Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pictures of raw gems  (Read 4903 times)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pictures of raw gems
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:10:00 am »

One moody dwarf demands raw gems.

Stocks:
Turquoise
rock crystal
rose quartz
aventurine
aquamarine
red spinel
chrysoberyl
opal
diamond
emerald
ruby
sapphire
green, clear and crystal glass

The dwarf in question has grabbed one crystal glass; apparently he demands more. The pattern is:
pictures of an ore mine, 6 blinks (3 platinum)
rough gems, 4 blinks (1 crystal glass)
skeletons, 2 blinks (horse bones)
ore mine, 2 blinks (hematite)
stacked cloth, 2 blinks (silk)
square blocks, 2 blinks (jet block)
stacked leather, 2 blinks (whale leather)

This could well become one hell of an artifact, and I'm eager to see it happen (although the dwarf in question will probably become a furnace operator).

But what coudl be the last gem? Is there anything common missing from the list, or am I stuck with the once-in-a-lifetime chance of recovering one of the really rare gems?

What also strikes me as odd is that he jumped the queue. Usually dwarves not only need specific materials, they also pick them up in a certain order. The pattern is as explained, and as we only had two platinum easily available, he sat idle until the third was mined. But then he was content with one unit of glass and went on fetching bones etc. There was another break for the jet block, he didn't go for leather until the block was made. So why did he ignore the second gem?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pictures of raw gems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I've noticed as well that the fey mood dwarves don't ALWAYS show the proper order that they want the items.  I'm not sure why, but it happens from time to time.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

I once had a moody jeweller who collected: marble,limestone,raw crystal glass,bronze bar,raw green glass,jet,jet. His request sequence was: stone,stone,rough gem,metal bar,rough gem,rough gem,stone,stone,rough gem. So he apperently missed one rough gem from the middle of the list and now was wating for that only gem absolutely necessary for his artefact of dream. I had EVERY type of rough gems and 3 types of raw glass except for the rare gems. All in bins in a stockpile next to that jeveller and not tasked for anything. Then I made an investigation about that dwarf and among all other things he liked "red diamonds" :) )You know how this story ended... That was the only case of mood ingredients sequence violation I saw with 15 artifacts costructed.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

isn't there a (rare) red diamond?
Yes, according to the wiki, there are red, green, blue diamonds ("purple clovers..." sorry!)
Also ,you're missed the star ruby and star sapphire. All are rare.
Prepare for a tantrum.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

Ouch. It didn't even occur to me to check his preferences.

quote:
Originally posted by qwip:
<STRONG>Prepare for a tantrum.</STRONG>

The guy went and attacked the first being in sight, a (untrained) dog chained next to the magma flow as decoy for fireball-hurlers. The fight took place on the supposedly inaccessible tile of a forge, the dog was victorious. Although the dwarves constantly walk across that tile, they were unable to pick up the remains. So, there wasn't much of a tantrum as such but a mighty stink has been raised nonetheless.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

Yeah, I had a guy who, while looking for rough gems, had diamonds in his preferences but apparently didn't want them.  I tried for a while to satisfy him, but pretty soon I just pre-emptively stationed some soldiers by the workshop for the inevitable berserking.

Bugger wound up killing two recruits with his pickaxe before the third recruit took him down...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

I like it best when they just start running around babbling.

White Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:21:00 am »

Yeah I like the babling too. I once had a crafstsdwarf when babling go insane strip, and then throw himself into the cave river drwoning himself.
on''t think about me. It makes you easier to eat.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

insane dwarves are deadly throwers

from the forge on the far side of the magma they hurl XXcopper shortswordXXs with flawless accuracy across the whole length of the fortress, decapitating people outside

code:

Victim...Outdoor river...Fortress main gate...River...Chasm...Magma...Fey dwarf

diagram not to scale

toady, is this intended?

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I too have had fey dwarves go crazy due to the lack of a rare gem. Perhaps these gems should be given their own small (maybe 2 tiles) deposits way deep in the earth near the adamantine and demon pits, that way you could have a guaranteed chance of finding them instead of digging up every diamond on the map and never getting a colored one.

And about the throwing, I too have noticed that insane dwarves are quite amazing throwers. Even tantruming dwarves can be deadly - I had one tantrum while carrying a stack of coins to his room, (lost masterpiece, his bolt fell in the chasm on a monster) and he then proceeded to throw every single coin all around the dining room, and killed everything inside. I had bloody dollar signs EVERYWHERE. He "took joy in the slaughter" and "enjoyed throwing something recently", didn't have any bad thoughts about SLAUGHTERING everyone and everything in the dining room. He even killed the hammerer that tried to come get him. Afterwards he was arrested by the sheriff and eventually was released and went back to being my legendary weaponsmith.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

No no no! You had it all wrong, schnobs. Press "t" and scroll over to the building the fey dwarf is in. It will display all the items he's collected. In the "q" menu, he'll still be drawing/asking for the stuff, even if he already has it.   ;)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>No no no! You had it all wrong, schnobs. </STRONG>

Did you even read the original post?