Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Coil: A Post-Apocalyptic Succession Forum Game. Round 1: Waitlist Unlimited!  (Read 5944 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

((My original actions is unchanged))

"Heh, glad to hear it. I've been decent enough, but y'know how it is.
Only complaint I can really muster is about the difficulty I've been having getting a hold of parts and all that good stuff.
The military, as per usual, wasn't particularly helpful in that regard... But I'm sure I'll find something to fix and pawn off by th' time I need to."

"We should talk some time, hey?
Also gentlemen and lady, I must be off-it seems the lady has found her man. I'll be at the bar tonight though, if there's business we can discuss later. The one with no name."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Same here. Going to go see what I can buy for eggs.))

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

"Yeah, I've gotta be going too. Erm, nice making your acquaintance, Wade, Alexis...
I'll definitely be taking that offer, by the way. My usual guy's been pretty unreliable as of late...

Oh, and it was great seeing ya again, Lee. Gonna have to get some stuff to trade you for some of those eggs. Heh, nice to eat something that didn't come from a can on occasion. y'know?"

((And yeah, my action's also unchanged.))
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Very reason I'm in town. Hoping to find some things to fix up my ranch. Or, at the very least, some real fruit. Maybe even bacon!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wade smiled and nodded, continuing on his journey. Though the smile fell like a cheap curtain as soon as he was away.

He was uncomfortable meeting so many relative strangers in such an informal fashion...but, he had the idea they could help him...

He thought about lots of things, as he walked alone. He wondered how long the old man would last-as a rule, they didn't. How clever was Edgar, really. He wondered if Alexis was just a harmless flirt, or something more interesting. It seemed to him she changed tactics and begun working on Edgar, once Wade had mentioned he was married. Wade wondered if he had been unconsciously warding her off, or why she should affect him on such a first impression.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((my action is unchanged as well))
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Smiling at ghost and kissing his cheek Alexis read his note.

"[/i]The 2 of us spend more time outside town then anyone else, so I thought I should warn you that the bandits are coming a lot closer to town then normal. I spotted a group yesterday.

I also figured I'd ask if you want some company. Safety in numbers and all that.
[/i]

Alexis then still smiling kissed his other cheek letting her lips linger for a few seconds.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((...I'm starting to wonder about my actual choice of gender for Ghost...))

Ghost looks stunned... Why was this girl kissing them? They remained silent however and decided to take this girl up on her offer, writing out another note reading:

-I'm checking out an old outpost outside town, join me if you wish-

They stare at her a bit, a persceptive person may notice their cheeks a little redder.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go with ghost, have my 2 pets find any animals they can and bring them to me intact, capture any animals I come across myself.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Suggested Soundtrack
Attention civilians, this is the Emergency Broadcast Safety System. Currently it is Major Arnold Steven Stallone speaking. It has come to the military’s attention that more and more looters have been attempting to leave the Green Zone for the Yellow or Red Zones to loot the abandoned buildings. We are coming on air today to inform you that anyone leaving the Green Zone is a risk to not only themselves but the entire community.

The first and foremost danger does go to these “Looters” obviously. They seek more, they hunt for more, and they won’t stop until they get it. But it’s never enough. This sort of avarice encourages greater and greater risk. Eventually they are all found by the Bandits who exist outside of our wall. The lucky ones are simply killed and eaten by the evil bastards. Women looters face worse with rape and torture not being uncommon. If you have thoughts of looting we urge you to resist. For your own safety.

If you are still considering it then we still urge you not to do so. What about the balance of the community? These are hard times. Everyone has had to go with less. These Looters however have stolen various pieces of property including rations and vital military equipment. Their growing hoard of stolen riches encourages jealousy. Jealousy encourages anger. Anger, in turn, encourages a collapse of our system.

For the sake of everyone the Green Zone Defense Squad is forced to announce the following measures. Any non military personnel found looting will be captured and brought in for questioning. Any non military personnel outside of the Green Zone Perimeter are now considered a bandit or a looter and will be shot on sight. All sightings of non military personnel leaving the Green Zone Perimeter are to be reported to military personnel.

Finally, to any non military personnel who has looted in the past, we are offering amnesty to any non military personnel who has looted in the past. To receive this luxury all past looters are to report to the nearest military officer and confess to their crimes as well as to the locations they have looted

This has been Major Stallone, signing off.

(Thank Nerjin for these excellent radio broadcasts: I couldn't do them better myself.)

Day Two
Ghost & Alexis

[7] No-one's really in need of looking for things in military complexes, so you're not going to get paid for it. You cut the fence's wire with a wire cutter, while Alexis keeps on the look-out for floodlights and trucks. [19] After five minutes, the fence is entirely cut, and you two slip into the night without the military even having an idea that you were there in the first place.

