Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moss  (Read 2634 times)

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
Moss
« on: June 21, 2013, 03:21:33 am »

I was recently looking at the wiki page on moss, and I was struck by just how uninformative and neglected it is.

"Moss is a special covering that appears on smooth stone outdoors. It is found primarily in shrines inhabited by bronze colossuses and titans. It is also sometimes found in the object testing arena."

Now, looking at the 40d page, it actually seems more informative (although this one is also inaccurate).

Now, here are a couple of things I'd like to point out:

1.Moss can grow in old abandoned fortresses. I do not know how long it takes for moss to be able to grow, but the 40d Easter eggs page states that this takes ~50 years. This time requirement probably also applies to shrines. I also do not know whether moss will grow during actual play, or if reclaiming the fortress will affect moss growth. It is also interesting that I have never observed moss in old towns/human fortresses. More research is required here.

2.Moss appears to grow on any sort of constructed floor outside, and not just "smooth stone". Besides noting moss growing on smoothed natural rock floors, such as granite in shrines, I have observed moss growing on adamantine floors, coal floors, rough gabbro block floors, rough rhyolite  block flocks and rough obsidian block floors in abandoned dwarven fortresses. I have never observed moss covering constructed/smoothed walls. However, moss does grow on the tops of walls (ie. the floor automatically created above a constructed wall).

3.Building furniture over mossy floors removes the moss. Building constructions on top of walls (see above) will also remove the moss. Deconstructing a mossy floor will give back the normal building materials.

4.Mossy floors are not affected by lava. Using dfhack, I covered a mossy floor with 7/7 lava, waiting a couple of minutes, and concluded that, since constructions are currently invulnerable to any sort of damage, the moss covering them, which seems to be part of the construction, is also invulnerable.

5.Grazing animals do not eat moss. Tested by pasturing a horse on a mossy floor until it got hungry.

6.I do not know if the growth of moss is restricted to certain climates/biomes or not. The samples I had were:
i.Hot Tropical Shrubland
ii.Hot Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest
iii.Scorching Tropical Shrubland

The similarity between them is interesting, however it is due to the fact that the oldest fortresses were built in the same part of the world, so I only could observe them. Therefore, this information is neglible until other ~50 year old fortresses in different biomes/climates are observed.

I obtained most of this information by observing fortresses found in The Museum: Adventurer mode succession world, as it contains several player-built abandoned fortresses, a (growing) number of which are over 50 years old. I suggest that further testing be done using this save, or on a specialized world-perhaps (which would probably be a better idea).

Feel free to add this information to the wiki. (I'd do it myself, but I'm not exactly good at editing wiki pages)
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:08 pm »

Will do.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide