Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: im trying to create an ASCII game but i dont know how to do it  (Read 2549 times)

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
im trying to create an ASCII game but i dont know how to do it
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:18:44 am »

I've been trying to create an ASCII game but i dont know how, Do i need Python?
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:01:25 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: im trying to create an ASCII game but i dont know how to do it
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:54 pm »

YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »

thank you is it ok if you could link me to a safe download for Python
Available from the Microsoft store apparently: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/python/beginners

If you're talking GNU/Linux, then use the package manager of what ever distro you ended up using.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 11:19:19 am »

You can download python from the official python website. https://www.python.org/downloads/

You can use the curses library to write text-display programs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »

I have like ten different installs of python detected by Visual Studio. I think, (I don't know this) that you need to find examples/documentation of the right version to work with whatever version you download.

Just get the one through the Windows store, and bear in mind that tons of sample code out there is probably outdated.

Also don't install a new version just because your code doesn't compile, as fun as it seems, it will make visual studio slower to start.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 11:27:39 pm »

Python code is pretty stable between versions. The main thing you should check is the difference between Python 2 and Python 3.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.