Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hermit challenge, how?  (Read 5902 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit challenge, how?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »

Set your population cap to 1 or 7 or something small.  With respect to migrant waves, you should only get the first two. 
This is not true. Small populations (below 4?) ignore the population cap setting and generate migrants.

I ran a hermit game for 30-40 years using a dfhack script to remove the scheduled migrants event at the start of each season. I'll post it tonight. I think there's a way to make a script run automatically every season, which would prevent migrants in a hermit game.

I think you could erase the array that designates which map edges are valid arrival points for migrants, but this would also break caravans and possibly break invasions.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Also, what the heck happened to the Hermits United Community Game??

Was I the only one who made it to ten years? My little guy showed up to the meeting with Forgotten Beast silk socks and nobody was there to hear the story!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:12 pm »

Set your population cap to 1 or 7 or something small.  With respect to migrant waves, you should only get the first two. 
This is not true. Small populations (below 4?) ignore the population cap setting and generate migrants.

I ran a hermit game for 30-40 years using a dfhack script to remove the scheduled migrants event at the start of each season. I'll post it tonight. I think there's a way to make a script run automatically every season, which would prevent migrants in a hermit game.

I think you could erase the array that designates which map edges are valid arrival points for migrants, but this would also break caravans and possibly break invasions.
Population is reported by the liasion/caravan, right?  if you get above popcap, have a liasion report it, then atomsmash all future liasions and caravans (as well as the spare bodies that got you your popcap requirement), you should have no more migrants unless someone escapes to tell the mountainhomes you're alone.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »

The point of removing the caravans and liaisons is so there is no reporting.  That's what makes it work.  Hence, if you do the first part of my post, the second part will actually work.

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 04:19:07 am »

Pop cap 1 seems to work. It is the 3rd year and no immigrants except the first two waves. Liason and caravans are still coming but I don't interact with them. I will try Vjek's solution for them.

I had to kinda cheat a little. My hermit gone stark raving mad after all her friends died from thirst. So I selected one of the dwarves from the first wave as the new hermit. But he became very unhappy after his wife died. I made him a great bedroom and dining room. So after a few sleep and eating he became happy again. But at the next wave he became unhappy again and when I looked to his thougths I saw he lost a child. There were 5 children in the second wave and one of them was his son.

He seems fine now. Some engreavings and a good meal seems to work. He already forget about his family's death. Now there are lots of clothes around. I will take save some of them and atomsmash the rest.

Thanks to everybody for the ideas.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 06:36:50 am »

Yes, current population needs to be reported to the home civ, presumably by the caravan (never dealing with liaisons and keeping them all on your site doesn't produce fluke migration, but a screwed caravan gives you permanent 'fort attracted no migrants' messages when you're well past limit), although i wouldn't exclude some liaison influence.

Killing the caravans has a good chance of screwing up the pop cap recognition, but hey, round here, 'hermit' seems to mean 'sociopathic supervillain who invites hundreds of visitors only so s/he has something to cruelly and brutally kill'. And here i'm unwilling to play a hermit game because i can't embark with a single dwarf and find it unconscionable to purposefully murder six members of the embark group.

If you have some reservations against mass-murdering your own civ members, the hermit thread suggests you could edit your own (and possibly other caravan-sending) civ to have no 'active season'. This reportedly stops caravans and migration altogether.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:10 am »

There's a DFHack command to embark witha specified number of dwarves though.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »

startdwarf can't go below 7

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 07:56:33 pm »

startdwarf can't go below 7
A bit late on that answer, I think.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 08:12:39 pm »

Beware, this will also prevent goblins.

How is this a beware? Don’t goblins attack the fort?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 01:53:00 am »

Beware, this will also prevent goblins.

How is this a beware? Don’t goblins attack the fort?
No, they won't until you either provoke them by raiding them, or pass a siege permission trigger. The only trigger enabled in the default raws is the pop one, and it's set at a pop of 80. It takes a lot of time to breed that many dorfs...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 06:52:59 am »

Thanks, I’ve never been invaded, I just hear everyone here talking about goblin sieges. Thank you for clarification

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »

You could also enlist all other dwarfs into the military, and send them to get a demonic slab. Keep sending them, and none will survive

zhamz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 11:20:27 pm »

No, they won't until you either provoke them by raiding them, or pass a siege permission trigger. The only trigger enabled in the default raws is the pop one, and it's set at a pop of 80...

On my current fortress I have been keeping my pop low.  On year five I got sieged (said siege at top of screen) with a pop of 42.  13 goblin archers.   I had never sent out a mission or raid.

So maybe there is another trigger other than pop 80 or raiding.

As for this OLD topic would be fun to try a 'Caster's Keep' fortress.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 12:12:32 am »

No, they won't until you either provoke them by raiding them, or pass a siege permission trigger. The only trigger enabled in the default raws is the pop one, and it's set at a pop of 80...

On my current fortress I have been keeping my pop low.  On year five I got sieged (said siege at top of screen) with a pop of 42.  13 goblin archers.   I had never sent out a mission or raid.

So maybe there is another trigger other than pop 80 or raiding.

As for this OLD topic would be fun to try a 'Caster's Keep' fortress.

Pretty sure wealth triggers sieges, they usually occur if you build a lot of fancy rooms with nice furniture and/or put in a few artifacts, often well before you are anywhere close to 80 dwarves.  Proximity to goblin civs / necro towers helps a lot, too. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3