Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A cave-in question  (Read 1379 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A cave-in question
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:37:22 am »

Hello! I'm thinking through an idea for a (semi)mega project, and was wondering how cave-ins work with respect to open spaces. For example

x= natural walls
_= natural floor tiles
I = support

Side view:
Code: [Select]
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xx__xx
x_____
xxxxxx
      I

Okay, so say that's my side view of a carved out pyramid of rock. In the middle of this pyramid are some open spaces where the caverns are, or pre-mined areas or whatever. When I pull the lever and drop the support, do those spaces remain? Or does each pillar of rock essentially fall 'on its own' as it were (without respect to what its joined to), thus filling the empty spaces with fallen rock?

[edit] changed pyramid to a square to better illustrate my question. Once the support is removed, will the whole thing be lower, or will it look like this:

Code: [Select]
x
xx__xx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:42:20 am by Russell.s »

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: A cave-in question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:54:19 am »

If I'm interpreting your diagram correctly (and the entire pyramid is supported only by the lever), then yes - the empty spaces would fill in. Each pillar of rock involved in a cave in falls straight down until it hits a solid tile of rock wall, filling up any empty spaces in between.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:04:55 am »

If I'm interpreting your diagram correctly (and the entire pyramid is supported only by the lever), then yes - the empty spaces would fill in. Each pillar of rock involved in a cave in falls straight down until it hits a solid tile of rock wall, filling up any empty spaces in between.

Thanks DS :). This means that some intervening cavern wild life is going to get squished! I think there's a colony of bat people down there...

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:45 am »

Thanks DS :). This means that some intervening cavern wild life is going to get squished! I think there's a colony of bat people down there...

A negligible sacrifice. Unless you're interested in fostering a colony of bat people. They're the animal people your fort deserves, but not the ones it needs right now. I recommend tiger people.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:42 am »

A negligible sacrifice. Unless you're interested in fostering a colony of bat people. They're the animal people your fort deserves, but not the ones it needs right now. I recommend tiger people.

Vote 1, Tigerman mayor! No mandates, no worries.