The early morning light trickles over the forest, red leaves crunching underfoot. They call the Grey Forest now. You both walk through the darkness of the shade. The wolves are checking out the perimeter. [6] After a while of walking, they come back. Alexis looks oddly disappointed.

You hold up your hand and stop. Alexis looks at you, then you point. She follows your gaze. A robin is on the ground, two feet in front of you. It picks at the ground, then looks up at you. It takes flight.

"I can't..." Alexis shakes her head. "I can't remember the last time I saw a robin."

You can't either. Hell, any bird. The world is a far quieter place, you realize, without the sound of birdsong.

[3] An arrow flies through the air, and you both take cover. You can see the girl who's attacking you. She's wearing a gasmask, sweatshirt, sewn together trousers, plastic bags for footwear. Got a makeshift wooden crossbow. Bad idea, they take too long to reload. She curses and slots a bolt in and starts winding it back, and thus the battle begins.

Alexis runs at the girl, and you draw your bow's string back. You hear the howling of dogs, and then the click of a bolt being perfectly prepared for firing at you.

[Alexis: 2+3=5][Enemy:6][Ghost:4=7][Dogs:4,9] What follows is a chaotic mangle of arrows, dogs howling, and swearing. When the dust clears, the bandit has fled and Alexis has a bolt in her gut. She groans and doubles over, and you walk over and help her. You manage to get the bolt out with a lot of screaming and a rock for leverage, and she's still bleeding pretty badly when it's done.

You keep walking, then stop. There's a red cross on one of the trees. Very faded, but you can see it. You look at your map. Yes, this is the spot. You kneel down by the tree and uncover some of the moss, and find a metal trapdoor. You open it, revealing a ladder going down into darkness. You descend eagerly.

You feel around in the darkness, and feel a button on a concrete wall. You press it, and the lights flick on. The EMP might not have touched this place. You can hear a gasoline engine, far off in the distance. The concrete bunker is one room, with crates everywhere. There is a table with a ham radio, and laying on the table, clutching the microphone, is an almost mummified corpse in army gear. You walk over, and see a tape recorder attached to the ham radio.

"This is Sergeant Max Frederickson." The voice is desperate, tired. "I'm not sure if anyone can hear this. It has been two weeks since the army retreated... and left me behind. If there's anyone in the area Zulu Alpha Zero Zero 4, please come, I'm running out of fo--"

You switch the tape recorder off, then look at the corpse. Something inside of you wishes you could do something.

Alexis comes down, but she doesn't ask about the corpse. You both begin to search the room. [6, 2] [5,2,5] You don't find anything except old wrappers and empty water bottles. Alexis stands behind you as you open a door... The problem being, the door's holding back rubble. [1] [5] You both get hit by a boulder, and fall to the floor. You get up, bruised and battered.

"... This ain't going so well, is it?" she says, and you nod. You both give the area one last look-over, then leave. There's nothing for you here. You go your separate ways as soon as you get back into the Green Zone.

Old Man Lee

"Two eggs... Fresh eggs, hard to come by." Gerald hangs around out the back of the old gas station where the pumps are dry and a sign hands on the window saying NO GAS. No-one goes by there for it's intended purpose. They come for Gerald. He taps the crate that's underneath him then thinks. "I like you, Lee. Most old guys wouldn't survive this long if they weren't you."

You tell him it was luck, not anything else, that got you through this.

"Isn't that the only reason humans are still around?" Gerald says. "Anyway. Here's a few objects you could have for two fresh eggs. Take your pick, you only get one."

He takes out three objects. One's a pair of binoculars. One is a butcher's knife, slightly bloodstained. The last is a few corn seeds.

"Come on, old man, I ain't got all day." said Gerald.
You can choose what item you want, then plan out the next day.

Wade Blue
"Reward card?" Red -the local scavenger- says, taking a drink of watered-down beer in the bar as you discuss things. "What can I do with a reward card? I'm not giving you the [19] cutlery and the pots unless you give me something better."

You tell him that the reward card specifies that you can get stuff you wouldn't get ordinarily. It's not a Utility card, where you can get repairs done on your house, but it can get you rewards. You also note that Red's daughter's birthday is coming up soon, right? Maybe a present wouldn't go amiss.

"Oh, yeah... It's her fourth. She's so happy. She... barely remembers, you know how it is..." Red smiles in a way you recognize from the times you look in the mirror: a genuine smile, but tempered with the fact that anybody can die, anytime, especially the people you're smiling for. He looks at you and sighs. "[9+2=11] Okay, okay, reward card. But you owe me."

You smile and hand him the reward card, and he hands you a non-descript box. You both finish your drinks and then make your excuses. You head back with the box and lay it on the kitchen, sending up dust. With all the MREs, when was the last time you cooked? You call for Emily, and she soon arrives.

