Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Legendary Planes - crowdsourced 3D mapping  (Read 13611 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
The Legendary Planes - crowdsourced 3D mapping
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »

First thread for the idea

This is a finely crafted project to demonstrate the detail and realism of Dwarf Fortress to non-players. It menaces with spikes of high-resolution and is encircled with bands of 3rd party utilities. On the project is an image of crowdsourcing.

In more 'normal' terms, the thing about DF is that the interface is actually pretty terrible at exposing the awesome depth of the game. For example, world gen - the default map is a resolution of a 16x16 tile to represent a 768x768 area; and the default maps aren't much better with a 1 pixel = 48x48 tiles (each tile ingame is usually 16x16, odd graphics packs aside). Everything is also presented in 2D, which makes it difficult to realise just how 3D the DF world really is.

Fortunately, there are workarounds. The specific utility we're using for this is Isoworld, which renders the world maps in isometric 3D (thanks to an elevation map). It can also hook in through dfhack, and create a more detailed presentation at 1 tile=1 pixel resolution if you choose the 'Oversized' map display, and connect to DF while running. It then saves the local map fragments it creates - and these can be aggregated for an identical world.

This is the project.

The Legendary Planes save is provided, as are the detailed maps to work off. Use adventure mode to explore the world with Isoworld open, connected, following, and set to Oversized mode (it must fit all these criteria!). Once you feel that you've explored a significant amount, send me a link to the files (stored in \The Legendary Planes\data\save\region9\isoworld\) and I'll merge them into the main download - tell me what you want to be credited as, I'll default to a username - you might be best off striking out deep into the far wilderness so we don't explore the same places a thousand times.

Once the world is largely explored, the images will be stitched together to form the first ever full-resolution map of a DF world - in 3D! Back of envelope, it'll be ~340MP. Lets go!

Credits so far:
This is a massive project, and would be impossible without:

Co-ordinator:    PeridexisErrant
World-Generator: Tevish Szat
Isoworld creator:   Japa
DF Developer:    Toady One (Tarn Adams)

Map-making adventurers:
- PeridexisErrant (look, this is the first upload)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:34:25 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: The Legendary Planes - crowdsourced 3D mapping
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:03:55 am »

Basically, you want us to simply explore this map? Make an adventurer, pick a direction, and explore, essentially mapping it as we go?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

chewierulz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:00:22 am »

I'm in!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:02 am »

chaosgear - Yep!  Just make sure that Isoworld is properly set and running, and off you go! 
 Donations here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:19:15 am »

Post moved down.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:38:48 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:14 am »

Post moved down.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:38:00 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:19 am »

If you do a 16 x 16 embark with no stuff in your wagon (using "embark everywhere"), you can usually map out sections pretty quickly. (I say "usually" because sometimes MB caves will crash the game and need to be explored in adventure mode instead.)

Count me in.

As a service, people may want to post where they are intending to explore in here, before they do so.  That'll help others know what remains unexplored.  I'd suggest using a grid system with "1,1" being the upper left corner and proceeding outward from that in a Cartesian coordinate system.

Just downloaded the file - You didn't have a world pre-genned and saved?  That may cause different computers to produce slightly different initial parameters - it'll be interesting to see if that's true or not.

<Facepalm> Nevermind, found it.

I intend to map the northernmost row of 16 x 16 Terrains.  I'll post the data file when I'm finished.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:38:20 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:31 am »

@ Timeless Bob - if you're using the embark-everywhere method, do you want to get some of the hard-to-reach areas?  Places like an ice sheet are tough to explore by adventurers...

For the next version, I'll annotate the biome+elevation map and assign coordinates.  For this one, go wherever! Systematic exploration is probably good, but it can be blob, line, interesting feature... every tile helps!

@Timeless Bob again - there is a pregenned world, in data/save.  I'll clarify that!

Edit:  also look for the modify post button, and if there hasn't been a reply just add to the last post. 
 Donations here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:36:06 am »

Sorry, I'll rectify that now...

OK, posts all consolidated.

I'd be happy to do so, likewise for your larger water areas if you'd like.

What version/34.xx of DF did you use to generate this world? I only ask because Isoword doesn't seem to be rendering any files of the embark.  I'll test it in adventurer mode...
Neither Isoworld nor Isoworld 2.0 seem to like it.  While they'll stick the crosshairs in the proper place during fort mode, adventurer mode won't even detect that.

Maybe my computer is having difficulties: its an older laptop after all - I look forward to seeing that mega-pic.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:23:53 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:02:49 am »

Have you got the dfhack part of isoworld in place? That might be it. My updated LNP has it all set up if that's an issue. Otherwise you may just need to wait longer, or check that its connected and following properly.
 Donations here.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 12:01:57 pm »

Sorry, I'll rectify that now...

OK, posts all consolidated.

I'd be happy to do so, likewise for your larger water areas if you'd like.

What version/34.xx of DF did you use to generate this world? I only ask because Isoword doesn't seem to be rendering any files of the embark.  I'll test it in adventurer mode...
Neither Isoworld nor Isoworld 2.0 seem to like it.  While they'll stick the crosshairs in the proper place during fort mode, adventurer mode won't even detect that.

Maybe my computer is having difficulties: its an older laptop after all - I look forward to seeing that mega-pic.

World was genned in 34.11
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »

Nice project. :) I am really curious how the endresult will look. Hope you have some forts, towers, caves and tombs on the map.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »

For some strange reason, my computer just doesn't like 34.11. I regenned the world using the latest version, but the civs were in different places, so I set the world history to end at "year 2" instead, exported those detailed maps into a folder and compared them to the ones in your save.  The landscapes are exactly the same.  If I stick only to the areas not able to be mapped in adventure mode (like the seas and glaciers), you should be able to use that data with the stuff from your save file to make a complete map.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:02 am »

@Meph - if you're interested in the result, here's the Baleful Furnace - a volcano in the Legendary Planes.

Donations here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »

OK, here's the data pack for the entire northern set of 16x16 embarks.  I'll be working on the southern seas next.

I was thinking, since the file structure is rigidly by specific folders named with numbers for each subsection of the map.  Each time you include a new info dump, just overwrite/replace any copies of those folders with the ones from the new set and you should have a contiguous map when all sections have been accounted for.  Just erased all the data contained in the save posted above and mapped another section - the file names start from "0" again, even though I was mapping the ocean instead of the glacier.  Out of curiosity, how do you intend to stitch these files together? Are you tiling them as a series of screen captures or using some other method?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:49:40 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: [1] 2 3