Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: General Computer Building Advice Thread  (Read 6272 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
General Computer Building Advice Thread
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:28:02 pm »

Seeing as my question has been answered and there are often quite a few threads about building PCs/asking for general computer advice, I've turned this thread into a general computer-building advice thread. Post here to ask any questions about building PCs that you'd like answered.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:15:10 am by Owlbread »

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning on building a computer to last, how does this look?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:39:49 am »

Without knowing too much about gaming pcs i would think that RAM sounds a bit low, 16GB.

I don't game really but I exceed 16GB quite often doing other stupid stuff.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:10 am »

Without knowing too much about gaming pcs i would think that RAM sounds a bit low, 16GB.

I've never exceeded 8GB running a hefty music synthesizer, Flash and Photoshop at the same time. How do you do it  ???

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »

How much watts is your PSU? What are you planning to use the SSD for?

Come down on the RAM to about 8GB, and maybe get a Intel Core i5 4670K. You can overclock it about 4.4GHz if you need too but invest in a good cooling system if you are going to do that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »

Wattage on the PSU is a big one. When upgrading, jumping up several generations of video card can render your PSU inadequate if you only bought one with enough power for your older build. It's always good to budget for more power than you currently need. 750w would mean you'd never need another PSU unless you started getting redonkulous with your hardware. SSDs also draw a lot less power than a standard HDD, so that's something to consider as well for what wattage you ultimately end up at. Also make sure whatever PSU you buy has the right amount of connectors, more available than you need never hurts. Also pay attention to the # of 12-volt rails the PSU has. 2 is pretty standard, 3 or more is great, 1 is unacceptable. You ideally want the CPU and the GPU on different rails (I honestly forget what runs on what rails anymore.) Might be less of an issue than the last time I bought a PSU.

16 gig ram can't hurt. If you've got money to burn, might as well. If not, go down to 8.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:54:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:22:25 pm »

Yeah, saving money here isn't really on my mind. If creating a monolith means spending extra cash then that's absolutely fine by me. But as nenjin has said, the wattage of the PSU is 750W. I was going to run my OS and all my essentials off the SSD (you know, boot from it etc) while I'd split the 4TB drive into 4 partitions for specific purposes. That sounds like decadence but believe me it's necessary.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:25:22 pm by Owlbread »

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 06:31:50 pm »

I've never exceeded 8GB running a hefty music synthesizer, Flash and Photoshop at the same time. How do you do it  ???
modelling physical phenomena during my studies mostly... I have 32 gb here, and i can fill that too without trouble. But i am also a bad programmer. Oh, and i keep temporary files in memory instead of on the disk when in normal use, to not burden the SSD all the time with that stuff.

Reading what others say, it seems like it is not required with games though. Best not waste money then.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »

If you don't mind spending money then, why don't you get a GTX Titan?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:42:00 pm by jaass »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:48 pm »

What the hell kind of stuff are you doing normally that exceeds 16 GB of RAM? The average person isn't going to need more than eight, and even THAT is pushing it if you don't do any kind of video/photo editing.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »

modelling physical phenomena

^ That is pretty demanding on a system. He may also be building his own simulation software.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:05 pm »

modelling physical phenomena

^ That is pretty demanding on a system. He may also be building his own simulation software.
Oh, that makes sense. As I said, average person isn't going to need more than 4 GB of RAM if they intend to play video games. You can maybe get 8 GB for the hell of it, but there won't be any major differences if you solely intend to play video games.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 08:14:20 pm »

What the hell kind of stuff are you doing normally that exceeds 16 GB of RAM? The average person isn't going to need more than eight, and even THAT is pushing it if you don't do any kind of video/photo editing.
In fact, 640 kb of RAM should be enough for anybody
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 09:36:02 pm »

If you don't mind spending money then, why don't you get a GTX Titan?

I looked at the Titan quite deeply but it seems to be far less reliable than the 780 (seemingly the second best they had), which still provides a Titan-like experience. I was worried that if I got the Titan it wouldn't last, and although money isn't really an issue I'd like my purchase to be worthwhile, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:44:06 pm by Owlbread »

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

Specs look good enough, tho case looks a bit ricer imo and will probably be a bit noisy with all the vents and fans.

If you are not going to overclock the ass out of it why not get a silent/reduced sound case?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »

For a silent build i could recommend dropping water cooling (before you ask you are using a non-conductive fluid). The ram is extremely nice for gaming, im bottoming out on 8Gb due to massive textures (darn AAA games :P)
Pages: [1] 2