"The army's saying they're cracking down on looters... They say it's protecting them, the bastards. They barely give us food, and they kill us for trying to get more..." Emily says, shaking her head. "The bandits can't be as bad as they say."

You know how bad they can be. You disagree.

"But if they're like you..." says Emily, smiling at you. "They can't be that bad, right?"

Your heart almost breaks. One day, Emily is going to die because you couldn't protect her. One day, you are going to die and Emily will be all alone in the world. You change the subject. You tell her you got some cutlery and kitchen equipment. Once you get some food, you could actually cook some food.

"Oh, Wade!" she hugs you. "Thank you. It's been so long since I had some actually prepared food."

You stay like that for a while. You and your wife, in each other's arms. For some reason, you feel like you're lying to her.

Edgar Winter

You open the door to the internet café. It's a long shot, but it'll do. Inside is rows upon rows of empty desks, waiting for users that would never come. There's a pile of computers in the corner that have been set alight for some reason, and there's a bit of graffiti on the remaining ones. You get to searching the desks, and occasionally turn on the remaining computers in the vain hope that maybe one of them still works.

[20, 7] You open the door to the manager's office and withdraw from the stink. Another scavenger was less lucky then you: he triggered a bear trap and probably died from the bleeding. He kinda looks like a guy you saw around, he looked kinda shady. You take off his backpack and root through it. Empty tin cans, old romance books... What's this?

You take out a large metallic square with claws on the underside. It's got a screen on it, and a stenciled on "PROJECT SEVERED LINE". You tap the screen, holding it in your hand. Something beeps, and the words "Online" are displayed. Excellent, now you have to figure out what the hell it is.

Before you can even react, the object's claws dig into your palm. You yell and try to get it off, but wires come out of it as the object slowly integrates with your hand. Veins are replaced with wires, skin with a flexible plastic. It's indescribably painful, like an electric fire spreading through you. You pass out from the pain, and when you wake up, your entire left hand has been replaced.

You are now a cyborg. Man, the apocalypse has really turned things around for you in ways you didn't expect. Problem is... what does it do?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:40:00 am by Fniff »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Definitely the bag of . :P

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

(Dammit, I knew there was something off! Just a moment.)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wade has rubbed his cheek unconsciously during the conversation, as if scrubbing away a bad memory.

"But if they're like you..." says Emily, smiling at you. "They can't be that bad, right?"

He supposed she needed to say that...on some level, he wondered if Emily might not think about if it had been better she rather died before. Wade had rescued her, sure, but for what...

Maybe it was just another act of selfishness, he thought, slipping a thick kitchen knife into his pocket as soon as Emily left the room.

Wade sat in his 'office', hands folded. He was thinking...capital. He was running low on capital. And now he owed an ill defined 'favor' to Red. Who to his credit, was an excellent scavenger. Their continued friendship would predicated on that. He mused-It had been easier in the state pen-when an overweight security guard named Barry smuggled him a box of cigarettes every month for some special favors on the outside, mostly having to do with pliable women. Of course, Barry was dead now-Wade had killed the man himself. It wasn't personal, but...he got in the way.

He thought of the group meeting together tonight, and what they could offer each other...personally, he was lousy at the whole scavenging thing. He really didn't like to do 'grunt' work, in truth, thought most manual labor beneath him-why not get someone else to do it? Work smart, not hard...this was Wades greatest character flaw and the one that had lead him to prison, and a life as a bad man, but he was completely unaware of the fact.

He was sure he could arrange something with the military woman. He had done it before, anyway. If it was a clean job, press her until she gave him some slack. He could get the whole group a ticket for some looting, of course they didn't call it that, right...If it was on the low, well...just have the guards take a convenient break at the right times, then kick back some of what he found to her. He hadn't given her reason to betray him yet, though he thought she might need some incentive...but with Major Stallones broadcast, it might require additional finesse.

He spun the knife in his hands, it's killing edge whickering through the air. It wasn't much, but it didn't have to be.

Wade stood up, and picked up his hat from the nearby hook, slipping the blade neatly into the folds of his coat.

He knew the army woman-who had never told her name to him, though he knew it-often was standing in a certain place this time of day. If she needed something, of course...and she always did.

Action: Visit the Army Woman and try to suss out an opportunity for looting, maybe outside of the green zone even. I'm around to RP this conversation if needed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:14:32 pm by Dwarmin »

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Well not the best trip I've ever been on, not the worst one either.

Head straight back out the next morning to go hunting.
Now it never would.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Corn was a rare commodity in the Green Zone. And it would mean a break from eggs, assuming it would grow.

"You've got a deal, Gerald. I'll take the corn. Maybe it can grow, even in this blasted out land. And I'd only be out two eggs if it doesn't work."

Old Man Lee sets to work, trying to get a little corn growing on the side, away from the chickens. Maybe put up a fence?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7