Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After the short campaign is over (Be it Victory or Death) should we :

Move on, and apply some salve to the burned areas.
Start an even more painful, long campaign!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: "Get off my Tula!" - Clan Rockbottom of Dragon Pass  (Read 13081 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
"Get off my Tula!" - Clan Rockbottom of Dragon Pass
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:45 am »

You know what i love about strategy games? They allow you to find solutions to problems using tools of easily definable quality, with quickly understandable, stable chances of success. Sometimes it may swing a bit to one side or another, but your T-34 battalion will not get completely demolished by a rag-tag bunch of drunk, half-naked charioteers. Such stability is defining for many strategy games.

That is not the case with King of Dragons Pass, where your blessing-soaked, battle-hardened armies of spartanesque veterans, will be constantly wiped out by Duck-men Peasants. Right before all your herds get stolen, your gods abandon you, and your children grow fucking beards.

Welcome to King of Dragon Pass.

Expect me to follow your general advice on diplomacy, worship and warmongering, as the clan "Rockbottom" goes on through the years. Expect it to end in a disaster, which i shall try to dress in as many curse words and terrible jokes as possible.

The initial clan outlines are : Orlanth as the main god, with Uralda chosen any time I've had a chance. Our great foe are the blasted winter tribes. We dare not participating in slavery, and dragons tend to high-five us on the block.
It is a Peace clan, officially.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:43:20 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: "Get off my Tula!" - Clan Rockbottom of Dragon Pass
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:48 am »

Replace circle with tricksters.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:04 am »

Post to Watch. A trickster must be placed on the ring, just for fun.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:19 am »

I have one, but he is 3,5 thousand years old, and will soon pass from this world. His uselessness will be brief, is what i'm trying to say.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:00 am »

This game is quite arcane, how'd you figure out all the ins and outs?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:06:41 am »

The basics are that you directly are the seven people on the circle. You give orders, and decide what to do in certain situations - which is always random with its outcome, but many things influence the chances of success - and thusly indirectly lead the tribe (indirectly, due to the tribe being able to decline or fail, for various reasons)

Your Tribe is divided into farmers and others, amongst which are crafters, hunters, nobles, weaponthanes and children.
Children are absolutely worthless, but you do want to have some (for the future)
Nobles are the named characters, that have portraits, and basically your available "pool" of clan leader candidates. There are no controllable ways of getting them. Nobles lead missions, even if they are not a part of the circle. Nobles can often bring trouble in events, and sometimes even lead to schisms.
Nobles are the only people who have an actual god that they have chosen to worship. The pleb doesn't matter when it comes to worship. (just the numbers).
Hunters act as skirmishers during combat, as lookouts for patrolling purposes, and produce 2 food pieces per year (they consume 1 themselves). You can either focus on hunters (and thusly skirmish tactics in combat) or completely disband them. Depending on what you think is right.
Crafters cannot fight. They craft goods from available materials. They give you a meager "Goods" income, which you only can build up on, by focusing on trade.
Weaponthanes are your dedicated fighters, who patrol, guard and lead in combat.
Farmers do everything else. They tend the crops, cows, cut down forests, fight as soldiers (only males) are the manpower behind worship and everything that isn't mentioned above.
Farmers are divided into two "classes" but it's a very minor detail about the game, that hardly ever comes up.

Your resources are Animals : Cows being the most important one (the main resource, that can be used for almost everything)
Horses being a great trade good, and required for weaponthanes and nobles
Pigs / Sheep for some minor roles.
Goods (basically gold and trinkets. Can be sacrificed or traded. Used for temple upkeep)
People (Adult male farmers specifically)
Food (To keep those people alive)
and Magic (that can help you in every aspect of the game, although it's never a certain success)

The main objective is to perform a bunch of very difficult, costly and lengthy magical rituals, and through war and diplomacy, form a tribe out of a few neighboring clans.

The rituals are connected with the gods. Worshiping which can give you some benefits, like improved crop yield, healthier cows, your arrows being thunderous and other. Gods like sacrifices of magic, goods or cows (sometimes thralls). Sacrifices can give you the blessings for some time, while building a shrine can give you them for as long as the shrine exists.
Shrines cost an upkeep of goods, sheep and also a number of free worshippers. Thusly the permanent blessings are limited to what you can spare.
Each god is responsible for some part of the life in the Tula, and their having a worshiper of god X on the ring pleases him, increasing the chances of blessings.

The magical rituals (quests) require powerful worshipers to travel through the planes, and re-enact godly deeds of old tales (that you first have to discover) with help of the entire clan. It is always an extraordinary event, whether it succeeds, or kills half of your clan.

Finally there are your neighbors, Clans just as yours, with the same goals of greatness. There are many ways of interaction.

