Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night  (Read 15137 times)

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:26 am »

When I see the message "Solon McPregnant has given birth to kittens", I know it's time to immediately butcher all of the female newborns. It's the only sure way to avoid a catsplosion.

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »

My wife saw me playing DF once. She said it looked like my computer was crashing, because my entire screen was filled with meaningless information, and asked me how I could play something with such bad graphics.

Of course, she says that about all video games... ;)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:00 pm »

My mother asked me how I was and I told her that a titanic one-eyed ass attacked my dwarves. Her face kind of froze in place.

I told her I play this game called Dwarf Fortress and briefly described it. Then I told her about the titan attack. That I worried it would overrun the fortress and kill all my dwarves, ruin a long game (100+ years), how people in the forums reacted, even wishing me luck, and the battle itself with only one dog lost and a near solid line of crossbow bolts flying across the screen.

I asked her, "Your wondering which of the babysitters dropped me on my head aren't you?". "No I'm not." she said, "It was me. I thought it would help."

I love my mother. :)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:17 pm »

My family does not care at all about what I play. All games are "the enemy". They say it's not adult to play videogames, so i'm treated like an autistic kid.

Regarding DF, one time my brother saw me playing, pointed to an unexcavated part of the mountain and asked if it was space ( "I can see stars"). The explanation kinda flew over his head, so he just dropped the subject.

Darulio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »

Regarding DF, one time my brother saw me playing, pointed to an unexcavated part of the mountain and asked if it was space ( "I can see stars"). The explanation kinda flew over his head, so he just dropped the subject.

My brother said the same thing, except he's eighteen and engaged, and a moron : P

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2013, 06:34:09 am »

Gotta love how some people are apparently still stuck in the 50's.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2013, 07:15:45 am »

My description horrified a friend of mine. Absolutely horrified him.

But he has the game now, so it is obviously Armok's will that I act as his messenger. He has been chosen for greatness.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2013, 07:21:40 am »

Because I suck at presentation, I usually just point people in the general direction of such epics as Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf and the Battlefailed saga.

They usually never speak to me again.

JacobEdwards

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »

Heh my mum asked what was happening in my game cause she didn't know what it was, and at that point i was in adventurer mode strangling 4 wolves at once under my arms, and then throwing their still-warm corpses at ducks flying overhead, just to train my throwing skill in a more interesting way
If you ever met Toady in real life he would glow brightly every few seconds due to his legendary programming skills.

Xcano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:27 pm »

I typically just say that it's about making dwarves do random stuff typically ending up in their deaths.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:18 am »

I typically just say that it's about making dwarves do overly complicated stuff always ending up in their deaths.

Fixed that one for you :)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

My family does not care at all about what I play. All games are "the enemy". They say it's not adult to play videogames, so i'm treated like an autistic kid.
May I note that we autistic kids don't like to be treated like that, either. If they see in you the dedication, wonder, and ability to be fascinated with tiny details that they might see in somebody with autism, I think you should take it as a compliment.

They're just looking down on you because they don't have much imagination. People without imagination usually think that everybody ought to be like them, or else there's something wrong with them. No appreciation for diversity. Or kitten-tallow biscuits.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:34 am »

Never tried to explain ... but when my boyfriend realized I was playing DF, he said : "Oh my god. Oh my. I'm so sorry, I tried the best I could for you not to discover this game." He was right, I have no life since then and it's seriously endangering my work, too. I have no willpower. But I do have  kitten-tallow biscuits now.

We watch our (very long) list of games on Steam, laugh and go back to DF for me, and 'Papers please' for him :p (I do like the "imagination graphics card", it applies perfectly)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:09:29 am by aiseant »
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:58 am »

Don't really have to answer to my "parents" since I've been living on my own for the last 16 years of my life.

If I ever did mention DF, it would be left at "an insane version of Dungeon Keeper 2" .
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Xcano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

I typically just say that it's about making dwarves do overly complicated stuff always ending up in their deaths.

Fixed that one for you :)
Thanks for that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]