Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 82697 times)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:11 am »

how intensive do you think the system requirements will be?
We're aiming to support a wide variety of computers as we did with SR1.  However, we're not able to provide a guesstimate on what hardware requirements there will be just yet.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:49:02 am by Firgof Umbra »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:35 am »

OK question. Will the comet's tails by displayed the right way around this time?

A comet's tail always points away from the sun, rather than hanging behind it.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39:41 am »

We at one point had both tails in-game but the ion tail component didn't work/look right and we never got back to it.
(This is how we wanted it to look: http://lasp.colorado.edu/education/outerplanets/images_kbos/thumbs/cometorbit.jpg)

These sorts of thing stemmed from us just not having the time or money to fix them.  Being post-launch, we were more concerned with gameplay, interaction, and bugs; leaving the aesthetics to the reluctant back-burner. 

This time around we have the time and we have the money to do it right.  (Though we will still make concessions in the interests of the game if necessary e.g. not making space as big as it actually is)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:24:07 am by Firgof Umbra »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

Here's a question for you.  In SR1 if you made a mining ship for the asteroid fields, they'd chew away at one before moving to the next.  As it all counted as a singular 'ore' instead of various resources, how will asteroid fields and comets work in SR2 with the new resources and whatnot?
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 12:31:52 pm »

how will asteroid fields and comets work in SR2 with the new resources and whatnot?
There will be asteroids but we haven't finalized their design yet.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:37:56 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 11:41:40 pm »

Last night's podcast with SpaceGameJunkie was just put up (or a little while ago -- was caught up playing Papers, Please).  I'm putting a link here and up in the OP to it if y'all want to listen.  It's a bit of a lengthy talk but we do go over a bunch of stuff in it (including game mechanics and some discussion of the kinds of changes/improvements and the sort of direction we're taking with the UI this time around).

Anywho, hope y'all enjoy the podcast.

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/sgj-podcast-25-tipping-scales-and-paper-clips-star-ruler-2/

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 08:01:43 am »

Want.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 05:25:09 pm »

Whew!  It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry to keep you all waiting but it's finally arrived!

Dev Diary: Diplomacy

In today's dev diary we'll be looking in to the subtle and treacherous battlefield of Diplomacy.  Though engaging in Diplomacy is mostly optional a Ruler who chooses to specialize in it can gain unique power over their enemies.  This power can be used as both sword and shield; providing a skillful Ruler the means to defend and expand their Empire without bloodshed and turn their enemies' strength against them.

Provoke the competent Diplomatic Ruler and in his spite you may find the Galaxy turned against you.

[ Click to read more about Star Ruler 2's Diplomacy System on Starruler2.com ]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:35:58 pm by Firgof Umbra »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 05:44:32 pm »

PTW. The original looks interesting, and the sequel does even more so. This reminds me of some of my favorite games from days past. I'll definitely be watching the development eagerly!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »

Huh. Never played Star Ruler, but this does sound interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:30 pm »

I hope the interface will be less clunky as star ruler 1.
It was often hard to cope with the scope of the game.
Ie I always felt like I had no good overview.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 07:46:26 pm »

Firgof, you stated that with diplomacy you could annex planets and subjugate others. Is there a way to, say, refuse to budge an inch and refuse to concede your power or planets to someone even if more votes were against you? What would that result in? I'd assume the answer is yes, but I don't think it'd hurt to have an official confirmation.

Another question, is it possible to undermine the diplomacy of the universe and eventually make it ineffectual? I'd imagine some players would get tired of diplomacy and decide that destroying everyone's diplomatic route to annoy them would be a more fun option.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 08:08:03 pm »

Is there a way to, say, refuse to budge an inch and refuse to concede your power or planets to someone even if more votes were against you?
At present, no, but doing mass annexes or subjugating is very expensive.  Just the act of proposing those actions costs the proposer a significant amount of influence (and additional costs on top of that the more healthy/strong the target of the proposal) and influence points generate very slowly compared to the costs of more powerful actions.  Whether there will be or not a way to do a 'damn the senate's ruling' we haven't decided yet.

is it possible to undermine the diplomacy of the universe and eventually make it ineffectual?
Hitting a player's influence-generating planets would rapidly even the playing field if they keep being diplomatically aggressive.  If the "Ban" proposals are kept then that may also be one route to go (banning all diplomatic actions, one by one). 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:35:49 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

Yeah, I'm just curious because at some point, I'd imagine some players would certainly decide they'd rather have their enemies try and take their planet or subjugate them, and make them bleed while doing so, rather than have the game force them without a single shot being fired. Even if the player can do it to them, it's one of those situations where it could be a lot less fun to have it used against you than it is to use it against your enemies for some players, thus having a net negative effect for the experience of affected players.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:47 pm »

Having to fight to keep your planets and shielding them from threats both political and military in nature is part of your job as Ruler of your Empire; losing planets to either pressure is simply part of the game.

If you disagree with your citizenry and the council's ruling but lack the political power to fight the proposition there's nothing stopping you from marching your military in, stationing them in orbit, letting the proposal pass, and then immediately reclaiming the planet.  You could also be proactive and ensure that systems which are less loyal to you or close to your enemies' borders have a military presence installed to provide some measure of defense against outside influence and that your core systems are well-defended and well-propagandized.  A fully militarily-focused Empire won't be helpless to defend themselves against a fully diplomatically-focused Empire and vice versa.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:02:30 pm by Firgof Umbra »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40