everybody over to the new system.

I think I'll have to end this game, because I simply can't do this anymore.
But thank you all, it was fun to do, and I think I've learned a lot from it.

If I do start up a game with the new system, then you all will get first call on it.

Thanks
The Derail Thread

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »

Awwr, herre it goes, haven't even got to use my abilities... oh well, looking forward to new one whenever it'd start.
Rawr

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:20 am »

Can we see Xantaloses lame description?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »

Can we see Xantaloses lame description?
Oh yeah!

"I shall be a Fleshwarper! He who can alter his body to be able to do stuff, ie grow giant muscles, develop acid spitters, grow wings, claws, etc."

This was the whole thing.
Also, although he didn't get the chance to use, I gave him a hallucinogenic grenade.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15