Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pandora: First Contact - Modern Alpha Centauri  (Read 12453 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Pandora: First Contact - Modern Alpha Centauri
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »

I'm a big fan of city building TBS games, and have been since I was a little kid.  Sadly, it is something that has been shelved by the mainstream game companies and publishers due to its often complex interpretations and non-casual-gaming appeal.  Well, I'm now glad to say, I have a game I'm totally drooling over.

Pandora: First Contact draws a lot of inspiration from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, including the ability to customize units in the 'Workshop' screen, a massive tech tree (over 120 of them), six different factions, loads of hostile alien flora and fauna, and even the mystery of an extinct alien race to unravel.  Procedurally generated maps and a whole load of options.  To me, it looks like the best Christmas present I never got as a kid.   8)

The games estimated date of release is only in a couple of months (September/Fall 2013), and the small German company that's been working on it a while recently showed it off at Historicon, and even gave us the first real look into it with nice youtube videos. 

This next bit is a fairly large page quote from the Matrix Games Forum.  It has more information and youtube video links in it. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope you guys get as excited about it as I am. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pandora: First Contact - Modern Alpha Centauri
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:26 pm »

Got a link? Although on another note, I really hope they don't publish it on Matrix Games.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:50:30 pm »

Sadly, no.  There isn't a real website link.  There's actually more information available on Matrix Games than on the game developers website. 

But why don't you like Matrix Games, Felius? I got all the Distant Worlds games/expansions from there without any issues at all, besides the bloody pricing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »

the bloody pricing.

and not being available on steam
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »

It took me years to get onto Steam, and even now I still don't use it very often.  But perhaps.  I honestly have no idea if it'll become available on Steam or not.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:35:22 pm »

Sadly, no.  There isn't a real website link.  There's actually more information available on Matrix Games than on the game developers website. 

But why don't you like Matrix Games, Felius? I got all the Distant Worlds games/expansions from there without any issues at all, besides the bloody pricing.
You got it in one. The bloody pricing. It's hard for me to justify dropping the money Matrix Games like to ask for the games in their portfolio. That, and it's yet another distribution platform to keep track of.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »

EEEEEE SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY O.O
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »

It's so niche that people actually throw them money to make it more niche. 8)

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:56:15 am »

For those interested this is out now.
Haven't gotten too far into a game, yet, but so far I have no major complaints and am enjoying it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:04:15 am »

Looks exactly like a more complex sci-fi Warlock: Master of the Arcane. Might be using the same engine? Either way, Warlock was pretty OK. Extra complexity could be interesting!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 11:31:52 am »

Link for the lazy:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/435/details/Pandora:.First.Contact

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. I really hope it lives up to its claim of being a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »

Hmm. Missed hearing about this before, but sounds kind of promising.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »

Now the real trick is getting folks to review it amidst the perfect storm of PS4/Xbone/tentpole-PC releases.  Spacesector has some first impressions up, but I doubt we'll see any proper full reviews until New Year's or later.

Re: Matrix pricing....  On this title, it seems reasonable for now.  30 bucks for a new release ain't bad.  I guess it will seem less reasonable when it is still 30 bucks a few years down the road.  In this age of crazy-pants-cheap sales on many of the major digital storefronts, they draw a lot of fire for sticking to their guns on price...  but if their data keeps saying that only so many copies are gonna sell, a crazy-pants sale may amount to declaring bankruptcy.  They have to take the long view, and I have to respect that (so few companies do that anymore), even if I don't like the pricing policies it spawns.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:40:13 am »

It is really tempting to get this game and I probably would if it was up on Steam. But signing up for a new service and paying 30 dollars for a game without reviews is too risky. Hopefully one of you guys will give a good review soon.

Iain McNeil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:54 am »

Hi guys

I'm not sure what the issue is with buying from our store. There is a lot of negativity based on hearsay without actually knowing the facts :) We do not require registration. We accept pretty much all payment systems out there including the obvious cards and PayPal. We ship world wide and have  service where you can upgrade to the boxed edition and still get the download immediately which nobody else can do. You even get your name and serial personalised on the disk. We accept payments in almost any currency. When you buy you get a download link and serials. There is no DRM. You can re-download as often as you want for ever. If you do decide to register when you buy the members club will allow you to re-download automatically. If you are not registered all you need to do is contact support and they'll reissue your download links. We are still issuing links to games bought over 10 years ago.

We have a range of 200 games and our customers really love our service. You can see more here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2134670

Games are priced individually on their situation and Pandora is only $29.99 which is a steal for such an enormous game.

Thanks for considering Pandora. It really is a great game and the developers are committed to making it even better with continued support and features/fixes.
Pages: [1] 2 3