Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 500753 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 03:38:01 am »

the bad news is that I tried to export it on mac and since I have an old mac that cant have the latest version of java then no MacNewbie pack, I was wondering why I got that error after I copy the graphics set in the DF folder. DF works without the pack.

Hamburger-6:~ Witch$ /Users/Witch/Desktop/df_osx/df ; exit;
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
/Users/Witch/Desktop/df_osx/df: line 12: 19347 Abort trap              ./dwarfort.exe
logout

[Process completed]

I think osx's overly agressive overwrite behavior that is causing this issue: when you copy spacefox into df it does not try to merge the folders, but deletes the old ones and copies the new folders into place, leading to missing files which cause a crash.
You could try:
a: manually copy the new files into the target folders.
b: the old macnewbie launcher. You can find it in the LNP folder, I kept it for legacy reasons like this. :) It's a bit buggy, and tends to make a mess of existing save folders when changing graphics packs, but as long as you do it before generating a new world it's fine.

By the way: I was not aware that java was deprecated for older OS Xs. :( Which system are you on?

le_ross

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »

the bad news is that I tried to export it on mac and since I have an old mac that cant have the latest version of java then no MacNewbie pack, I was wondering why I got that error after I copy the graphics set in the DF folder. DF works without the pack.

Hamburger-6:~ Witch$ /Users/Witch/Desktop/df_osx/df ; exit;
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
/Users/Witch/Desktop/df_osx/df: line 12: 19347 Abort trap              ./dwarfort.exe
logout

[Process completed]

I think osx's overly agressive overwrite behavior that is causing this issue: when you copy spacefox into df it does not try to merge the folders, but deletes the old ones and copies the new folders into place, leading to missing files which cause a crash.
You could try:
a: manually copy the new files into the target folders.
b: the old macnewbie launcher. You can find it in the LNP folder, I kept it for legacy reasons like this. :) It's a bit buggy, and tends to make a mess of existing save folders when changing graphics packs, but as long as you do it before generating a new world it's fine.

By the way: I was not aware that java was deprecated for older OS Xs. :( Which system are you on?

Thanks again, the manuel move worked like a charm.

It's an old laptop ... leopard 10.5.8 or should I call it leper.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »

This set is great.

A friend and myself are playing a DF game over SSH on my server, and I really miss this pack. We're stuck using custom fonts to make it look better, I found this old pack of tilesets that were converted to fonts http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1922. The quality isn't the best and its from 2010 before this pack was made.

I was wondering if someone could humor me, and make a ttf version of this pack with infinitely better skills than myself?

If not, I'll see what I can hack together but it probably won't be pretty.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:41 am »

Permission to modify the set for my mod?

I will share creature graphics which I will try to make fitting to these amazing dwarves.

By modify I mostly mean tree/plant tiles needed for my mod. I've made them look like this:

Background color magic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:45 pm »

I've used your tileset in the base of my future big mod:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133456.0

For tiles I use Sphr dwarves, but only because there's no fitting animal/human tiles. I absolutely adore your dwarves.

Thanks for the great tileset!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2013, 10:19:06 am »

Awesome tileset, really nice work spacefox.

Downside is my eyes bleed when I look at the text that has been heavily changed to other symbol. Because I am new to DF, I can only recognize 0, x, > and <.
It is definitely not your fault though. This can hardly be fixed without using individual tileset for each item.

Just curious, how is your Hong Kong trip? As a Hong Konger I am pretty nosy for this haha

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »

This can hardly be fixed without using individual tileset for each item.

Which you can't do.
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:33 am »

I don't normally care for square tilesets, but when I read that this one was inspired by Jolly Bastion, I tried it out and I am absolutely loving it.

The only thing I am not sure about is the liquids. I like that I can see how deep a body of liquid is at a glance, but at the same time I miss it looking like water/lava.

The only thing I outright dislike is that unless you use F12, some of the fonts are unreadable, and I don't really care for having my 0's look like rocks. But this isn't really a fault on Spacefox; it's just how the game works.

All in all, this is now my new favorite tileset :D 9/10 stars.

you.fail.me

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »

Guys, how can I change the font in the tileset? This tileset is pretty cool, but fonts really piss me off:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those "g", "p", "q", "y" really make me cry, the indentation between characters is gigantic, and the font itself seems to be too bold and big for me. For example, I like to play df windowed and in such case many descriptions don't fit in the screen. How can I change the font, remaining other tiles unchanged? For example, I liked the font from Jolly Bastion, Phoebus's one is ok too, default one is pretty convenient and readable. How can I borrow the font from there and fit it here?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:05:51 pm by you.fail.me »

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 02:34:30 pm »

Guys, how can I change the font in the tileset? This tileset is pretty cool, but fonts really piss me off:
Those "g", "p", "q", "y" really make me cry, the indentation between characters is gigantic, and the font itself seems to be too bold and big for me. For example, I like to play df windowed and in such case many descriptions don't fit in the screen. How can I change the font, remaining other tiles unchanged? For example, I liked the font from Jolly Bastion, Phoebus's one is ok too, default one is pretty convenient and readable. How can I borrow the font from there and fit it here?

