Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 82521 times)

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]
« Reply #585 on: July 25, 2018, 03:51:31 pm »

if your game is a bit of a mess it can be saved by the community, and there's a ton of games I wish could have been continued if someone had the wish to.

Unlike SR1, SR2 should be fairly easy to look into and digest if you're familiar with C++. Some of the stuff is certainly a little arcane but it's all well organized and structured. I think the most critical thing isn't just that it can now be indefinitely maintained and potentially improved -- but that it opens doors to game developers who would like to develop a 4X/RTS but don't really have a good engine with which to do so.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »

I wanted to thank you guys for doing that - even though it was a bit of an odd mix of mechanics, and released during a time where a lot of substandard space-based strategy games were crowding it out of the spotlight, SR2 stood out enough to be one of the most played games on my Steam.

There are so many games that, as mentioned above, could have stood a further test of time if they were allowed to do so. Many games keep replayability up by allowing mods, but open sourcing is one of the kindest things you can do for a community who wishes to continue improving or potentially take their own spin on the game, well after official updates have ended.

It's definitely something I'm going to take the time to take a look at and toy with for a bit, because I love seeing under the hood on how things work.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:29 am »

theres some early modding around it, but no one really has gone under the hood just yet …. the potential is there though and it is already fully playable

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:52 pm »

acutally seems there are some moves to update it and improve on it now it is gpl so its got some life in it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]