Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 501026 times)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:06 am »

Damn those walls are so sexy in that last image. Yeah I understood you wanted to make a new set, I was just mentioning it. We can never have to many good sets out there :P Especially ones that are over 18x18 pixels. Your walls are probably 24x24 aren't they, which sucks for the 16x16 set. :'(

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:33 am »

;D nope, that walls you just saw are 16x16 , those I made them specifically for spacefox (all those tiles in fact). If you like them I can send you the tileset with those walls (you mean the ones in the last capture, right? because I made 3 types of walls for spacefox).

The walls I have atm for my 24px tiles are these (an imgur album, there are 5 images and don't want to hijack the spacefox thread):

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2015, 02:22:08 pm »

Those last 3 walls are turning dwarf fortress into starcraft 2.. It's not a bad thing ;D Yeah I meant the ones in the dwarf mockup image.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »

Very nice, Drawor! The flat shading on those walls would really suit Spacefox, and I'm particularly fond of the first one because of how 3D it is.

also holy cow your portfolio is so amazing

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »

Those last 3 walls are turning dwarf fortress into starcraft 2.. It's not a bad thing ;D Yeah I meant the ones in the dwarf mockup image.

Yep, those walls in the mockup are 16x16 :), as are all those tiles (the doors, the crown, the hatch, etc).

Well, now I can see what you mean by turning it into starcraft, lol. However, the leiv motif or the design decision behind my new 24x tileset is that I decided that I want to base all the design in the dwarven architecture from the lotr movies, straigh lines, squares, octagonal shapes, big blocks..... I loved what they did with the dwarfs in the hobbit (design wise, the rest is debatable). They gave them a unique personality as a race and that kind of design is what I want to transmit to a complete graphic pack for dwarf fortress, though being unique. I love the cartoony look of spacefox though,and how well it makes the dwarfs readable so being my first time with pixels we'll see how it goes if I can mix a bit of both  ::).

Very nice, Drawor! The flat shading on those walls would really suit Spacefox, and I'm particularly fond of the first one because of how 3D it is.

also holy cow your portfolio is so amazing

Did...did you translate my nickname from spanish to english?  ;D, whenever I have to explain it to english speaking people I have to use words like Illustrationist or Cartoonator.

Thanks Platinum Dragon ;), you made my day there.

Are you talking about the 1st walls in the imgur album? yeah, I made all those at 24px for my future set but as I finished the 1st ones I also thought they'll suit spacefox too. Perhaps they're a bit "high" on the angle, almost isometric and can look forced, don't you think?

Haha, I'm glad you liked my portfolio. I really should update it.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »

Oh yeah, some might not like it but I've always been a big fan of portraying depth in 2D tiles. My favorite way to do it is something like this, where the walls slant downwards and you can see the south, west and east faces simultaneously:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But now that I think about it, the perspective would probably clash with the flat stone textures and trunks. I might wanna try something more flat like other tilesets.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2015, 07:08:48 pm »

Well, that looks gorgeous!.  I don't think it'll clash that much.  It's almost a top down perspective thanks to the thinner top of the walls.  Perhaps a little less "height" in the southern part of the tiles (so moving down the blue top or making it wider) and you're  done. I honestly think it looks fantastic.  Terrific color palette you have there.  A fantastic contrast play throughout all your graphic pack.

And yeah I like me some perspective too.  That's one of the things I liked about spacefox, and one I wanted to emphasize with some new tiles I felt need it.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:53 pm »

I'm not a fan of those walls (Escher enough to give me a headache), but the tree trunks are beautiful!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2015, 08:22:50 pm »

Hmm...It seems like there's a bit of a disagreement here.

I don't want to bring the Spacefox thread too off-topic, though, so I'll make a poll in the GemSet thread once I'm ready for the tile overrides. I'll ask people what perspective the tiles should be in and get a discussion going.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:34:04 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »

If I had the inclination and talent, I'd like to do a top down slightly slanted dwarf pack to match the same perspective as the walls and other items.  By I understand the flat view gives a more directionless impression as the mobs move across the screen.  But with the advent of TWBT, why paint the world flat?  In any case, I just prefer a consistent perspective myself -- no matter what it is. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:56:43 pm by Clatch »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2015, 03:33:47 am »

Hmm...It seems like there's a bit of a disagreement here.

I don't want to bring the Spacefox thread too off-topic, though, so I'll make a poll in the GemSet thread once I'm ready for the tile overrides. I'll ask people what perspective the tiles should be in and get a discussion going.

Haha, there will always be disagreement ;) not everyone has the same taste so, in the end you'll have to do what you're comfortable doing. Besides, perspective on the walls is a pretty important decision as it will influence everything (or that's how I see it). Depending on the walls having more or less perspective, the rest of the (the ones you can change, anyway, things like coffers, chests, etc)  will have to follow that guide more or less or it will clash a lot. That's why 'm struggling with my walls atm.

Anyway, you're right, I guess I should open a new thread to keep my new set separated from what I do for spacefox, ask questions (I have a lot), and keep track of my progress. By the way in the gemset thread you answered one of the questions I have, and that is if it's at all possible with twbt to make different tiles for different materials (for example 3 doors depending of material, wood, stone or metal) and so on. I'd like to do that as much as I can

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2015, 07:13:47 am »

I've ported the "3D" 24px wall to 16px to see how it looks in spacefox. It needs more contrast. Hard to judge the final effect with DwarfMockup though, since it doesn't have an option to change the color sets to use the spacefox one.

And another set of walls, really don't know what to use myself between these three types...

[Edit] To add another set, the last one, I promise :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:36:26 pm by Dibujor »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:04 pm »

You mean those and this one
?

In the tileset are those 2 walls above actually the same wall? Or 2 different ones? I can't tell from that image, just the difference in the engravings. Still look sweet.

I like them both, can't really say which I like more. At the very least just seeing them I know it's going to turn out awesome. The walls at least.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2015, 03:17:26 am »

Yesp, those are the three walls I have for spacefox. Here's an Image with the three side by side to better compare them.

I like them all. Perhaps #3 is the most similar to what spacefox has now. But I honestly can't choose between them :D

And yes, those two are the same wall, that was to illustrate what my intention was in the beginning, to have the first as a normal constructed/smooth wall and the second as the engraved version. I used the same colors (transparency and all) as the original spacefox wall, but it didn't turn out well because yeah, the semitransparent engravings show the background color (I get that's how it works in DF as well), thus appearing also in the normal constructed wall, and darker when I actually intended the engravings to be lighter. Perhaps with an overwrite for the walls, to show the engraved version JUST when you actually engrave the walls?.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2015, 03:38:12 am »

Out of the three, I think #2 looks the best. #1 is too noisy from a distance and #3 is a little too plain. I know the focus of Spacefox is on graphical clarity, but with the low contrast I think you could pull off a design like #2.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38