Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hermit challenge, how?  (Read 5906 times)

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermit challenge, how?
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:52:47 am »

I want to try the hermit challenge. The problem is the immigrants. I set the population cap to 0, but after first 2 waves they still keep coming. When I play without killing the other dwarves they stop coming after 2 waves. But when I kill them new immigrants keep coming. I hate it beacuse I have to keep making slabs and also dead dwarves' belonging are everywhere.

Is there a good way to stop immigrants.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit challenge, how?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:18:06 am »

You have to meet with the liason who then knows you're over your pop cap (of 0) who then returns home to report on that to get the waves to stop.  I've never tried it with a 0 cap before, though.

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:28:59 am »

I met with the liason but it didn't stop immigrants from coming. May be I should change pop cap to some higher number?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:12 am »

I thought you have to wait for the caravan to return home to report you are over the limit, not meeting the liaison. However, there is also a dfhack command to report it immediately.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:21 am »

Yeah, it's when the liason leaves the map (I think) that he'll actually report home.  From akursah's response however it sounds like it's a few seasons later.

Try a pop cap of 1.  Your hermit still reaches the limit and it's possible that 0 does something odd, like make it uncapped or something, but that's a sheer guess.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 03:42:36 am »

I´ve heard that a to low popcap means that the cap em ignored. Read it somewherer in this forum.
so I think you need to set the cap as high as 5,7 or 10 to make it work.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:47:11 am »

The first two migrant waves are hardcoded, you can't disable em in any way.
All other migrant waves respect the population cap, and it's the dwarven caravan that reports your population to the capital.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:05:46 am »

I´ve heard that a to low popcap means that the cap em ignored. Read it somewherer in this forum.
That's not true.
I do not know about popcap set to 0, but popcaps as low as 1 are NOT ignored.
The first two waves are hardcoded. The migrants will stop coming if the fortress is too dangerous (too many dead migrants) or if the popcap has been reached AND reported to the mountainhomes.
The easiest non-DFHack way to do this would be by letting the first 2 waves in and killing them once the diplomat is out of the map. Use burrows to select your hermit, and burrow all the other dwarves outside without food or drink.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:08:56 am »

That's not true.
I do not know about popcap set to 0, but popcaps as low as 1 are NOT ignored.
The first two waves are hardcoded. The migrants will stop coming if the fortress is too dangerous (too many dead migrants) or if the popcap has been reached AND reported to the mountainhomes.
The easiest non-DFHack way to do this would be by letting the first 2 waves in and killing them once the diplomat is out of the map. Use burrows to select your hermit, and burrow all the other dwarves outside without food or drink.

That is what I did actually. They died. Then others came they died quickly too, because it is a glacier biome. I played that fortress for 5 years and there were like 30+ dead dwarves. Every new wave collected the belongings of the previous wave and they died of thirst like others. But they kept coming.

I will try pop cap 1. I hope it works.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 08:28:14 am »

You could gen a long word with only a few mountains and hope to get a history where dwarf civ. goes extinct. You can tsill embark and you will still get two first migrant waves, but then no more immigrants.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:14:34 am »

It takes a loooong time to discourage all the migrants from coming.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:42 am »

There is the trick where you can build & designate the mayor's office larger than it needs to be, then put fortifications in the middle.  The liason will be able to walk up and talk to your guy still, without contamination of the hermitage.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:59 am »

And then have your hermit kill him with a crossbow.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 11:52:56 am »

I want to try the hermit challenge. The problem is the immigrants. I set the population cap to 0, but after first 2 waves they still keep coming. When I play without killing the other dwarves they stop coming after 2 waves. But when I kill them new immigrants keep coming. I hate it beacuse I have to keep making slabs and also dead dwarves' belonging are everywhere.

Is there a good way to stop immigrants.
In your save folder, in the directory \raw\objects\
in the file entity_default.txt
in the section:
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
(near the beginning of the file.)
remove the line:
[ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]

This will stop all liaison visits, and all caravan visits.  Set your population cap to 1 or 7 or something small.  With respect to migrant waves, you should only get the first two.  If you can kill off all but one dwarf (via atomsmashing or whatever else), you're set.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 11:56:59 am »

You can embark free of migrants if your site is surrounded by water on all sides, so that there are no map edges to spawn on.  Beware, this will also prevent goblins.

Otherwise, just keep atomsmashing.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: [1] 2 3