Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night  (Read 15139 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:59 am »

They think I'm insane now. I probably shouldn't of mentioned:

• what happens when a baby is brought into a spear room (or at least tried harder not to laugh)
  • Considering losing most of my fort to capture a dragon "worth it"
  • Syndrome effects, such as an interesting case of causing every part of my soldier dwarfs body to become bloated with blood and turn necrotic while he wandered around filling the place with miasma
  • butchering cats
  • What happens in a tantrum spiral
  • How....detailed the combat and injury system is
  • child labor
  • sacrificing dwarves to invade hell so I could colonise it and make "dine in hell" jokes

Mum in particular wasn't happy until I told her the necrotic dwarf got operated on in the hospital. Since she's a nurse she was actually rather interested in a detailed explanation of how you deal with syndromes and poisoned blood etc in DF and the healthcare system.

Anyone else got similar stories?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: So I explained Dwarf Fortress to my family last night
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:32 am »

I tend to explain it as "SimMoria" to casual types who wouldn't be interested in the details, and in greater depth to those who might have some respect for the technicalities.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:02:03 am »

I've given my mom the basics and she seems totally fine with it but I've never really gone in depth.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:02:34 am »

Just as I was starting to get used to my wife simply rolling her eyes whenever I explained a funny moment in DF, she got used to the game being... well, DF, and stopped rolling her eyes. Now she just goes back to reading her book.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:00:07 am »

Now I understand how Galileo must have felt when he tried to state his discoveries, while everyone rolled their eyes and just said "Yeah of course Galileo, go home, you're drunk."
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:02:53 am »

Now I understand how Galileo must have felt when he tried to state his discoveries, while everyone rolled their eyes and just said "Yeah of course Galileo, go home, you're drunk."
It was more like "HERETIC!HERETIC!HERETIC!HERETIC!"
With stuff spinning at him only they weren't fluffy objects.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:15:09 am »

It was more like "HERETIC!HERETIC!HERETIC!HERETIC!"
With stuff spinning at him only they weren't fluffy objects.

It's not far off tbh. Half the time mum just sat there looking horrified.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:10 am »

My mom could never get into DF, but she does like hearing about what is happening in my fort, and she sometimes gives me ideas too. :D
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:56 am »

Your mum gives you ideas about your fort? I'm dieing to know how these suggestions look like, i just can't picture a mum seeing how a dwarf is dropped into a spear room and ripped asunder and her just going "hmmm, maybe you should make a window and weaponize it so the body parts fly directly into the invaders faces, and maybe build a switch so you can change direction in which you want to fire. But don't forget about your homework alright?""

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:45:32 am »

"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:23:24 am »

Ah, my first signature for this forum :)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 04:25:30 am »

I'd tell my family about what I do in dwarf fortress, but then they'd have to bring me in for an inquisition with the church to exorcise the demons. Sounds like fun to me.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:39 am »

I'd tell my family about what I do in dwarf fortress, but then they'd have to bring me in for an inquisition with the church to exorcise the demons. Sounds like fun to me.
They'd look at you like you're completely nuts, trust me. No one understands that for great dwarven science, sacrifices must be made! ahahahahaha!

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:31 am »

Once you play dwarf fortress for long enough, the laughter that you get when a dwarf standing on a bridge upon raising getting catapulted into the air and landing so hard, his entire body gets dismembered, is the warmest and fuzziest feeling of them all.

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:58 am »

Ah, my first signature for this forum :)

Ah, my first signature quote for this forum :D
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5