Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metalsmiths going insane, no magma forge or iron  (Read 654 times)

Oplem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Metalsmiths going insane, no magma forge or iron
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Help! I hit the magma a bit earlier than I expected, and now whenever the metalsmiths go into a strange mood, they just sit around until they go crazy and kill themselves/go bezerk. I realize that they need a magma forge, but unfortunately I have not found any iron ore to make steel. I've been digging like crazy between the chasm and the magma river and no luck.

Additionally, I can't seem to bridge the magma no matter what type of rock I use.

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metalsmiths going insane, no magma forge or iron
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

You need steel to make a bridge over the magma river.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »

This is a common question: "Where's the iron ore?" answered just below.  In the future please search some before posting a new thread.

As said there by toady, In order to find iron (and other) ore, the very best method is to dig a single wide mine hall straight up and down, since all veins are mainly horizontal... and then if nothing is found dig two more mining halls in the same manner. By then you should have found plenty of veins to follow of every type.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

The hematite is there somewhere... you've just got to look for it. Jaqie is right - digging long vertical lines evey twenty or so spaces is the easiest way to find each seam, and if you dig across to the magma or chasm every so often it lets you look a good distance up and down the edge of the feature to see if any hematite is there - this can save time sometimes