Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night  (Read 15264 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »

Is there a thread to celebrate being sig'd?  This is my first too.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »

Man, I don't even want to think about trying to explain DF to my mom. She has a hard enough time wrapping her head around the idea that I might want to read a book that's even mildly scary, let alone watch a movie, and she thinks fantasy and sci-fi make no sense because they're not the real world and she doesn't believe in magic. And she's still looking for the "any key" on her computer.

Needless to say, if I got started on making biscuits out of the surplus cat population, she'd probably flip out and figure I had gotten into Satan worship or something!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 11:55:18 pm »

Nah, that's when you you use a mod to turn tallow into candles and become able to make leather books :) ok ok movie references aside, I haven't had much luck either. Though the last friend I'd expect to show the least bit of interest has completely survived the learning curve without me being aware that he picked it up so I did have awesomesauce with that.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 06:49:49 pm »

Every time Dwarf Fortress gets brought up between my wife and I, she asks if I'm butchering puppies again!  :P
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »

Edit: wrong thread.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »

Every time Dwarf Fortress gets brought up between my wife and I, she asks if I'm butchering puppies again!  :P

To which, the proper response ought to be, "Of course not.  The ones I don't train to be ravenous killing machines give better meat when full grown."
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 10:35:00 pm »

I explained the game to my brother once. While he never really got into the game, he does enjoy hearing about forgotten beasts that make the dwarves spontaneously liquefy and stuff like that.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:13 am »

Explaining DF to my friends is totally pointless. The only games they like are linear roller coaster types. They need the game to tell them which direction to go, which enemies to shoot, what weapon to use, when to use said weapon. I have dumb friends.... It sucks, because many games are more fun with a human opponent, like Civilization, Europa Universalis, Endless Space, and others like Minecraft and Terraria are more fun with friends that play like you do. Alas, I'm stuck playing solo until my friends evolve brains.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:40 am »

It's been said elsewhere before, but I'll say it again. You don't need friends anymore. You have Dwarf Fortress.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 11:51:32 am »

Explained it to my mother once. Included explanations of what is usually done to nobles, children, how infants are used, the fact children (and civvy dwarves) don't mix with danger rooms, what a danger room is, what is done to elves, what forgotten beasts are, and adamantine. She stared for a minute, and then said that it's weird.

She's the weird one. Right? RIGHT?! :(
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »

I was having a conversation with a group of friends about various video-game related things, and I brought up how efficient cat farming can be and the downsides of the potential of them adopting dwarves and so being off-limits for butchering.
Apparently one of them got really upset because she likes fluffy animals. Even fictional ones who exist in only a handful of characteristics. She thought that the idea of butchering cats for meat and bones was okay, but got upset at the idea of population control via kitten killing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »

I was having a conversation with a group of friends about various video-game related things, and I brought up how efficient cat farming can be and the downsides of the potential of them adopting dwarves and so being off-limits for butchering.
Apparently one of them got really upset because she likes fluffy animals. Even fictional ones who exist in only a handful of characteristics. She thought that the idea of butchering cats for meat and bones was okay, but got upset at the idea of population control via kitten killing.

The silly/weird/sad thing is, before neutering cats became commonplace(ish?), killing kittens in all sorts of inhumane ways *was* a common way of controlling cat populations in the real world. Which is why neutering is so heavily recommended, unless you really want to make kittens from a purebreed cat or something.

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »

I don't butcher cats at all. ...I have standards. Most of my forts fall before the kitten-boom can have any meaningful impact on FPS, so I keep them around. I like not having vermin.

Dwarf Fortress recently got mentioned on that news show on Penny Arcade TV, Checkpoint, giving me some impetus to finally talk about the game with real-world friends who'd watched that edition of the show but scratched their heads at the mention of this weird indie dwarf game and were like "whuts that?"

But I'm having the hardest time getting them to play it. They like hearing me talk about the audacious stuff that tends to go on in DF, but the learning curve is getting the best of them. I might have to resort to letting them watch me play using Skype's share screen feature.
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »

my parents often walk in on me playing dwarf fortress.

they don't get the meaning behind the ASCII

it's hard to get into the game unless you have a real passion for the game. I don't think that's something you can effectively create with friends (mild interest is more likely)
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 08:47:42 pm »

I don't butcher cats at all. ...I have standards. Most of my forts fall before the kitten-boom can have any meaningful impact on FPS, so I keep them around. I like not having vermin.

Dwarf Fortress recently got mentioned on that news show on Penny Arcade TV, Checkpoint, giving me some impetus to finally talk about the game with real-world friends who'd watched that edition of the show but scratched their heads at the mention of this weird indie dwarf game and were like "whuts that?"

But I'm having the hardest time getting them to play it. They like hearing me talk about the audacious stuff that tends to go on in DF, but the learning curve is getting the best of them. I might have to resort to letting them watch me play using Skype's share screen feature.
I made my cats really useful by modding in a reaction to turn vermin remains into fertilizer. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5