Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 82656 times)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:59 pm »

Official Trailer

Star Ruler 2 is a pausable 4X/RTS Hybrid developed by Blind Mind Studios (I'm one of the 2 BMS developers!).  It's set in an original sci-fi setting at near-future tech levels - though it ends with the construction of entirely theoretical constructs such as Ringworlds.

You play as one of seven unique races [or a product of your own terrifying intellect] each with their own morph on the base gameplay (minus the 'vanilla' Terrakin).  The first four non-terrakin races are minor morphs to the gameplay and the last two alter or even entirely subvert core concepts of the game.  That's before we get into what FTL method your race uses (there are four, each have their perks and work entirely different from the others) and what Government your race adheres to.  Your job is to survive, expand, and ultimately persist in the galaxy.  Whether you wind up conquering the stars with thousands of ships hurled into the void with potent, star-crushing, weaponry - or diplomatically annexing and subjugating those who could or would stand against you - is up to you as their leader.

Star Ruler 2 runs on the Starflare Engine, a from-scratch in-house engine we built specifically for Star Ruler 2, and is releasing on PC and Linux.  It has really minimal hardware requirements, which you can check out here on the Steam store page if you like but - brass tacks - if you've got a rig that's post-2009 you should be just fine. 

Our goal was to create a 4X which tries to actually solve a lot of the problems we've had while playing other 4Xes, such as nobody having figured out a good way to do a diplomacy system that isn't Civilization's.  Meanwhile, we wanted to revisit and improve all the ideas of Star Ruler 1 like making your planets something you care about and making the economy not mind-numbing.  As a result, between the innovations and the improvements, we believe SR2 is a far superior title to the first one - despite offering a different gameplay experience.

Beginner/Default  (Recommended for those who are new to Star Ruler 2)

Advanced (Recommended for advanced players who understand the basics of the game and are ready to absorb new strategies)

Expert (Recommended for players who have mastered the core mechanics of the game and wish to learn new ones)

Star Ruler 2 Open Source Project on GitHub: [Link]

Blind Mind Studios:
James Woodall (Firgof) - Too many responsibilities to list shortly.
Andrew Ackermann (ThyReaper) - Programmer [Doesn't have a SA forum account]

Glacicle:
Lucas de Vries (GGLucas) - Programmer
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:34:52 am by Firgof Umbra »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:12 pm »

Um err uh wow.
Was this the game with the galaxy-sized ships? If so, I'll be watching this very eagerly.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:56 pm »

Was this the game with the galaxy-sized ships?
And flying planets, yep.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:17:25 pm »

Yes then I shall observe with great interest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »

Nice! Really looking forward to it, even though Star Ruler 1 had me completely at a loss when it came to ship design. I just made a ship and kept producing bigger variants of it when the other one appeared obsolete... actually did a pretty huge post about it in the relevant thread here :)

The screenshots look really nice and clean. Will be watching this eagerly! :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »

I'll go ahead and ask the biggest question...

Is tech progression still as broken?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:41:23 pm »

The new research system will be much better than SR1's.  Bigger, better, and more interesting.  It'll be a big part of what sets SR2 apart from its competitors.

Nice! Really looking forward to it, even though Star Ruler 1 had me completely at a loss when it came to ship design. I just made a ship and kept producing bigger variants of it when the other one appeared obsolete... actually did a pretty huge post about it in the relevant thread here
Working with ships should be much more intuitive than before; there's been a lot of thought and design put in to making ship designing more immediately accessible to new players and making the performance of the ship more stated.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:52:22 am by Firgof Umbra »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:06:02 pm »

The economy system described in the devlog looks good; much more interesting than the old one.  I am worried, though, that shipping all the different resources to the different planets will become ludicrously micro-heavy later on unless the galaxy scale is reduced; will there be some sort of automation system, or at least a single screen that consolidates all the information on resources and interplanetary trade?

Quote from: Dev Diary #1: The Galactic Economy
A caravan of colony ships containing fruit farmers is sent off from our homeworld.
Presumably this does not indicate that fruit farmers - and, by extension, other similar workers - are a certain unit that must be trained, and just refers to colonists in general?

Also, will ships take certain resources to build, or just currency?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »

PTF with the sqeegoggles on, as 4X is a much loved genre of mine, if much neglected of late.
This is a blank sig.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:16:58 pm »

Presumably this does not indicate that fruit farmers - and, by extension, other similar workers - are a certain unit that must be trained, and just refers to colonists in general?
Yeah, that was just Lucas being Lucas (he wrote that article).  Colonists are generic.

Also, will ships take certain resources to build, or just currency?
That's still up in the air.

I am worried, though, that shipping all the different resources to the different planets will become ludicrously micro-heavy later on unless the galaxy scale is reduced; will there be some sort of automation system, or at least a single screen that consolidates all the information on resources and interplanetary trade?
We don't believe it'll pose a problem with the way we're approaching it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:40:17 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:01 pm »

Posting to watch.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 04:41:56 pm »

Also posting to watch.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »

Posting to watch as well.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

Do want.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »

One of the largest annoyances I had with multiplayer in SR was the rather gargantuan bandwidth requirements even for a small 3 or 4 player game. Is this just something that I have to deal with, or is it possible SR2 might be a little better at this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40