Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63

Author Topic: Only War: Warband OOC FULL  (Read 50271 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Only War: Warband OOC FULL
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »

This is going to be a play by post game of Only War running a custom campaign I've been messing around with a bit for the past month or two. If you're not already aware, Only War is set in the Warhammer 40K universe in which you play as the rag-tag members of the Emperor's Finest, the Imperial Guard. They are the men and women who do the Imperium's dirty work, being sent out in gigantic waves to conquer and defend planets against heretical and xeno interests. The players will create the regiment in which their characters will be apart of, define its history, it's purpose, and other miscellaneous bits of information for their regiment to determine the squad's general role in combat. Then, the player's create their own guardsmen and will form a squad that will fight together against the forces determined to see humankind fall.

Basic knowledge of the Warhammer 40K universe will be required to play, but only basic knowledge. No experience in the game is required at all, and anyone from a complete newbie to a veteran of the games is allowed to play. I have a decent amount of experience in running Only War myself, having run it for multiple sessions for the group I was in, but since that was only the beta version you may have to bear with me when it comes to mechanics.

If you're interested, post your interest in the thread along with your experience with the system/lore. I'd like for this to have a good amount of roleplay, so make sure you're able to invest in a play by post roleplaying game with a good amount of combat thrown in. If you have/can get the rulebooks yourself, then great. If you're unable to however, then PM me and I can provide you with the information needed to get going. For those of you with access to the rulebooks, I'll be the "Hammer of the Emperor" supplement to be used, since it's really the only player supplement for Only War so far.

I'll reveal the general setting and theme of the campaign once both the regiment and the characters are created, I don't want the planet you'll be fighting on influence the decisions you make during character/regiment creation. Feel free to start throwing out suggestions for regiment types as well if you know the system!

Spoiler: Elfeater (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Remuthra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Harbingerjm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cheesecake (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powder Miner (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spinal Tap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:32:12 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Only War: Warband OOC 0/6
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »

I'm in. I've never played Only War or WH40k, but I've read extensively on the setting's lore. I've even gone past TV Tropes!
As to how much effort I can put in...look at my history. If you want more specifics, look at RotMG.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »

I'll look into the books and try joining this, although I have only the most rudimentary knowledge of 40K.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:39 pm »

I have fairly extensive knowledge of 40k though it's limited to tau, chaos, IG and space marines.

I've never used this exact setting before though,
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:52:28 pm »

I'm in. I've never played Only War or WH40k, but I've read extensively on the setting's lore. I've even gone past TV Tropes!
As to how much effort I can put in...look at my history. If you want more specifics, look at RotMG.
No problem, I don't really mind teaching people how to play. It's not super difficult to learn, compared to other games. As long as you have some kind of experience playing other RPG's, I don't really mind.

I'll look into the books and try joining this, although I have only the most rudimentary knowledge of 40K.
Reading the fluff present in the books is a good way to get acquainted with the lore, but really just look around for reading material. It's pretty easy to pick up and get the general gist of.

I have fairly extensive knowledge of 40k though it's limited to tau, chaos, IG and space marines.

I've never used this exact setting before though,
As long as you understand the lore, no problem! Only War compares to me are generally less focused on the overall lore, and more focused on the lore of the regiment and the world their fighting on anyways. Since I'm creating the worlds you'll be visiting, I'll be introducing the lore to you anyways, and you guys will pretty much be creating the basic lore of your regiment so it's no big deal.

Remember, if you need any of the rulebooks or help with the rules just PM, I'd be more than happy to help out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:55:04 pm »

I am interested! I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to RPGs And a meh amount for WH40K. But just to be sure, this is play by post?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:41 pm »

I am interested! I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to RPGs And a meh amount for WH40K. But just to be sure, this is play by post?
Yes, it's play by post. As long as you get the general idea behind HOW to play an RPG you should be fine. This is just a brief overview, but the game is largely based around rolling two d10's (One die is the tens digit, the other the singles digit)for most tasks. If it's just a general statistic check, then you roll your two d10's and try to roll under that statistic, adding or removing any modifiers to that roll. Pretty simple.
Welcome to Reality.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only War: Warband OOC 3/6
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:50 pm »

I've sent the PM.

How much do we get to decide on our regiment? Like will we design how experienced it is and what kind of regiment, what kind of how many men it has and go into detail?

Or you design it and we just give basic additions?

Reading now.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:10 pm »

Oh my yes! I haven't actually read much of Only War (just skimmed a sourcebook or two), but I have a good knowledge of Rogue Trader and some knowledge of Dark Heresy, so there's that, and I have a fairly good knowledge of 40K lore. And also UNDYING FEALTY TO GLORIOUS IMPERIUM.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

Yup, just read the rulebook. In the rulebook it sort of just wants you to determine the basics of your regiment, but I'd like some kind of expansion of that. Like what kind of planet the regiment came from, what it's like there, what it's like in the regiment, etc.

Oh my yes! I haven't actually read much of Only War (just skimmed a sourcebook or two), but I have a good knowledge of Rogue Trader and some knowledge of Dark Heresy, so there's that, and I have a fairly good knowledge of 40K lore. And also UNDYING FEALTY TO GLORIOUS IMPERIUM.
Wonderful, I've only played Only War somewhat frequently and have a bit of knowledge regarding the other systems, but from what I've seen the basic mechanics are similar. You'll adapt quite easily.
Welcome to Reality.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »

Oh Noes! Not statistics! Those things hate me! Haha my dumb luck is sorely lacking. So whoever is with me will have a blast!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Only War: Warband OOC 5/6
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:11 pm »

Also, if you see any reference towards a "Comrade" mechanic, feel free to ignore it. Basically to simulate the general size of the Imperial Guard, most players would have an NPC they'd also control. I don't really like that mechanic, so I'm not rolling with it. Any NPC's fighting with you will be solely controlled by myself.
Welcome to Reality.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:04 pm »

Soooo, regiment. Personally I'd like to just use the premade cadian shock troopers. WHat about everybody else?
Now it never would.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »

I'd prefer it if you guys made your own regiment, and whatnot. At least just the basic choices given in the rulebook, and a general idea of where your regiment is done. I can handle the history/officers/commanders of the regiment pretty easily.
Welcome to Reality.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »

I won't be chiming in on regiment until probably tomorrow, for want of reading time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63