Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: snip  (Read 17055 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12, One of the few remaining sanctuaries of the Internet.
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:05 pm »

... You'd also need to let new accounts create threads in the Help Section since that's the reason most people register in the first place.
I don't agree, but I do agree that a single thread or forum to attract trap the spammers would be a good idea.  You could even call it "The Spam Folder - If you're a spammer, please post a new thread here". 

Another option is: Limiting brand new accounts to one post (or thread) per day for their first 5/10/whatever posts is also another method of reducing their impact.

That way, you get the perfect method of spammers/spam-bots identifying themselves;  They post once per 24 hours, they can only start threads in one forum only spammers/spambots use, and no humans would ever post there.  Spam-bot flypaper, activate!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »

... We need to find a way to fend off these attackers. Also, the community seems to be slowly fading. We need to find a way to attract people without calling trolls in.

What do you think?

Don't allow new accounts outside of north american/some-other-list-of-countries IP address space.

Yeah, because everybody knows that there is no bots/spammers/trolls in north america!

Bytt

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PAINTS:THIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

Yeah, because everybody knows that there is no bots/spammers/trolls in north america!

Not to mention how easy it is to proxy up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »

... We need to find a way to fend off these attackers. Also, the community seems to be slowly fading. We need to find a way to attract people without calling trolls in.

What do you think?
A few things that come to mind.. (all of which are varying degrees of good & bad)

Don't allow new accounts outside of '@gmail.com' email addresses.
Don't allow new accounts outside of north american/some-other-list-of-countries IP address space.
Don't allow new accounts to create new threads, until they post in an already existing thread.
Don't allow new accounts to create new threads until they have posted in several existing threads

and my personal favorite...
Don't allow new accounts to create new threads until they have posted in several existing threads and several weeks of time has passed between posts.  This gives the community time to report the posts and mods to delete the accounts before they start spamming.  Add in '@gmail.com' email registrations only for extra tasty fun.
Couldn't think of a better way to kill this forum. With all the bay watchers expelled from the internets, that would mean they would have to disperse into the various governments of the world, biding. First the space stations, then the world.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 04:23:42 pm »

Congratulations, you have managed to create the Bay12 World State by restricting entry to Bay12! If you restrict Bay12 entry, you restrict democracy!

You know, I really think we shouldn't do anything. Everything we could do would be extremely authoritarian and might end up restricting the amount of people we get into the forums, and ultimately lead to it's death. There's a baseline number of people who go AFK, it's just natural, but if it catches up with the amount of people joining you have a problem.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

How depressing, now I have nowhere to put my interesting pictures I saved from the internet.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 07:14:48 pm »

How depressing, now I have nowhere to put my interesting pictures I saved from the internet.
Put them here! After all, this thread could use a lot more de-railing.

we had rails?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »

No, we have sails. The thread goes in the direction of where the discussion blows, but it turns on a whim and will not remain on one topic forever.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »

No, we have sails. The thread goes in the direction of where the discussion blows, but it turns on a whim and will not remain on one topic forever.

speaking of sails what sail do you like the most

i prefer the genoa for the mere fact it's the maximum sail per sail you can get without being ridiculous

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »

speaking of sails what sail do you like the most

i prefer the genoa for the mere fact it's the maximum sail per sail you can get without being ridiculous

Perhaps we should focus on the topic that's the most

8)

Sailient.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2013, 07:40:46 pm »

Oar you guys really making ship puns now? Fine, whatever floats your boat.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:08 pm »

Oar you guys really making ship puns now? Fine, whatever floats your boat.
And you fancy yourself galleont enough to not join in?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:45 am »

Yeah, thats us.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]