If you are talking about the truetype font that toggles on when you press f12, then you can swap the actual font file located at: Dwarf Fortress Directory\Data\art\font.ttf

Put whatever font you want there, and name it font.ttf.

If you are talking about the font stored in the actual tileset graphics, you will need something like the phoebus tileset merge utility, or paint.net (or GIMP on linux, or something equivalent for OSX)to manually replace them in the tileset files.  Those are also located in Data\art.

Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

you.fail.me

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:49 pm »

If you are talking about the font stored in the actual tileset graphics, you will need something like the phoebus tileset merge utility, or paint.net (or GIMP on linux, or something equivalent for OSX)to manually replace them in the tileset files.  Those are also located in Data\art.
I'm talking about right that. What is Phoebus merge utility? Could you give a link or something? I've really tried googling but didn't find it(

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 01:41:03 pm »

I'm talking about right that. What is Phoebus merge utility? Could you give a link or something? I've really tried googling but didn't find it(

I took a bit a time to look around, and here is what I found out:

The Phoebus tileset utility is included with his tileset download.  Check the mediafire link on that forum post here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137096.0

However, I'm not positive how it works yet, and it may be more difficult to get what you want (Spacefox with something else for a font) out of it than it would to just change it yourself.

Here is what I suggest:
For Windows:
download both tilesets, and extract them somewhere.  Doesn't matter where, we are going to delete them afterwards.
Open both tileset files in an image editing program that supports saving in a PNG file.  I suggest Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/).  The tilesets are in the following locations:
   -Phoebus: Extracted Directory\data\art\Phoebus_16x16.png
   -Spacefox: Extracted Directory\data\art\Spacefox_16x16.png
Once both are open, compare the two.  You will notice that the font is part of this file.  You will need to copy the items you want from one tileset to the other, and then save it as a PNG file.  Note that the spacing is VERY IMPORTANT, as dwarf fortress takes the tileset file and breaks it up internally into 16x16 pixel chunks.

Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as the directions might indicate... and there isn't an easy way for me to describe what you need to do.  I'll see if I can make the appropriate files for you, but no promises.  I encourage you to dive in and take a look for yourself!

Optimally, you will copy just the letters from another tileset, into the spacefox one.  Then, you will save your Franken-Tileset over top of your tileset in your 'Active' Dwarf Fortress game.  Make a Backup first!!  It will be in your data\art directory again. 

Good luck!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

you.fail.me

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2014, 11:11:17 am »

Ok, as far as I understood I had just to copy 16x16 pixel chunks corresponding to letters from the tileset that I like. I've done right that, but the result turned out to be pretty unexpectable.
I've modified the Spacefox's tileset with the Jolly Bastion font and received such an image:
Seemed right to me, but when I run DF with that I get a strange and annoying highlighting of the text and general change of brightness.
Here is how does the DF look with the Spacefox's tileset:
And here is how does the DF look with font changes commited:
Another example of weird highlighting:
Why did it become brighter and what a heck is that highlighting? How do I fix it?
P.S. by the way, please, show me, which chunks correspond to stockpiles and farm plots, I liked Phoebus's version of those more and would like to replace those chunks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:45:12 am by you.fail.me »

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »

So as you may have noticed, png files are like bmp files, or jpeg files but without the compression.

Png also allows transparency, which is behind the letters in the phoebus and spacefox fonts, but not on the jolly bastion font.

The best way to fix it now is to take the tileset, use the eyedrop tool to select some of the surrounding darker background from another tile, and then fill the spaces near the letters.

dwarf fortress uses the tileset in an interesting way, kind of like a stained glass window. Since you don't have the darkened area around the letters, and other spaces used to represent the ground, they appear brighter than the surroundings, because they aren't darkening the color that is under it and shining through.

I'm not sure which tile is for the stockpile, but I know it is on the wiki! Let me know if you have trouble finding it. I can look later tonight.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

you.fail.me

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »

In fact, I've tried making the background for the font the same as for everything else:
but it didn't help(
And, any ideas about the general change of brightness? I didn't modify any tiles except letters, so why did it change? How can I fix it?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:12:12 pm by you.fail.me »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38