Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: General Computer Building Advice Thread  (Read 6248 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning on building a computer to last, how does this look?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »

Specs look good enough, tho case looks a bit ricer imo and will probably be a bit noisy with all the vents and fans.

If you are not going to overclock the ass out of it why not get a silent/reduced sound case?

I thought that I'd go for a large, fairly open case like that so that I might be able to avoid stuff like water cooling and large fans, but that might be wise just for the sake of noise, as Tellemurius described.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:02 pm »

That would be a good case to get if you need ultra mega cooling...but then you'd probably just buy water cooled anyways. I personally hate fans in the side of the case, just one more thing you gotta disconnect when opening your tower up. I may get a noise dampening case one day, because the quieter and better systems I build, the more noticeable the noise is :P

Also, have you considered buying two lower end cards instead of one 780? Your board comes with an SLI bridge and the expansion slots are right. While people generally do it because they can make one good card out of two budget cards....you get two good cards and make one monster card.

Balls out, and all that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:53:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »

That would be a good case to get if you need ultra mega cooling...but then you'd probably just buy water cooled anyways. I personally had fans in the side of the case, just one more thing you gotta disconnect when opening your tower up. I may get a noise dampening case one day, because the quieter and better systems I build, the more noticeable the noise is :P

Also, have you considered buying two lower end cards instead of one 780? Your board comes with an SLI bridge and the expansion slots are right. While people generally do it because they can make one good card out of two budget cards....you get two good cards and make one monster card.

Balls out, and all that.
SLI and Crossfire are known to crap out though and really you aren't going to see the need for multicards unless you are running crapton of monitors

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »

Yeah, again, I'd rather spend more money on a more stable machine than try to save money like that and possibly crap things out a year or two down the line. I'd rather aspire to own a second 780 if I get the money in the next few years (or whatever comes along), but I won't base my main setup around it.

I was expecting a lot of heat from the specs, but maybe I'm just trying to stay prepared for the future. There's a lot of dust and heat in the room that it'll be in so a nice spatious case seemed like a good idea. The other attraction from the case was the fact that it doesn't really require many tools to open it up and work on it. Please keep giving suggestions though, I'm thinking a fair bit about cooling and noise levels now. I use headphones most of the time so they may help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:07:06 pm by Owlbread »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 05:59:47 pm »

This seems to be the thread to post it in, I also want to build a computer to last. So far, my prospective specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 8GB Sticks)
Storage:
Seagate 240GB SSD
Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 600W
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 06:07:50 pm »

I'm going to buy most of the parts pretty soon I think so you are very welcome to post that here, my good man.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »

SSD's aren't bad for games, but they aren't the best investment if that's all you want them for. Your boot and load times will be phenomenally fast, though. Say goodbye to waiting for long loading screens when the game's on the SSD. I hate waiting around because it causes introspection, which is detrimental to true gaming.

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I have a 560 Ti, and it's been going strong for a couple years now... But I have to say, despite upgrading every other component in my system, it's the one thing I'd like to upgrade now that newer games are coming out. I can run games with pretty good settings with a good FPS, but it's nothing amazing. With the new console generation out soon that may be changing so it may be worth looking into a higher quality chip if you're looking for something that'll really last. It'll cost you an extra $100 - 200, but even something in the 600 series will give you some good mileage.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 07:15:36 pm »

Thing is, Knight, that's one of two parts I already own, along with the power supply. I intend to take them from this computer that I own in all but name and use them for the rig I will be building. Besides, it was cheap enough and is more than powerful enough for what I use it for (I don't play too many newer games, I think the newest one I play is Crusader Kings II, though that will change when Europa Unviersalis IV comes out), so I should be good for a while.

And I added the SSD as a bell-and-whistle in case by budget allows for bells and whistles, mostly for my OS and one or two games.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:18:55 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »

Oh, you'll be more than happy with the 560 Ti, then.

And for big games like CK2 and EU4, an SSD is amazing. I used to get up and make myself lunch while it loaded on my HDD, now I don't even have time to get myself a water. It's one of the areas SSDs really shine.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 08:49:05 pm »

I love space engine.
Make sure you get a really good power supply unit those tend to die first
Man I was pissed when my good computer died at 6 mo. because of the specific powerp supply being malfunctional for the lack of a better word.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 07:28:50 am »

You know, Owlbread, you could turn this into the general computer-building & advice thread.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 09:11:49 am »

You know, Owlbread, you could turn this into the general computer-building & advice thread.

I think I shall do that, that is a good idea.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: General Computer Building Advice Thread
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:32 pm »

My Ipad’d default weather shows the weather in Cupertino California, I live in Iowa, how do I make it show weather for the correct city?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 01:39:52 am »

Slightly wrong thread there, Naturegirl.  :)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 02:08:03 am »

Slightly wrong thread there, Naturegirl.  :)
well, the problem was fixed in the correct thread. Sorry for the mixup
Pages: 1 [2]