Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 500932 times)

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2015, 03:55:45 am »

Thank you PeridexisErrant  :), that makes things a lot clearer. I was correct then, the override file is used no matter what.

So that let me 3 files to choose from (4 if you count the default one): both LeoCean 01 & 02 and the Phoebustracks version. Although they are slightly different I can't really comprehend the differences until I play a bit and compare the different versions :).

That new function of the PyLNP will be awesome for new players to hide under the hood the things that we don't need to know. With a game this big I guess is inevitable to assume certain knowledge from the players. Anyway there are lots of tutorials and videos for new players perfect to begin to play... unless you're like me, I guess, and need to know (even when you don't have the previous knowledge necessary to understand what's going on).

Thank you very much to both of you :)

[Edit]: To change the correct number, there are 3 (4 with the default one) to choose from, the second Phoebustrack version is a _twbt
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:57:58 am by Dibujor »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2015, 05:55:03 pm »

The only difference is minerals/gems and the tracks. Because I like some of the phoebus stuff but just because I like something doesn't mean I shouldn't include the old stuff people are use to right? I did get rid of some things I didn't think were good anymore though and fricy also changed it a bit but it's ever evolving and also intended.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2015, 03:15:27 am »

Yeah, I imagine is a pretty hard job maintaining a tileset like this and try to balance what you like and what other people likes :). I understand this is a constantly evolving game and besides seems like TWBT is "game changing" thing so things are constantly changing. Now that I have all the information I can begin my journey through the game.... with the default settings for the tileset ;D. If time permits may even try my hand at doing some creatures or objects "spacefox style" since it seems it uses the creatures and most objects from other tilesets (mostly phoebus as it seems pretty complete in that regard, apart from afro's goblins and elves that seem to be "spacefox style") right?

Anyway, thank you all for the answers and the work you're doing :)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2015, 02:28:55 am »

I recently loaded this tileset to see what it was about.  I didn't think much of it at first, but after loading it I discovered several things I hadn't noticed going on in my fort.  The tiles are really easy to understand.  Spacefox is growing on me.

weltall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2015, 11:38:36 am »

Hello to everyone and I hope you all are having a great week, because a day is always too little. I am slightly confused when it comes to choosing one of LeoCean's / fricy's version of Spacefox for DF 34.11. I love Spacefox's tileset as t is the most cartoonie out there and have been using that when I used to play. Now I felt like playing again and trying for first time the Masterwork Edition for 34.11. Seeing SF has been modded by some I would like to check it out, but from all the versions provided, which is the right one to use?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2015, 11:54:25 am »

Wait a second...  Who stole my ride?!
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

weltall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »

Wait a second...  Who stole my ride?!

Me, 16 years ago :p ... although in a way I did not steal it. I am the ride. Confusing stuff.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2015, 12:12:29 pm »

Hello to everyone and I hope you all are having a great week, because a day is always too little. I am slightly confused when it comes to choosing one of LeoCean's / fricy's version of Spacefox for DF 34.11. I love Spacefox's tileset as t is the most cartoonie out there and have been using that when I used to play. Now I felt like playing again and trying for first time the Masterwork Edition for 34.11. Seeing SF has been modded by some I would like to check it out, but from all the versions provided, which is the right one to use?
AFAIK Masterwork 6.x already supports Spacefox and has some of the twbt changes, select the tileset with the MW launcher.
On top of that you can safely add Spacefox_16x16LeoCeanOverrides.png to data/art and overrides.txt to data/init, and it will cover almost every additions we did to Spacefox. Be careful with copying any other files, you don't want to mess up the raws between mods/df versions.

weltall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »

AFAIK Masterwork 6.x already supports Spacefox and has some of the twbt changes, select the tileset with the MW launcher.
On top of that you can safely add Spacefox_16x16LeoCeanOverrides.png to data/art and overrides.txt to data/init, and it will cover almost every additions we did to Spacefox. Be careful with copying any other files, you don't want to mess up the raws between mods/df versions.

Thank you so much for the reply fricy! I am lucky you saw the question so fast. Your work is fantastic from at least different pictures I have seen on the thread. I have replaced "Game Folder\Dwarf Fortress\data\art\Font.png" with your Spacefox_16x16_text.png and "Game Folder\MasterworkDwarfFortress\graphics\Spacefox\data\art\Phoebus_16x16.png with your Spacefox_16x16.png. At least these looked the equals to your changes and cleaning. Of course I have renamed the originals in case I messed up. Should I revert these two to the original?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:12 pm »

Should I revert these two to the original?
Hmm, Spacefox_16x16.png is almost the same, it's up to personal preference what works, no harm done. It's the same for the Font.png, choose what works better for you.
One thing I remember though: Meph uses a different item graphics file in masterwork, so when I told you to replace the overrides.txt with mine you lost some of Meph's additions. What you should do is merge the two files, these are the needed lines from both:
Spacefox overrides
Masterwork overrides

weltall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »

