Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with Quantum Stockpiles and Max Bin  (Read 4487 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Problem with Quantum Stockpiles and Max Bin
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:14:18 am »

Apparently, dwarf's will move bins out of a 1x1 quantum stockpile... very annoying.  They'll put it right back into the feeder stockpile, and then send it back to the quantum, FOREVER!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Quantum Stockpiles and Max Bin
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:16 am »

Don't allocate bins? :D

There're same problem with barrels, which makes it annoying with booze and syrup stuffs. Dwarves see that there're stockpile with bin or barrel allocated, and grab the nearest one they can find to put there. I've not had any luck in using linked stockpile and setting it to take from link only.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 05:22:15 am »

bins are nice though, they hold a ton of shit.  I figured if I had a near depot stockpile take from the stockpile that's giving me issues...  maybe I can disable bins on the quantum and feeder... allow bins to exist on near depot stockpile that takes from the quantum...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

do you actually have a minecart auto-dumping barrels and bins full of stuff on a quantum stockpile? what's your set-up? I was trying this with no luck...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:06:08 am »

do you actually have a minecart auto-dumping barrels and bins full of stuff on a quantum stockpile? what's your set-up? I was trying this with no luck...

I've done it often enough, nothing really special to it except for allowing the stockpile being taken from allowing barrels or bins. The problem's dwarves tend to take from the quantum pile to put it back on regular stockpile because of bin or barrel setting, so I don't use bins and leave barrels in workshops that used them.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:30 am »

U know... ima do a youtube video for u. But not now. Still in bed.  Thinking about those troglodytes that raped me last night in mwmod... damn u macelords... damn u.  Ganged up on me real bad. Thank god for seasonal saves.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »

Yeah. If you've got a properly set up quantum stockpile, you don't need bins, because the problem is already being solved by the quantum pile. Furthermore, bins introduce additional problems: dwarves are absolutely anal about storing everything in bins if they can, and then they'll carry the bin around everywhere with them so that the other items within are unavailable for jobs. I'm also fairly certain there's some additional problem with bins in cloth/thread stockpiles that causes them to ignore settings. And as mentioned, allowing any bins or barrels in quantum piles causes them to endlessly drag the container back and forth between the feeder pile and the quantum pile. Just don't use bins, anywhere, and make sure to go into the pile's settings to turn off bins and barrels. You won't be able to store alcohol in the pile, but if you just don't ever have any stockpile for booze, they'll stay "inside" the still and get quantum piled. If you get clutter, just stop using that still until it's empty.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »

Yeah. If you've got a properly set up quantum stockpile, you don't need bins, because the problem is already being solved by the quantum pile. Furthermore, bins introduce additional problems: dwarves are absolutely anal about storing everything in bins if they can, and then they'll carry the bin around everywhere with them so that the other items within are unavailable for jobs. I'm also fairly certain there's some additional problem with bins in cloth/thread stockpiles that causes them to ignore settings. And as mentioned, allowing any bins or barrels in quantum piles causes them to endlessly drag the container back and forth between the feeder pile and the quantum pile. Just don't use bins, anywhere, and make sure to go into the pile's settings to turn off bins and barrels. You won't be able to store alcohol in the pile, but if you just don't ever have any stockpile for booze, they'll stay "inside" the still and get quantum piled. If you get clutter, just stop using that still until it's empty.

The cloth stockpile problem apparently isn't related to bin, but rather to allowing metal threads or cloth in the stockpile makes them assume that everything is allowed, bins just make it much more noticible.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5739

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 04:45:13 pm »

Bins r useful as when a bin is hauled to the depot. It hauls about 20 items w it.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:50:17 pm »

I've done it often enough, nothing really special to it except for allowing the stockpile being taken from allowing barrels or bins. The problem's dwarves tend to take from the quantum pile to put it back on regular stockpile because of bin or barrel setting, so I don't use bins and leave barrels in workshops that used them.
I have a feeder drinks stockpile with barrels allowed, I have a loading stop linked to said stockpile and set up to get drinks, but my dwarves load other items from other feeder stockpiles while ignoring the booze, I also haven't been able to have them load a minecart from a feeder furniture stockpile into the minecart on the track stop.

I don't really have the infinite loop problem since my receiving quantum stockpile is physically disconnected of my feeder by means of a minecart air-lock.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »

Yeah. If you've got a properly set up quantum stockpile, you don't need bins, because the problem is already being solved by the quantum pile.
Bins are great at reducing object count in some manner and hereby improving FPS when your stocks are astimated at hundred thousands.
Finis sanctificat media.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 08:20:37 am »

I think I have a decent solution for quantum stockpiles + bins.

The solution focus on some stockpiles accepting bins, and some not

here's an ascii representation

Code: [Select]
  #   <--- Quantum stockpile Feeds a stockpile that is relatively close.
  S   <--- Track Stop, dumps on North
##### <--- Feeder stockpile (no bins)
#####

Close Bin stockpile

##### <---- Stockpile that pulls from Quantum stockpile, accepts bins.
#####
#####

Trade Depot Stockpile
##### <---- Stokcpile that pulls from 2nd listed stockpile, accepts bins.
#####
#####
#####

This way the eternal bin moving doesn't occur, prevents dwarf's from hauling one item at a time to the Trade Depot as well!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:23:35 pm by thistleknot »

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:59 pm »

I think I have a decent solution for quantum stockpiles + bins.

The solution focus on some stockpiles accepting bins, and some not

here's an ascii representation

Code: [Select]
  #   <--- Quantum stockpile Feeds a stockpile that is relatively close.
  S   <--- Track Stop, dumps on North
##### <--- Feeder stockpile (no bins)
#####

Close Bin stockpile

##### <---- Stockpile that pulls from Quantum stockpile, accepts bins.
#####
#####

Trade Depot Stockpile
##### <---- Stokcpile that pulls from 2nd listed stockpile, accepts bins.
#####
#####
#####

This way the eternal bin moving doesn't occur, prevents dwarf's from hauling one item at a time to the Trade Depot as well!

If you're going to do that, why not just have a plain stockpile?  With... bins?
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »

because you have an infinite buffer (and one never needs to expand the stockpile)

the bins at the end result in moving large quantities of material from one stockpile to another, and they allow for the trader depot (if used) to efficiently receive materials.

but primarily... this stockpile method without limiting bins on the first stockpile result in a dwarf moving a bin to the new stockpile, and then moving it back... which is what the subject of the thread was about
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:34:38 am by thistleknot »