Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 82165 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 02:57:44 am »

Will there be an option for multiple galaxies?

Will the game be able to handle a realistic distance scale any better than SR1?

Will there be more massive stellar objects than just stars? Such as black holes and neutron stars?

Will there be a more realistic weapon range than SR1? For example, will there still be a maximum range for kinetic weapons or will they just get less and less accurate with range?

I'm very excited to see what all improves over SR1. The ship scaling was great and I'd love if everything in the game could scale similarly, though that may be hoping for too much.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:00:12 am by Leonon »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 03:47:57 am »

Looks interesting.

Had a lot of fun with SR1 so i'm PTW.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:26 am »

So Star Ruler ceased updating after I bought it in faith it would get better with time. And now I learn there will be Star Ruler 2, which no doubt I would have to purchase to enjoy.

Figures.

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:33 am »

Linux support?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:45:35 am »

Linux support?
A native Linux build should be available at launch and kept up-to-date with the native Windows build.

So Star Ruler ceased updating after I bought it in faith it would get better with time.  And now I learn there will be Star Ruler 2, which no doubt I would have to purchase to enjoy.  Figures.
We're sorry you feel that way.  We regularly patched the game from August 2010 to October 2011 and the last patch we pushed was in August 2012. In total, over 30 patches were released for SR.  The majority of those patches added free music, art, gameplay enhancements, UI overhauls and etc. in many cases beyond what was promised on the features list.  If all this did not make the game better for you or satisfy our promise to improve the game, we apologize -- we took the game to where we felt it was complete though we recognize it is by no means flawless.

As for Star Ruler 2, many of the things we are doing in SR2 are simply not possible to do in SR1's engine.  This is a large part of the reason why we began from scratch with SR2 rather than TC/Expansion SR1.

Will the game be able to handle a realistic distance scale any better than SR1?
Starflare has much greater precision than SR's engine -- as a result, it can support vastly larger distances (SR: single precision floats for positions; SR2: double precision floats for positions).  However, 'realistic' is a matter of interpretation.  Real distances in space are so mind-numbingly vast that a single true-to-scale solar system would end up larger than the largest galaxy you could possibly play in the default game.  So, can the engine better simulate realistic distances? Yes, it is more capable of doing so now.  Will it be able to simulate 'true-to-life' distances on a galactic scale? We're afraid not.

More stellar objects?
We'll release more details about the game world closer to release.

Multiple galaxies?
Will get back to you on that.

Will there be more realistic weapon ranges? (e.g. no maximum range/diminishing accuracy over distance)
It's much more realistic than SR1 however projectiles must expire at some point; if they did not the simulation load would become impractical.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:08:13 am by Firgof Umbra »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

So Star Ruler ceased updating after I bought it in faith it would get better with time. And now I learn there will be Star Ruler 2, which no doubt I would have to purchase to enjoy.
Not really.

You can watch Let's play's for free.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »

Definitely looking forward to this.

How many features are being taken note of from, say, Galactic Armory? Vanilla Star Ruler was fun, but I feel it lacked a little bit of depth compared to the tech trees and advancement of almost being required to learn how to set up asteroid mines for your solar systems, as well as orbital electronic/advanced component/etc factories in order to balance your economy a bit better, and siphoning hydrogen off of stars and gas giants to act as fuel.

The options you had for race building also felt a bit overwhelming at first, but they let you customize the race to an extent I haven't really seen in other games. For exampleI love the computer dependent trait, and dislike the area of effect weaponry, so I end up turning them into beneficial side effects a little bit down the road with some amount of backstory in my head.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »

I am very excited for this, but I am curious as to whether the pace of the game has been slowed down at all. In SR1 it was like Armageddon 20 minutes into the game, can I go like an hour now and not encounter omnipotent space-gods hell bent on their star titans with infinite ammo bearing down on my fledgling galactic empire? I'd like to spend a large portion of the game engaging massive fleets with similar tech levels!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:21 am »

How many features are being taken note of from, say, Galactic Armory?
Reaper hasn't done more than boot in and look around.  Since he's in control of the game design, I'd say 'none'.  I'm more familiar with GA but I don't intend on trying to integrate the mod's particular features into my input.

That said, we do know why people like GA and keep those reasons in mind.

I am very excited for this, but I am curious as to whether the pace of the game has been slowed down at all.
As stated, the game is much more deliberately paced and it should play slower than SR.  Tech progression is a large part of the reason why the game feels more deliberately paced.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:51:12 am by Firgof Umbra »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 08:51:26 am »

One of the things that I would enjoy seeing in SR2 are points in the star systems that can be truly defensive in nature.  I'm a certified turtle when it comes to a great many strategy games, wanting to set up bottlenecks and gauntlets and large defense stations that aren't set around the planets themselves.  Like building a space station just outside a jump point in other games.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:19 am »

From your post, I imagine you'll be very satisfied with what you can accomplish in SR2 to that end.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:08:13 am by Firgof Umbra »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:11 am »

Cool.  I do hope so.  The way it was set up in SR1 meant that if you set up a station, it had to have a weapon range across the entire system, otherwise a nimble attack could just bypass it directly unless it was stationed right around a planet. 

On another note, I would like to ask for more information about the ship design system that SR2 is going to have.  Some of the screenshots show some things, but they're all too small to draw any conclusions upon besides the fact that the ships have a variety of cells based around the hull designs and size.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:06 am »

On another note, I would like to ask for more information about the ship design system that SR2 is going to have.
Though I'd love to talk more about the ship design system in specific (as SR2's ship handling in general is pretty cool in a variety of ways) I'm afraid we're not quite ready to show off that part of the game in detail.  I'm betting we'll do a diary on ship handling/fleets/blueprints/design at some point in the future since all that is a big component of SR2's gameplay. 

If you liked how ship designing worked in SR1 I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with what we've done with ship design in SR2.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:19:48 am by Firgof Umbra »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:03 am »

I did enjoy the wide range of components, equipment, weapons and the like available for the ship design system in SR1.  I thought it was all nifty how you could snap them together in various ways to provide bonuses to things like weapon cooling and power supplies; although the simple circle design threw me off for a long time.  And that there was only a limited selection available even through the research system.

I play almost exclusively with the Galactic Armory mod for that reason in SR1. 

From the looks of it, though, I'd imagine SR2's ship design system is a cross between SR1's, and the tile-based snap system of say, the game Stardrive, if much more expansive and freeform than the standard I, I/O, A, E system used in most design systems of that type. 

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:08 am »

Aw snap.  Star Ruler was good times.

A question - how intensive do you think the system requirements will be?  Specifically, I ask because my current laptop has an amazingly bad integrated Intel GPU, which apparently cannot even remotely handle the concept of shaders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40