Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 500895 times)

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:58 pm »

I saw your replies in the phoebus thread, so can we assume this is also for the 40.24 release? If so, as you asked in the phoebus thread, I'd certainly be interested in a 42.xx version of Spacefox in 24x24!

Looking at the difference between the two samples you showed in the other thread really looks great, good job!

Ok! here it is for 42.05

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11714

I cannot check it because I only have 40.24, so let me know if works.

EDIT: I forgot to say.  There is an optimum zoom level for these tiles, which is not the default zoom level.   The optimum is pretty visible if you look at rocks and wall tiles.   Zoom in slowly and you will notice it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:07:50 pm by Quiet-Sun »

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 26, 2016, 01:15:10 am »

I saw your replies in the phoebus thread, so can we assume this is also for the 40.24 release? If so, as you asked in the phoebus thread, I'd certainly be interested in a 42.xx version of Spacefox in 24x24!

Looking at the difference between the two samples you showed in the other thread really looks great, good job!

Ok! here it is for 42.05

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11714

I cannot check it because I only have 40.24, so let me know if works.

EDIT: I forgot to say.  There is an optimum zoom level for these tiles, which is not the default zoom level.   The optimum is pretty visible if you look at rocks and wall tiles.   Zoom in slowly and you will notice it.

I am normally running 42.04 with the LazyNewbPack, but I downloaded a fresh install of vanilla DF 42.05 into a different spot on my computer, and installed your pack. Everything looks pretty darn good, played for a few seasons and haven't seen any issues at all yet. Besides the lack of TextWillBeText, that is.

Not to sure how to get all those other goodies (DFHack, Dwarf Thereapists, etc.) working at the same time, but may have to look into that at this point. Or maybe there is a quick way to get the LNP to see your version of Spacefox, will be checking into these things/options.

Thanks!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:15 am »

Maybe there is a quick way to get the LNP to see your version of Spacefox, will be checking into these things/options.

You can just drop it into the folder "LNP/graphics/Spacefox/data/art", then use that tileset from the graphics>customise tab in PyLNP.  Odds are Fricy will drop them into his copy soon, and then step one will be done for you  ;)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:39 am »

Maybe there is a quick way to get the LNP to see your version of Spacefox, will be checking into these things/options.

You can just drop it into the folder "LNP/graphics/Spacefox/data/art", then use that tileset from the graphics>customise tab in PyLNP.  Odds are Fricy will drop them into his copy soon, and then step one will be done for you  ;)
I'm sure as hell going to have a look. :)
I've been experimenting with something like this, but with the xBRZ and HQX resizing algorithms. Arclance's Tileset Resizer's tilebytile process produces kickass results, only problems is I lost the transparency on the text, and I couldn't figure out how to get it back... :(
@ BlackSmokeDMax: Hmmm. Permission to tinker with it? Some tiles definetly look better with waifu2x, but hqx produces an overall smoother look.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:51:00 am by fricy »

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2016, 03:01:03 am »

@ BlackSmokeDMax: Hmmm. Permission to tinker with it? Some tiles definetly look better with waifu2x, but hqx produces an overall smoother look.

I assume this question was addressed to me?  Of course you can do anything with it!  to put it in your hands was my ultimate goal! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.   And by the way, thank you so much to both of you (fricy and peridexis) for all you do.  Without your efforts I would have never tried this game, and so far I'm loving it!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:15:20 am by Quiet-Sun »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2016, 03:20:54 am »

I've been experimenting with something like this, but with the xBRZ and HQX resizing algorithms. Arclance's Tileset Resizer's tilebytile process produces kickass results, only problems is I lost the transparency on the text, and I couldn't figure out how to get it back... :(

If you work out a reliable combination of algorithm and settings, we could try to add an on-the-fly resizer to PyLNP - choose your desired tile size independently from tileset (plus the auto-select based on screen resolution).  I'm decent with numpy array stuff, and have been intending to get better for work...
 Donations here.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2016, 03:22:09 am »

I assume this question was addressed to me?
/Facepalm.
Sorry. :)