As the last mechanic, There's exploration. A tiny bit of adventure added on top, and a way to kick-start some (mostly-positive and lucrative) random events. It is dangerous to traverse the Dragons Pass, but so is everything else.

I hope it explains stuff!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:53 am »

Watching! I started playing this a little while ago, and have had a lot of fun despite how badly things can go.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:45 am »

Hunters act as skirmishers during combat, as lookouts for patrolling purposes, and produce 2 food pieces per year (they consume 1 themselves). You can either focus on hunters (and thusly skirmish tactics in combat) or completely disband them. Depending on what you think is right.
As per the manual, not only they provide food, spot invaders and improve skirmish, but also fight as part of the fyrd regardless of which tactics you use, improve exploration results, and provide a modest amount of goods. I always keep their numbers at maximum recommended, unless I'm really short on people for other tasks(hardly ever).

It's one of those old-school games that require studying the manual. Too many variables in play make it difficult to learn as you go, unless you don't mind being mystified/annoyed by the seemingly random results of your actions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:54:19 am by Il Palazzo »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52:03 am »

I suggest getting a shrine to the warrior goddess for the Fyrdwomen blessing. It allows your women to also join your warforce. I also recommend building a shrine to the earthquake goddess, for her blessing which causes blood spilled on your lands to feed your crops.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 12:56:24 pm »

As per the manual, not only they provide food, spot invaders and improve skirmish, but also fight as part of the fyrd regardless of which tactics you use, improve exploration results, and provide a modest amount of goods. I always keep their numbers at maximum recommended, unless I'm really short on people for other tasks(hardly ever).

The problem is, that having them requires wildlands, which cost you pastures and crop fields AND increases the risk of invaders striking undetected. Whether the bonus granted by Hunters is higher than the penalty from owning wildlands remains (and forever will) a secret.
Having no wilderness kills the pigs in the end, but also reduces the chances of being raided by so much, that it's a tough decision.
That's why i usually only go for Hunters when i can spare blessings for the ranged shrines of thunderarrow (not sure) and all the others.

It's one of those old-school games that require studying the manual. Too many variables in play make it difficult to learn as you go, unless you don't mind being mystified/annoyed by the seemingly random results of your actions.

Which is not to say that random rolls are not a huge factor in everything you do. Even the best preparations have a chance to fail, despite picking all the "Right" options. The manual only helps in obtaining the know-how on how to "roll less dice".

I suggest getting a shrine to the warrior goddess for the Fyrdwomen blessing. It allows your women to also join your warforce. I also recommend building a shrine to the earthquake goddess, for her blessing which causes blood spilled on your lands to feed your crops.

Hmm Hmm! I like Earthblood, but perhaps it is best to wait until we see just how many people hate us, or until we get Iron Spike. Is it agreeable? I'll try to get Fyrdwomen as soon as i start 1331, unless others recommend a different blessing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:06:18 pm by Stworca »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

If you plan to do a lot of heavy duty adventuring, you'll want to get the adventure god(dess?) blessing. Though with this game, if you plan to do a lot of anything you want to get the appropriate blessings. And this is a game more experienced than played. What I mean to say is that there are too many unkown variables and dice rolls to accurately predict much anything. It's still a lot of fun.

I vote we raid a neighbour in fire season. Cattle if we need it, just plain regular raid otherwise. Also keep a trickster in the circle. All the time. They give the best options.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:25 pm »

You know what i love about strategy games? They allow you to find solutions to problems using tools of easily definable quality, with quickly understandable, stable chances of success. Sometimes it may swing a bit to one side or another, but your T-34 battalion will not get completely demolished by a rag-tag bunch of drunk, half-naked charioteers. Such stability is defining for many strategy games.

That's wy I don't play strategy games anymore :P Best of luck nonetheless. If you are into the "RNG-will-fuck-your-shit-up-even-if-you-do-everything-right" difficulty then you should definitely try Alien Assault at one point in the future. A manual might or might not help.

The last thing... were Kaczyński brothers involved in creation of this game? :P

and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:16:29 am »

I vote we raid a neighbour in fire season. Cattle if we need it, just plain regular raid otherwise. Also keep a trickster in the circle. All the time. They give the best options.

Keep in mind that during Fire season the raids are also more likely to fail, don't forget that due to our ancestry, we can raid during Dark season with much lesser penalties!

If you are into the "RNG-will-fuck-your-shit-up-even-if-you-do-everything-right" difficulty then...

I really, truly am not. I just want to play one, and have it behind me :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:25:15 am by Stworca »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:37 am »

I'm so happy with dragon pass, but I hate it so much for the "conquest"? Hahaha, go die, even if you win.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »

Like it posted in the youtube comment sounds like you have werewolfs maybe.
On a side note can you ally with a beast tribe or do they always want to kill you.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8