Should I revert these two to the original?
Hmm, Spacefox_16x16.png is almost the same, it's up to personal preference what works, no harm done. It's the same for the Font.png, choose what works better for you.
One thing I remember though: Meph uses a different item graphics file in masterwork, so when I told you to replace the overrides.txt with mine you lost some of Meph's additions. What you should do is merge the two files, these are the needed lines from both:
Spacefox overrides
Masterwork overrides

Thank again for the help fricy. Ok I merged them with spacefox's part placed under the Masterwork's part. http://www.pastebin.ca/3005771

I am not fully understanding what exactly each does but it feels your cleaned out will have numbers as numbers and icons as icons. I am not sure if the tombstone will now be a 0, but if it's just that, I will manually replace only that. Although I am guessing overrides are there to use icons when should be used? Either way I love your modded ones. If all goes well and numbers and icons are there, the only I might replace is the dirt because I liked the simple and clean dotted one, but I ahve to first see how the smoothed out one looks. Soon I will be able to actually install and test it out.

I want also to ask; What are the Twbt merged versions in github's art folder? I am guessing they along with all the non memrged ones are for 40+ DF?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:37:43 pm by weltall »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »

So that let me 3 files to choose from (4 if you count the default one): both LeoCean 01 & 02 and the Phoebustracks version. Although they are slightly different I can't really comprehend the differences until I play a bit and compare the different versions :).

That new function of the PyLNP will be awesome for new players to hide under the hood the things that we don't need to know.

[Edit]: To change the correct number, there are 3 (4 with the default one) to choose from, the second Phoebustrack version is a _twbt

Going by the overrides file, only the one with "overrides" in the name should be hidden (and will be in the next pack release).  As LeoClean says, the others just have some different stylistic choices about how certain tiles look.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2015, 06:53:50 am »

Going by the overrides file, only the one with "overrides" in the name should be hidden (and will be in the next pack release).  As LeoClean says, the others just have some different stylistic choices about how certain tiles look.

Yep, after playing the game a bit more (tinkering with the graphics, more than anything) I begun to understand it a bit more. The other big graphic packs don't have as much variations of the basic tileset as this one, so I was really confused. The starter pack really does help though, and the changes you're implementing will make it even easier. It's just if you're a "tinkerer" that it's a bit confusing at first.

I feel Leocean's "pain" though, maintaining a pack and having to balance what he likes and what others like (what, I guess, lead to that many variations of the tileset). In the end, instead of playing more I begun to draw some new tiles for Spacefox to suit my taste and after enjoying myself too much for a few hours I begun to play with the idea to design a completely new 24x tileset (I play on a 27" monitor @ 1920x1200), and have to fight with my own tastes to decide between variations of the tiles (I have 5 versions for the walls, for example).

I know almost nothing about the inner working of the game though and the more I read about colors, hard coded tiles, twbt, etc the more complicated it seems, so I'm mostly scribbling some tiles here and there as I feel like, leaving the innards for when I have something more or less complete.

This game sure hooks people in mysterious ways :D

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2015, 07:25:47 pm »

There's a 24x24 spacefox original set somewhere. However if you use the starter pack you can use  twbt tilesize 24 24 in one of the dfhack.init files. Spacefox scales up pretty well compared to the other sets using that. I myself was going to create a different wall type but I'm to lazy to do it before the next version comes out...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:25:33 pm by LeoCean »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2015, 06:56:47 am »

Thanks, I found that 24x spacefox through the forums (and a 24x phoebus too). It's true it scales pretty well thanks to it's cartoony style, but it'd need a lot of clean up to keep it crisp.

However, when I said I wanted to make a new 24x tileset, I wasn't talking about "porting" spacefox to a bigger size, but making a completely new and original 24x tileset (and that tileset is the one that has 5 possible walls variations I have to choose from). Yeah, a bit crazy since I've never done pixel art and I'm a newcomer to playing DF.

With spacefox I just wanted to change some tiles to maintain a bit more consistency (kind of what you did with the plants) and give it it's own tiles where it still uses some from other packs. And the walls :D, don't know why but I wanted to change the walls. I intend to do this mainly for me to play, and if anyone likes them maybe you could add another variation tileset like the ones there with the phoebus tracks and so on. I intended to do that as well with animals, objects, creatures, to complete the set. But now that I decided to go for the new tileset I don't know if I'll do that in the short term. I'll complete the basic spacefox tileset though (because I like playing with it, and the other one is a long way till I finish it) then we'll see about the graphic pack.

Some examples of what I have done with spacefox:

These are the tiles I have changed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are some wall variations

Some different variations for the tiles I've changed (this image is at 2x size)

And this is how it looks "in game", well, sort of because I used DwarfMockup for this and it doesn't use spacefox colors and the walls look a bit wonky but still...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38