If you work out a reliable combination of algorithm and settings, we could try to add an on-the-fly resizer to PyLNP - choose your desired tile size independently from tileset (plus the auto-select based on screen resolution).  I'm decent with numpy array stuff, and have been intending to get better for work...
That would be kickass, but would need a clean implementation. Using arclance's stuff is not easy, and requires a HUGE support library.
Altought this is the first search result for "python xbrz" Hmm.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:30:25 am by fricy »

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 26, 2016, 08:14:25 am »

I renamed the directory that Quiet-Sun had made to Spacefox24 and then then copyied that alongside the other graphics folders in:
C:\Dwarf Fortress\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.42.04-r03\LNP\graphics

And then launched the starter pack, but it didn't seem to be picking up that new folder so I figured the folders may be hard coded into the program.

I also didn't want to start copying parts of the supplied folder into the Spacefox folder that is included seeing as there seems to be a lot of differences, none of the folder sizes within matched. I figured if I did that and got bad results I wouldn't be able to tell Quiet-Sun whether it was his work that had been off or my distinct lack of knowledge on the subject.

So you are saying I could just mix the files from his /art folder into the spacefox/data/art folder that are supplied with the starter pack without any problems? I was really worried about messing with that any of those files when I saw the vast folder size difference between the raw folders. Or are you saying I could just put the entire contents of his supplied files into the  "LNP/graphics/Spacefox/data/art" and just ignore the mismatch of folder layouts?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 26, 2016, 09:22:16 am »

I renamed the directory that Quiet-Sun had made to Spacefox24 and then then copyied that alongside the other graphics folders in:

And then launched the starter pack, but it didn't seem to be picking up that new folder so I figured the folders may be hard coded into the program.

I also didn't want to start copying parts of the supplied folder into the Spacefox folder that is included seeing as there seems to be a lot of differences, none of the folder sizes within matched. I figured if I did that and got bad results I wouldn't be able to tell Quiet-Sun whether it was his work that had been off or my distinct lack of knowledge on the subject.

So you are saying I could just mix the files from his /art folder into the spacefox/data/art folder that are supplied with the starter pack without any problems? I was really worried about messing with that any of those files when I saw the vast folder size difference between the raw folders. Or are you saying I could just put the entire contents of his supplied files into the  "LNP/graphics/Spacefox/data/art" and just ignore the mismatch of folder layouts?

The graphics packs are not hardcoded, but they are tested for validity - so I'd guess there's a problem somewhere that led to it not being displayed.  I don't have time for detailed troubleshooting, sorry.

You had the right idea to avoid messing around in the /raw/ folder.  However /data/art/ is safe; you can just add the images from his supplied folder to the existing spacefox /data/art/ (this is what Fricy will do) and then use the PyLNP customise tab.
 Donations here.

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 26, 2016, 09:50:27 am »

The graphics packs are not hardcoded, but they are tested for validity - so I'd guess there's a problem somewhere that led to it not being displayed.  I don't have time for detailed troubleshooting, sorry.

You had the right idea to avoid messing around in the /raw/ folder.  However /data/art/ is safe; you can just add the images from his supplied folder to the existing spacefox /data/art/ (this is what Fricy will do) and then use the PyLNP customise tab.

Thanks! Will give that a try. No worries about not messing with it now, I don't want to rush you, certainly not for my one specific case. Are you considering validating that for a future release though?

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #400 on: January 26, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

Do you mean as part of PyLNP when the person selects a graphic set? or do you mean as a substitute to DF linear interpolation when people zoom in and out?   The first one should not be too difficult, the second one would be insanely awesome.   Do we have access to DF renderer module?

That would be kickass, but would need a clean implementation. Using arclance's stuff is not easy, and requires a HUGE support library.
Altought this is the first search result for "python xbrz" Hmm.

Yes I saw it too!  I actually inteded to use xBRZ, but right now I'm quite busy with work so in the end went for a quick resize with Weifu2x (which already has an online tool).

EDIT:  Looking online I saw that an older DF visual source code is available:

https://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-

I wrote an email to Baughn to see if we could get the newer version.   I think that if we incorporate xBRZ to DF, then no one would ever have to fool around with tilesizes :)   It should not be impossible.  After all, people have already done it for NES and SNES emulators.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:27:30 pm by Quiet-Sun »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 26, 2016, 01:53:04 pm »

Do you mean as part of PyLNP when the person selects a graphic set? or do you mean as a substitute to DF linear interpolation when people zoom in and out?   The first one should not be too difficult, the second one would be insanely awesome.   Do we have access to DF renderer module?
The first. The second would need active contribution (and/or partial open-sourcing) from Toady, which he declared he doesn't want. :(
We have access to the renderer, the one you already linked to (Baughn). Unfortunately it doesn't help much, we can't replace it with a newer one on win/osx, but I heard it's possible to replace it linux.

Yes I saw it too!  I actually inteded to use xBRZ, but right now I'm quite busy with work so in the end went for a quick resize with Weifu2x (which already has an online tool).
I'm not sure how I feel after playing around with arclance's hqx, some tiles look better in game with his method, some are definitely better with yours, and the lost transparency is a major kill for other tiles. Damn it, it should support alpha channel, but can't make it work properly neither on windows, nor on osx. :(

I wrote an email to Baughn to see if we could get the newer version.   I think that if we incorporate xBRZ to DF, then no one would ever have to fool around with tilesizes :)   It should not be impossible.  After all, people have already done it for NES and SNES emulators.
Yeah, that's the one, Baughn rewrote the DF engine some time ago, and last I heard he was willing to work on implementing some missing features, and fix some bugs, but of course he needs source access, which is not going to happen... Second best man to pitch the idea to is mifki who wrote the twbt plugin which hacks the renderer using dfhack to support tile overrides, multilevel, etc.

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #402 on: January 26, 2016, 02:24:18 pm »

The first. The second would need active contribution (and/or partial open-sourcing) from Toady, which he declared he doesn't want. :(
We have access to the renderer, the one you already linked to (Baughn). Unfortunately it doesn't help much, we can't replace it with a newer one on win/osx, but I heard it's possible to replace it linux.

That's ok.  We work with what we have.

Yeah, that's the one, Baughn rewrote the DF engine some time ago, and last I heard he was willing to work on implementing some missing features, and fix some bugs, but of course he needs source access, which is not going to happen... Second best man to pitch the idea to is mifki who wrote the twbt plugin which hacks the renderer using dfhack to support tile overrides, multilevel, etc.

That's a great idea!  I will write to him to see what he things about feasibility.

I'm not sure how I feel after playing around with arclance's hqx, some tiles look better in game with his method, some are definitely better with yours, and the lost transparency is a major kill for other tiles. Damn it, it should support alpha channel, but can't make it work properly neither on windows, nor on osx. :(

Which one doesn't support the alpha channel?  this one: https://gist.github.com/sfan5/7827430 ?   The Weifu2x resizing that I did retains transparency.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 26, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »

Which one doesn't support the alpha channel?  this one: https://gist.github.com/sfan5/7827430 ?   The Weifu2x resizing that I did retains transparency.
The hqx based Tileset Resizer. It fails both on windows and mac, but for different reasons.
I can use the xBRZ/ScalerTest to double up to 32x32px retaining transparency with excellent results, but then I have to go to 24x24, and I haven't found anything that would be good enough, and I tried a LOT of apps. Best results are produced by the tile-by-tile method of the Tileset resizer, it splits the image into tile size chunks, resizes each, and stiches the image back together. It beats everything I tried...except transparency is broken for some reason, even though it should work.  :'(

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2016, 03:34:24 pm »

The hqx based Tileset Resizer. It fails both on windows and mac, but for different reasons.
I can use the xBRZ/ScalerTest to double up to 32x32px retaining transparency with excellent results, but then I have to go to 24x24, and I haven't found anything that would be good enough, and I tried a LOT of apps. Best results are produced by the tile-by-tile method of the Tileset resizer, it splits the image into tile size chunks, resizes each, and stiches the image back together. It beats everything I tried...except transparency is broken for some reason, even though it should work.  :'(

Ah I see! let's wait to see if mifki answers.  If we can make a plugin for DFHack that does the upscaling on the fly (based on zoom level), then nobody will need to worry about this ever again and will have the best results.  Barring that, let's try to do it as part of PyLNP.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38